News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANYONE HEARD OF A.R.T. Rack & Pinion

Started by Steve P., March 27, 2006, 11:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

While looking at some cars on e-bay, I saw a 64' "B" body with a A.R.T. rack & pinion built into a modified K-frame.  This looks very much like something I have been talking to a few people about doing and now I see that someone has allready done it.

I spoke with the owner of the car and he thought ART stood for ADVANCED RACING TECHNOLOGY. I googled the name and came up with everything but anything to do with steering racks.

So I am looking for info on the company A.R.T.. Also any other input on the subject of a rack set forward of the spindles.

So far the best in my book of bolt on's is the ALTER-K-TION.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Blown70

Yes has been discussed.  I would order with the Sway bar.  1.25? :icon_smile_cool:

Tom

Steve P.

Ok, maybe I should explain better.

I have been gathering parts to build a modified K-frame with a rack built into it for a forward steer spindle. Something that would not be very expensive to do and could be done with mostly factory/boneyard/parts house parts.

Kind of like all these disc brake systems. Spend thousands or spend an afternoon at the pick-n-pull and a few bucks...   To me, that's the definition of HOT RODDING. I definitely would consider myself an old time HOT RODDER........   ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

What are you trying to achieve, Steve? If you're like me I don't like the looseness of our cars' steering at freeway speeds so I've often thought it would be nice to somehow attach a speed switch to the power steering system so the pump would stop turning at say 20 mph. Basically you would have manual steering above 20 mph and power steering below 20 mph.

Steve P.

The biggest gain to this idea is being able to use a oil pan that holds plenty of oil and does NOT hang 4 inches below the K-frame. Putting the steering in front of the pan makes a world of difference. You would also lose some weight up front.

This idea may not be for everyone. Nor is a 4-door Charger, but they are selling!! ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Mike DC

There's also another handling benefit to a front-steer car.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Let's say you're leaning into a corner hard, and the rubber control arm bushings are flexing:

Bushing flex is gonna let the outside wheel move inwards (in relation to the frame of the car) because of the cornering force on it.
Well, when this happens, a rear-steered car's outside wheel will turn MORE, tightening the car's turn (oversteers under pressure).  But a front-steered car will steer LESS in that situation (understeers under pressure). 

Of course, the front-steered car's understeering tendency is considered safer & more predictable.