News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 parking lights turn off when headlights turn on

Started by 303 Mopar, May 31, 2015, 09:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

303 Mopar

Hey Guys,
My turn signal lights work perfect until the headlights turn on.  They come on when I turn them on, turn signals work fine, but when I turn on the headlights the turn signal lights turn off.  They still flash when I activate the turn signals and all side markers, hood signals, brake lights and dash lights work fine.  Has anyone had this issue or have any suggestions?
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

A383Wing

you probably mean your front parking lights turn off when headlights are turned on...this is normal, that's how they work

303 Mopar

Thanks! Yes, it's the parking lights and I did not know they were supposed to turn off with the headlights on. Do you know if this is just '68 or more years and is it all B bodies?

A383Wing

Most all cars up to and through 1969 were this way, then after that, all parking lights stayed on with headlights.

you can modify the wiring in the car to keep yours on with the headlights if you want, just tie the front parking light wire into the rear parking lights wire at the headlight switch.

303 Mopar

Thanks A383!  My 70 Cuda and 71 Challenger are not this way so it's good to know.

Ghoste

Through 69?  None of my 69's were like that (but that is limited to Dodge B-bodies).

VegasCharger

I remember stumbling on this situation on my 68 and was scratching my head on it. The way I ended up discovering it was that I was testing my vacuum for the headlight doors thus placing a camera in front of my Charger to take a video and view afterwards (I didn't have anyone to assist me). Upon viewing I realized the same thing that you discovered 303 Mopar is that the front (only) parking lights turned off when headlights were engaged. And if you went directly to the "on" position for the headlights at the switch the front parking lights flickered for a brief moment. As the same as you 303 Mopar my bright filaments worked for both RH & LH sides (flasher/turn signal).

Ghoste I think you are correct, that by 69 the front parking lights stayed on when headlights were at the "on" position.

So it's one of those 68 vs 69 things to add to the list :icon_smile_big:

And here I thought I had more electrical gremlins hanging around.

Rolling_Thunder

I believe that is a 1968 only thing....      maybe some EARLY 1969s....    but I've never heard of any 1969 doing that...    kinda like the headlight bezel thing.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

hemi68charger

Yes, '68's do that.......... I have owned '68's, '69's and '70's....... '68, front running lights off when headlights turned on, '69-on, stay on.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection