News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many of you deleted your exterior antenna?

Started by MxRacer855, May 09, 2015, 09:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Chose to get rid of mine and I'm just wondering how common of a decision that is.

Jeff

rebby

I left the provision for it on one of my 69's since I was able to keep the factory fender. My other 69 needed a new fender and AMD shipped the new one w/out the cut out for the antenna so I left it that way. I'll go with one of the "hidden" antennas in that car.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Dino

I want to replace mine with a power antenna so I can run the car through the car wash.  If there was no big hole in the fender I'd get a hidden antenna as well.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ACUDANUT

I don't know much, but mine unscrews and I throw it in the 70 when it has a car cover on it.  But my other Mopar's don't work that way.  :shruggy:

Charger-Bodie

Same amd story here. My new 68 fenders came without the hole so I opted to run a hidden antenna.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cdr

i welded up the hole on mine,, i thought about a Challenger T/A style one but never did it.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

MxRacer855

The exact same story with mine.
My OEM fenders were absolute garbage so I went with AMD ones.
The AMD ones come without the hole in them, so I chose to run it that way.

Like you guys, I'll opt for a hidden antenna as well.   :2thumbs:

Jeff

XH29N0G

Mine never had an antenna or hole for it, and I like it that way.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

myk

What's this hidden antenna you're all speaking of?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

MxRacer855

I've never actually seen one, I just know they exist.

I think it just wraps around behind the dash and peaks out into the fender or something...  :shruggy:

moparguy01

Have you ever seen an auto start antennae mounted on top of a windshield inside the car? Some look like that. Others go under the dash or a fender. They are usually 4-6" wide plastic t shaped prices with a wire to plug it in to the radio.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 09, 2015, 11:22:23 AM
I don't know much, but mine unscrews and I throw it in the 70 when it has a car cover on it.  But my other Mopar's don't work that way.  :shruggy:

Nobody else can unscrew their antenna ?

xoman60

Mine is electric. I would post a pic but the previous owner made a youtube video which is how I found the car and bought it. Check it out. The antenna part is about halfway through the video I think.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZNX-vAUbG4. Just copy and paste in google.

cavemanno1

That antenna cap is so cool,i love it,never seen it before!Is it factory or the previous owner fabricated it?Does anyone repop these?

JB400

That is pretty cool, the antenna cap.  Car looks good as well.

plum500

That antenna cap is very 007. Cool. I suppose you could take it one step further and have the cap actually be body color and level with the fender as well...

polywideblock

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 11, 2015, 01:16:35 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 09, 2015, 11:22:23 AM

Nobody else can unscrew their antenna ?

both the 71's have screw off antennas  :yesnod: 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

new2muscle

I replaced the mast on mine with a 3" black "stubby" antenna. It just kinda disappears. 

Steve

xoman60

The previous owner was a machinist so he might have made it. I know he made a lot of things on the car. Like the air cleaner, valve covers, hood latch and a bunch of other stuff. The antenna cap has charger engraved on it also. I don't think the video shows that.

Chargen69

Bob T

Mines still installed. At some stage its been cross threaded so its really locked in there.
Its also got some factory QQ1 paint still on it part way up the mast so I'm okay with leaving it there, been there since 7th Sept 1967 after all  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Barfyspitz

Why did Brett Parker sell it?  That's amazing I can't imagine selling the car I had for 30 years! You can totally see the pen a star on that antenna cap...that's awesome

Lord Warlock

not me, kept the antenna that was on it when I got it.  Mine has a spring near the base so you can bend it down to the fender and not damage the shaft, I wouldn't worry about taking it through a car wash, although I never run it extended, its tall enough as is.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

ws23rt

Quote from: Lord Warlock on June 29, 2015, 10:26:22 PM
not me, kept the antenna that was on it when I got it.  Mine has a spring near the base so you can bend it down to the fender and not damage the shaft, I wouldn't worry about taking it through a car wash, although I never run it extended, its tall enough as is.

I too have a spring type antenna on one of my cars. It is an easy target for those that need to point out what's correct. :lol:

What is also correct for the time is a coat hanger antenna.---Most will comment differently about that. :smilielol:

Dino

I figured I should check my antenna and it too unscrews at the base.  I wish I had done that sooner, now I can finally run it through the car wash!  I can't get the am radio to work properly anyway.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

DixieRestoParts

For you guys that got rid of your original telescoping antenna, I need one if you still have it and want to sell. Please PM me. Looking for a nice one for a resto I'm doing and for my beater.

:2thumbs:
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price