News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird (stock 440 w/manifolds) ~ Under hood temps

Started by PettyMower, June 07, 2015, 10:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PettyMower

Quote from: ws23rt on June 08, 2015, 08:32:57 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on June 07, 2015, 03:38:12 PM
I use the non-thermal fan clutch (without spring in front) and a 6 or 7 blade fan....plus I have a 2 row aluminum rad in the Daytona....no issues even with sitting in traffic.....I do have an electric fan in front of radiator in the nosecone, have not had to use it since changing of fan and clutch

the fan and clutch on the right is what I went to..draws more air through radiator at idle than the one with spring, and disengages at higher RPM when you are going down the road at speed because it's not needed

I agree with this and it works for me wherever I go.  However I only have experience with stock engines and don't live where the temps. get high very often.  Also no experience with the areo cars front end issues.

One thing I do know is that heat comes from the combustion of fuel.  The engines we play with tend to do that and would much rather be on the freeway --like me--than in stop and go traffic.

Would you happen to have the part number for the fan on the right (with the clutch)?

I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Jay

A383Wing

I'll look, but if I remember, that blade on the right is not a Mopar fan, I think I got it from Car Quest back in the 90's when we were putting the car together.....

just went and looked, no part numbers on fan blade....it is 18" in diameter and the blades themselves have a pretty good pitch angle to them....

the rule of thumb I have always gone by is if your car is idleing and you put a shop rag at the grill, if it stays there on it's own without help, then you have good airflow through radiator, if it falls when you let it go, then you need to fix the airflow problem

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

ACUDANUT

thehemikid

Curious,  has anybody done the shop rag test on the grille of a stock fan & shroud Bird?

PettyMower

Before I could grab a shop rag, this happened (at idle!!!)......

A383Wing

ws23rt

thehemikid

Well!,....uh,....hmmm,.... :scratchchin:

...can't argue with that.  :icon_smile_big: