News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Death Proof Charger

Started by DeathProofCharger, June 02, 2015, 02:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathProofCharger

Ya'll seen Death Proof? That Quentin Tarantino movie. Well, I just bought one of the cars that were in it and I'm just seeing if there is any interest for this car. As you know the cars weren't treated too nice so there'll be quite a bit of work that needs to be done, so if you're interested in seeing a build log or something just let me know.
Some history behind THIS car: Originally it was a year 68 car(from Texas) but it was rebuilt to look like a 69 for the movie, it's one of the three chargers that were taken to Sweden after filming, it changed owners X amount of times and then found It's way to Åland and somewhere along it's journey someone decided to build a drag car out of it. But didn't get finished(or even close). And then I bought it.

So the car is just a mishmash of a lot of different stuff and nothing's original, so, what should I do with it. Since it was gonna be a drag car the rear has been built to accommodate for huge wheels and tires and there is no way I'll have the money to convert it back to the way it rolled of the show room floor with the kind of budget I have, see I'm just 16 yo so money is tight, I bought the car for 6000euros + shipping 500e and i'll have about 15k to finish it within a couple of years( I'll just point out it's my own hard earned money, there is no rich daddy behind this project). I was thinking of making it into a pro street car, so as to take advantage of the work that has already been done to it.
Opinions? Thoughts?
I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how to get the pictures from my phone(that is about to break down any minute) to my PC(that never really worked in the first place) ,ooh technology why won't you work.

Ghoste

First, welcome to the site.  Second, of course we find the car interesting.  Lastly, my opinion would be to try and do it as close to the Deathproof look as you can get it.  :Twocents:

rt green

third string oil changer

cavemanno1

Welcome to the site!

I'm sure 15k euros would buy some new sheet metal,interior and rattle can paintjob to look death proof charger again!

Quote from: rt green on June 02, 2015, 04:11:01 PM
Aland?

I think it's an island between Sweden and Finnland!

Dino

Welcome!

I think you have the right idea; work with what you have.  I'd love to see the pics first though to get a better idea.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Brock Lee

I know of a survivor the owner maintained for years, but ended up getting restored to a stock Charger. He still has the duck on custom made pedestal hood ornament. I tried to buy that, but he isn't interested in letting it go. 

RallyeMike

Do you have the documentation to prove without doubt that it is from the Movie? If so, I think it would be in the best interest to preserve as much of it as possible as the movie car and keep it that way. Nobody is going to care (or believe you) that it was a former Deathproof Charger if you restore it to something else.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Baldwinvette77

Sweet man, welcome to the site, Im curious though, what skills do you have at 16? or is this a learn-as-you-go project  :scratchchin:  :coolgleamA:

VegasCharger

Hello and welcome to DodogeCharger.com :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Cool story! Loved the Death Proof Chargers :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Quote from: rt green on June 02, 2015, 04:11:01 PM
Aland?

Cavemanno was correct (see pic).

Ghoste

That is an impressive journey.

DeathProofCharger

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 02, 2015, 08:22:47 PM
Sweet man, welcome to the site, Im curious though, what skills do you have at 16? or is this a learn-as-you-go project  :scratchchin:  :coolgleamA:
To be honest the only thing I have going for me is being good at looking things up on google, so yes it'll be a learn-as-you-go project.

Quote from: RallyeMike on June 02, 2015, 08:14:33 PM
Do you have the documentation to prove without doubt that it is from the Movie? If so, I think it would be in the best interest to preserve as much of it as possible as the movie car and keep it that way. Nobody is going to care (or believe you) that it was a former Deathproof Charger if you restore it to something else.
I do not have any documentation that would definitely prove it was in the movie but the story behind this car holds up, it looks like it got the deathproof treatment and it has documentation that it was taken to Sweden around the time the movie was made and finished(it was taken to Sweden in June 2007). Another thread about this car: http://bluesmobiles.proboards.com/thread/1216/death-proof-charger-land-finland

DeathProofCharger

Pictures

DeathProofCharger

more pics

DeathProofCharger

more pics

Baldwinvette77

Nice, i cant imagine theres too many primer black 69 chargers in Aland  :lol:

i say, keep the body the way it is, and get it running, glass would be nice though  :scratchchin:

i think i remember reading about this one, it was going to be turned into a drag car, but then the movie got it, and they stuck leaf springs on it and left the custom frame intact.

kanadanmajava

Hälsningar från Esbo! Great that the car has found a committed enthusiast. I have to admit that I'm pretty jealous. I saw the ad in Nettivaraosa but to my huge disappointment I was way too late to make any offers.

Eventually I found a replacement (from Kansas) that is also in quite rough condition but that is just what I was looking for.

What are your plans with the exterior of the car? Is it going to look nicely restored or staying in rough condition?

DeathProofCharger

Quote from: kanadanmajava on June 03, 2015, 09:08:53 AM
What are your plans with the exterior of the car? Is it going to look nicely restored or staying in rough condition?

At first I thought I would leave the exterior as is but when I saw it in person it looked a lot worse than it did in the pictures (I doubt it would even pass inspection because on the Rh side there are sharp edges, it also looks terrible) so to begin with I'll fix everything that is mounted solid to the car, rear 1/4 panels and rear tail light panel etc. and when I eventually get the money I'll buy new fenders, outer door skins, rims and tires etc.
If you ever find yourself in Vaasa feel free to come take a look.

Billy832

Welcome to the site!  Glad to see the young folks getting involved....I agree with the previous posters, restore it as much as  possible to movie specs once you get it running safe and can drive it a little.  Use your computer skills though and so some follow up and try to get the car documents from the movie house or rental company that supplied the producers with vehicles.  If you can get documents that it was used, value goes up substantially.
Some people are watchers and some people are doers...doers have Chargers!
1970 Charger R/T 440
2014 Charger R/T plus awd

DeathProofCharger

At first it seemed like a good idea to make it the way it was in the movie. It's just that the interior doesn't look all that nice and it's going to be really hard to sell it if it looks like this(see pic). I'll probably have to sell it when i go to study at university in a few years so i don't want to work a 1000 hours on it and then sell it at a loss.

RallyeMike

Super cool. I'd suggest tracking back and documenting the Deathproof heritage as much as possible while you can still find people and their memories are intact. Otherwise, it's really just another beat up Charger (still cool).

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

68X426

Find Kurt Russell and get him to autograph it.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

kanadanmajava

Quote from: DeathProofCharger on June 03, 2015, 12:18:12 PM
At first it seemed like a good idea to make it the way it was in the movie. It's just that the interior doesn't look all that nice and it's going to be really hard to sell it if it looks like this(see pic). I'll probably have to sell it when i go to study at university in a few years so i don't want to work a 1000 hours on it and then sell it at a loss.

I haven't visited Vaasa for a long time but I did accidentally buy an Opel Kadett when I visited there in the last time. Maybe in the next summer I might have some reason to go there again.

The Finnish market is so small that it is hard to get much investments back when selling a car. Restoring it to top notch condition might work but it's going to be expensive.

Are you planning to change it back to '68 or keep it as '69? If you need to change a lot of parts either option should be possible. It was a 383 car but any idea about the options that the car had?

If you are thinking about getting a better grille I might be interested in the old one. Mine has lost the grille and I would like to find a rough looking grille. I was planning to use Road Kill style solution if I cannot find suitably bashed up grille.

Baldwinvette77

i dug through my pictures on my pc and found this one, i THINK its of your car, its from death proof, and if you look closely the wheel tubs have been cut out too  :shruggy:

it even looks like the hood is red oxide?  :scratchchin:

1965gp

There are a couple good old threads on here I just read about your car- I just searched death proof charger on Google and the threads came up. Guys on this site are amazing- really detailed and can probably help track its history.

DeathProofCharger

Quote from: 68X426 on June 03, 2015, 02:12:28 PM
Find Kurt Russell and get him to autograph it.
It'd be cool, probably won't happen though

Quote from: kanadanmajava on June 03, 2015, 02:52:19 PM
Are you planning to change it back to '68 or keep it as '69? If you need to change a lot of parts either option should be possible. It was a 383 car but any idea about the options that the car had?

If you are thinking about getting a better grille I might be interested in the old one. Mine has lost the grille and I would like to find a rough looking grille. I was planning to use Road Kill style solution if I cannot find suitably bashed up grille.
It looks like the majority of people would like to see it being built back to the way it was in the movie so that is what I'll do. These grilles are crazy expensive so I won't be able to buy a perfect one, besides this one isn't all that bad, just a bit of super glue and new chrome and it'll be back in tip top condition. If you're building your car on a budget the Road Kill solution is a clean option, in my mind.

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 03, 2015, 10:08:20 PM
i dug through my pictures on my pc and found this one, i THINK its of your car, its from death proof, and if you look closely the wheel tubs have been cut out too  :shruggy:

it even looks like the hood is red oxide?  :scratchchin:
That's the one i have in my garage. Scratches matching.