News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Glove box pissing me off

Started by 1965gp, April 30, 2015, 10:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1965gp

For some reason the glove box on my 69 Charger has taken to springing open on its own. I've played with adjusting the glove box door, adjusting the catch, all with no luck. Finally I cut one of the tension springs on the glove box door hoping it would be better if it wasn't under so  much pressure. No help at all- still does it just not a violently. Anyone else have this problem? If so how did you fix it?

RECHRGD

Common problem...  I've made many adjustments and lubrication remedies.  Some have worked fairly well.  In the end it just comes down to;  those damn old Mopars  just put down too much power to keep things aligned....
13.53 @ 105.32

terrible one

In my experience the problem is caused by the lock itself; the "foot" has a spring behind it that helps it snap back into position and when they get dirty/ weak it sticks and doesn't return all the way, so it's barely in contact with the catch when closed. I'd first try removing the lock and cleaning/ lubricating it.

Mike DC

QuoteIn my experience the problem is caused by the lock itself; the "foot" has a spring behind it that helps it snap back into position and when they get dirty/ weak it sticks and doesn't return all the way, so it's barely in contact with the catch when closed. I'd first try removing the lock and cleaning/ lubricating it.

This.

The whole latch assy is just a shite design in the first place.  Should have been better to begin with.

myk

I actually got the door to close once and vowed never to touch it again, lol...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

TPR

Quote from: myk on May 01, 2015, 06:01:15 AM
I actually got the door to close once and vowed never to touch it again, lol...

Ha. That about sums up my experience too.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

RIDELIKEHELL

I bought a new keyed lock and that solved my SPRINGING issues lol
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

kab69440

Look at the hook on your lock mechanism. It is probably worn at an angle that will allow it to slip off the catch. A few minutes with a needle file on the rear most area to make a 90deg will likely solve your problem for free.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

fireguyfire

Too funny; I was just wondering how to go about fixing my springing glove box door which has been pissing me off too! Good tips here; I'll give them a shot. I'm going to go the needle file route and make the latch 90 degrees.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

Hard Charger

I had to replace the latch also. would not pop all the way out. spent way to much time trying to fix it.

the new latch was $50

Patronus

Im leaving it, keeps me on my toes  :icon_smile_blackeye:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

MoparMotel

Same problem here...It's actually pretty funny, when I kick in the 4 barrel and it chirps the tires from 1st to 2nd my glove box will pop open lol

I've tried adjusting it many times, as well as replacing the latch... still does it. Any new ideas?
1968 Dodge Charger

myk

Quote from: MoparMotel on May 01, 2015, 05:41:20 PM
Same problem here...It's actually pretty funny, when I kick in the 4 barrel and it chirps the tires from 1st to 2nd my glove box will pop open lol

I've tried adjusting it many times, as well as replacing the latch... still does it. Any new ideas?

You replaced the latch like the others have and it still pops open?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Baldwinvette77

wow, all of a sudden my fridge magnets and gate hinges dont seem so bad after all  :lol:

1965gp

Glad I'm not the only one- thought I was going insane and my kids were starting to make fun of me for not being able to figure out how to fix it.

I will order a new latch and see if it helps- thanks!

Charger-Bodie

I make the screen door catch not springy . Cures it. ... Unscrew it, insert a plastic push in clip where each spring is and reinstall. Works every time.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

fireguyfire

What do you mean by a plastic push in clip?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

myk

Eh, I thought about taking the door off and just treating it like an open cubby hole in the dash, or something.  It's not as if I can actually reach over far enough to open the door anyway, lol...

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: fireguyfire on May 02, 2015, 01:10:50 AM
What do you mean by a plastic push in clip?

There mainly used for splash shields and trim on newer cars. They have a flat head and the shaft of the kinda looks like a Christmas tree.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

VegasCharger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on May 02, 2015, 05:27:23 AM
There mainly used for splash shields and trim on newer cars. They have a flat head and the shaft of the kinda looks like a Christmas tree.

You mean like these?

Charger-Bodie

Yes. Push them in (one each side)as far as you can force them. Trim off the remainder. And, screw it back down.

Nickrc3

QuoteSame problem here...It's actually pretty funny, when I kick in the 4 barrel and it chirps the tires from 1st to 2nd my glove box will pop open lol
..oh yeah, remember that well! Back in my High School days I would deliberately take those non-Mopar Guy's out for a little ride. That 1st to 2nd gear shift would be so violent, the glove box door would fly open and all contents fall on the lap of the passenger. Great stuff!

The other cool thing was the raw acceleration through 1st to 3rd would force windshield washer fluid out of the cowling squirters onto the windshield.

fastmark

Hey they are supposed to do that. Lol. I know I've hit the shift on the ole 4 speed when the door flies open. 😉

Ghoste

Yeah, its your cars way of telling you its time for subframe connectors. :drive: :lol:

charger Downunder

Guys just trade up to a 70 problem solved. :nana:
[/quote]