News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc Brakes on an '03 Ram ???

Started by Chris G., July 20, 2005, 10:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris G.

Maybe some of you guys can help with this.

I have a little over 15K on the Ram1500 4x4 now, and being out of warranty, the dealer says I need new rotors and pads. What ever happened to cutting them? I wasn't aware they were a throw away item nowadays. Anyway, I'm going to do it myself and it shouldn't be a problem as I have done many a brake jobs. My only question is, do I need to worry about the ABS at all? It should be an easy swap right?

Ghoste

The ABS shouldn't be a problem.  Disposable rotors came along about the same time as the Iacocca cars.  There may be a cut on them but you need to find a spec.
Invest in one of those Haynes manuals for the truck.  They're cheap and they should have that info plus torque specs.

Chryco Psycho

I have a full set up if you want to pay shipping

Silver R/T

you mean you need rotors turned? theyre $24 for a job at local parts store
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Telvis

I went to AutoZone about six months ago to have some rotors turned and they told me they don't do them anymore. They ended up being fairly cheap to buy new. I guess the days of turning rotors are over.

Plumcrazy

ABS is no problem
You may be able to cut them but late model Daimler-Chrysler rotors are practically biodegradable when it comes to rust,maybe that's why they recommended replacing them.   I would price out aftermarket rotors and refinishing the old ones before I decided.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Definately replace them.  harder to find a reputable shop that can put a good surface on the old ones.  You'll wind up doing the job twice....trust me.

Buy all new and be over with it.  Dont worry about the ABS as well.

if you need help call me

PS try www.rockauto.com for prices
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chris G.

At this point I will just do it myself. I know the pads have alot left on them, but the rotors are obviously warped. I gotta go find a block of wood to jack this behemoth up with.

Chrycho, thank you a ton for the offer, but you may need them someday. I was hoping to do this job this Saturday. Should only cost me around $100 for everything. Sure beats the $350 they wanted to bang me for.

:2thumbs:

Ghoste

Even brand new the current rotors are almost too thin.  One cut and they'll warp as soon as you use them hard.  Get new and be done with it.

Telvis

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on July 20, 2005, 05:00:08 PM
At this point I will just do it myself. I know the pads have alot left on them, but the rotors are obviously warped. I gotta go find a block of wood to jack this behemoth up with.

Chrycho, thank you a ton for the offer, but you may need them someday. I was hoping to do this job this Saturday. Should only cost me around $100 for everything. Sure beats the $350 they wanted to bang me for.

:2thumbs:
I may be reading your post wrong. Are you planning to reuse the old pads?
I'm no expert by any stretch (although sometimes I like to act like I am). Don't reuse the old brake pads. If you are changing out the rotors get new pads too. The pads get glazed sometimes and will squeek like a mother. Also some of the pads I have used with lifetime warranties will warp your rotors faster than others. I think they just don't wear quickly enough and cause the rotors to get too hot. I had that problem with several sets made by Performance Friction. Chryco can probably shed more light on this than I can. I'm only speaking from personal experience.

Ghoste

inhrmswy

I must be a lucky one with my 03 Ram.  Ive got 46k miles on it and havent had to do squat to the brakes yet.  So far all thats been done is regular oil changes.   :icon_smile_cool:

twilt

Yes,   you should be concerned about the ABS system while performing a brake job.  Open the bleeder screw on individual calipers before pushing the piston back in. when you push the piston in, you want to push the fluid out the bleeder, not back up thru an ABS system. While it is rare, failure to do so can cause damage to the ABS system.
On the rotors, its all about specs. chances are that if they are not metal to metal, you should be able to get at least one turn out them though. i would prefer to turn old rotors than replace with new. not because of price, but it is not unusual to get new rotors that are warped straight out of the box. a lot of new rotors are manufactured in 3rd world countiries and China. poor manufacturing and poor storage/handling of the rotors prior to sale seem to be contributing factors in them being warped even when new. Also, be sure the clean off the rust inhibiting coating off the rotors prior to use. failure to do so can result in other issues such as smoke, grabbing, pulsating, etc etc.

Steve P.

I agree with Twilt. I have seen problems with ABS due to improperly done brake jobs. It's easy to open the bleeder and squeeze the piston back into the caliper. If you put a short hose on the bleeder into a clear container you can even check for contaminants. Just do one corner at a time and you will have no problems..

As far as the rotors go, unless you are going to a high dollar aftermarket company for cross drilled or other high end tricks, use Canadian made rotors. ITT comes to mind. The price is right and the quality is high.   Many rotors do come right out of the box warped. I have used Canadian made rotors for 25+ years without any problem.. Even for all those years I lived in New York..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Plumcrazy

Just push the pistons back in the calipers.  That will not cause an ABS problem.

twilt

Quote from: Plumcrazy on July 22, 2005, 12:55:08 PM
Just push the pistons back in the calipers.  That will not cause an ABS problem.
I will have to respectfully disagree with that advice. While it is rarely a problem,  it can be.  due to the large expense of a new ABS unit, why take chances?  all of the brake  classes/seminars that i have been to since the advent of ABS brakes have always advised the tech to open the bleeders before pushing the pistons back in. Yes, many old timers ignore the advice and are lucky enough to not get burnt. However, that doesnt make their advice good or practices sound. 

Plumcrazy

I have worked on every ABS system that Chrysler has put on one of their vehicles. Believe me some were junk!
Chrysler has never required any special procedure on ABS systems to replace the brake pads, just push the piston back in.

There were some oddball ways to push the rear pistons back in but that was related to the parking brake.

On a Chrysler vehicle, just push the piston back in. You won't hurt the ABS unit.

On another brand vehicle, I admit ???????????????????????

Ghoste

Not to mention that if your pushing the piston back a fair bit, it also makes it a lot easier to just crack the bleeder.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Ghoste on July 22, 2005, 02:08:58 PM
Not to mention that if your pushing the piston back a fair bit, it also makes it a lot easier to just crack the bleeder.

One problem with that.   Chrysler has been having problems lately with brake hoses swelling up inside.   When you push the piston back in when the hose is swelled you will probably notice an abnormal amount of effort is needed.

If you open the bleeder, you won't notice a problem.   It happened on my personal car.  I want to know that the brake fluid can freely flow through the hoses/lines.

Telvis

:popcrn:

Ahem....I have no dog in this fight. I saw Plumbs picture on another thread.....BIG GUY....I'm not arguing with him. :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Not really a fight.  Everybodys answer is a little bit right in this case.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Telvis on July 22, 2005, 06:31:04 PM
:popcrn:

Ahem....I have no dog in this fight. I saw Plumbs picture on another thread.....BIG GUY....I'm not arguing with him. :icon_smile_big:

:smilielol:

I'm going to say this loud and clear, I don't know everything.
I come to this site for enjoyment, not to fight with anybody.

Telvis

I wasn't stirring the pot. I just saw an opportunity for a bit of humor. I still wouldn't want to argue with him... :icon_smile_big: