News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Identifying engine

Started by TonyN, May 31, 2015, 09:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyN

Hello all,

I _think_ my 440 is from a 1971 Dodge. Is there any kind of identification method, something like a 'VIN Code' for an engine?

Or am I posting pictures and asking for more help?

Thanks,

Tony

adauto

What markings are on the flat pad by the thermostat housing?
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

ODZKing

According to what I read a 66-72 440 should have a casting number of 2536430.  Probably a - 1,2 3,4 depending on which mold.  Later the mold, the later the year obviously.
73-78 should be 3698830 and some 78 and later should be 4006630

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ODZKing on May 31, 2015, 12:25:07 PM
Probably a - 1,2 3,4 depending on which mold. Later the mold, the later the year obviously.

Uh, uh. The dash number following the basic casting number has nothing to do with time.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ODZKing

TonyN

No luck finding the area where that number would be. The picture on the MyMopar site doesn't help, as it is a close up.

There are some numbers written on a flat surface nearby (pic 2), but the numbers don't match anything discussed.

Using Pic1 and the quadrant numbers, where should I be looking?

ODZKing

Under the dizzy should be a pad.
But the casting # is on the side - here is mine as example

TonyN

John_Kunkel

The data pad (pic below) is in quadrant 3 and 4 in the second pic. If there is no stamping at all (after removing sludge/paint) on the top pad, look on the bottom of the block where an ear extends under the starter...sometimes there is an engine serial number stamped there.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Alaskan_TA

The F on your top pad is the Series (model year) 1970 - which ran from Aug. 1, 1969 to July 31, 1970.

The picture of the blue engine above shows the passenger side of the block, that small rectangular pad near the oil pan lip should have a partial VIN on it.