News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine backfires through carb, bogs when given gas then picks up

Started by resq302, March 29, 2006, 11:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Ok, the engine is freshly rebuilt as well as the carb.  What started happening yesterday was that the engine took a little while of cranking over before it would fire up.  After it was running and up to normal operating temp.  If you floored the gas pedal, it would backfire through the carb.  If you step on the gas half way, the engine dies and then picks up if you let off the gas.

The dwell on the points was just set to factory spec and the timing was done the same as well.  Prior to yesterday, the engine ran strong and had no problems at all.  Could the engine be breaking in and the timing needs to be adjusted more?  Could the carb need to be richened or leaned out?

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RD

man that sounds like it could be a number of things.  does the engine smooth out at around 1500 rpm?  have you pulled a spark plug(s) to see the electrodes?  How old is your coil? what type of spark is it giving?  It could be a combination of things such as vacuum leak, carburetor flooding (i.e. stuck floats), bad ignition wires, cracked distributor cap, corroded points, bad ballast resistor, etc etc.

what kind of carburetor do you have?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

If is a TQ I'll be checking my carb AGAIN LOL... I still have backfiring, not frequently as before but still do.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

beenaround

Rolling_Thunder

my car was doing similar things...   ended up being a  combination of too much timing and too rich on the carb...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip