News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird power steering cooler question

Started by DoubleDlover, June 13, 2015, 05:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

ok so. one... did a superbird ever come with a power steering cooler? And 2. If so. Did they ALL have them? Or was that an option?? thanks r

hemi68charger

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but because they all either came with 3.55's or 3.54 Dana's, then by default they came with the coolers. Cars equipped with a 3.23 didn't.. Axle package cars came with the cooler as part of the package....

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Redbird

I believe they all came with coolers, and I also believe what they came with is shown on the Broadcast sheet.

Wingnut426

My HEMI Superbird does NOT have a cooler.  Hemi Superbirds come with a Federal pump, not a Saginaw.  :Twocents:
HEMI Daytona Convertible

hemi68charger

Quote from: Wingnut426 on June 13, 2015, 11:14:59 AM
My HEMI Superbird does NOT have a cooler.  Hemi Superbirds come with a Federal pump, not a Saginaw.  :Twocents:

Pete, even with the Federal, they didn't have coolers?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Wingnut426

I have looked at MANY Hemi Superbird engine compartment photos and I have never seen one.  The GURU GG has stated that they should have the cooler, but I haven't seen any.
If someone can provide a picture of one ON A SUPERBIRD, I may think differently.
HEMI Daytona Convertible

hemi68charger

Quote from: Wingnut426 on June 13, 2015, 12:43:44 PM
I have looked at MANY Hemi Superbird engine compartment photos and I have never seen one.  The GURU GG has stated that they should have the cooler, but I haven't seen any.
If someone can provide a picture of one ON A SUPERBIRD, I may think differently.

Observation is a very powerful supplier of the truth.... In theory, probably should have gotten them, but the reality of production is different...

:2thumbs:
Troy

DoubleDlover

ok so if you have a bird with a Saginaw pump it should have the cooler? r

thehemikid

Quote from: Redbird on June 13, 2015, 10:26:31 AM
I believe they all came with coolers, and I also believe what they came with is shown on the Broadcast sheet.

Where at?

hemi68charger

Quote from: thehemikid on June 14, 2015, 04:49:56 AM

Where at?

I'm not sure there was a code for the cooler part of the power steering... Either it came with power steering or not and coded thus ( in general terms, not Superbird-specific).. If I'm wrong, anyone have the broadcast sheet that reflects the individual cooler part?
Troy

boss429kiwi

My Superbird 440/6, 4 speed has the power steering cooler.

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

thehemikid

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 14, 2015, 11:24:32 AM
Quote from: thehemikid on June 14, 2015, 04:49:56 AM

Where at?

I'm not sure there was a code for the cooler part of the power steering... Either it came with power steering or not and coded thus.. If I'm wrong, anyone have the broadcast sheet that reflects the individual cooler part?

I think the cooler is linked in the Performance, Track, or Super Track package's but looking at Cunningham's (sp) site & WW's site I didn't find it.

I was just asking that if the cooler itself was listed on the BC sheet, where? cause I wasn't seeing it. That section of BC sheet is from a Bird, don't know who's though.

The Hemi Bird's without coolers running the Federal pump is a bit puzzling to me. Would it have anything to do with the differences in pump volumes between the Fed & the Sag

DoubleDlover

well its starting to get interesting that's a good thing.. So.. does anyone have a pic of there 383 or 440 with a P/S pump cooler?? either style pump????  that would be wonderfull!! r

6bblgt

paperwork and/or documentation on power steering cooler usage is difficult or impossible to find, what I've seen:

383HP, 440HP, 440+6 with power steering used a Saginaw pump - they also used a cooler with A31 (383), A32 (440s), A33 (440s), A34 (440s), & A36 axle packages.

340 (4bbl & 6bbl) and HEMI engines with power steering used a Federal pump - they also used a cooler with A31 (340), A32 (HEMI), A33 (HEMI), A34 (HEMI), & A36 axle packages.

Power steering was included with all Superbirds and they are equipped with A33 (4-speed) or A36 (auto) axle packages & should have a power steering cooler, BUT

I've seen a number of original appearing October/November '69 HEMI cars without a power steering cooler on cars that should have one .....  :shruggy: shortage?  Maybe the 3.54 cars didn't start getting a cooler until later in the year?  Too much time has passed, too many changes have been made to get concrete answers to some of these questions.

DoubleDlover

yea you might be right. Anything could happen on any giving day at the plant.  So does anyone have any pics of the cooler for a Saginaw pump? So we know what the correct shape on the bracket is. And the shape of the line ect.. thanks r

thehemikid

I'll provide some pics & let the experts chime in and correct me where I'm  wrong,  but I think this is the cooler for the 70 Saginaw pump. I think these pics are from Glen Rays site.

I think the original hose would look like this with the smother crimps and a sleeve on the hose roughly mid way.

Another angle of the hose,...though I think this is an after market hose by the crimps,...I could be wrong.

Mine where I 1st bolted it up to see if it would fit on a Hemi. Afterwords I was told it wouldn't fit & I said it fits like it was supposed to be there. A tad close to the core plug boss on the front of the head but doesn't touch.

My conglomeration just before I installed the motor. Don't let the negative battery cable,  positive battery cable, or temporary external oil line, distract you. :icon_smile_big:

billssuperbird

I have a clone and I put a cooler on mine. Every bird I ever looked at had that cooler on it I hope that helps  :shruggy:

birdsandbees

I've been reading here for a long time, but thought I should join so I could add a picture of the cooler. I've only owned this Texas car for 26 years, as the 4th owner, but assume this to be the cooler that came on the car. 440 -4bl x auto car w/ 3.55 axle package.

If you want a better picture down in.. just let me know.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

6bblgt

:cheers:

hemi68charger

I think we all agree all 440 4bbl and 440 6bbl versions came with the coolers by default; but the underlying mystery is the 426 Hemi equipped cars. As we all know, they came with Federal pumps and it looks like without the cooler. But, for me personally, it doesn't make sense since the Federal pumps on T/A's and AAR's came with coolers.....
Troy

DoubleDlover

wow. Everyones pics are amazing!. Its nice to learn these things. It looks like I have the correct cooler. So do they really actualy make a big difference? r

thehemikid

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 15, 2015, 10:09:00 AM
I've been reading here for a long time, but thought I should join so I could add a picture of the cooler. I've only owned this Texas car for 26 years, as the 4th owner, but assume this to be the cooler that came on the car. 440 -4bl x auto car w/ 3.55 axle package.

If you want a better picture down in.. just let me know.

Interesting notch you have there in your battery tray. Something I haven't noticed before on a Bird. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. But appears to work with the cooler for a little room for clearance maybe for belt stretch/adjustment? Or maybe install/removal? :shruggy:

hemigeno

We've kicked this topic around a bit in other threads before, and there's no single answer, other than "it depends".

>>  '69 & '70 440 B-bodies with an Axle Package of some sort (i.e. 3.54/3.55 or numerically higher gear ratio) had the PS pump cooler on their Saginaw pumps.  That should include all the wedge-engine Superbird production run.

>>  '69 Hemi B-bodies with their Federal PS pump apparently did NOT get a PS pump cooler, regardless of Axle Package selection.  I've not seen a single original/unrestored '69 Hemi that came with a cooler... they could be out there, but I haven't seen one "yet".

>>  '70 Hemi Superbirds (which are all fairly early 1970 model year builds) apparently did NOT get a PS pump cooler either, and an example of such is wingnut/Pete V.'s untouched Hemi 'Bird.

>>  At least some '70 Hemi's did get a cooler on their Federal PS pumps... as evidenced by this photo from Jim/maxwellwedge's 16,000 mile survivor E-body:

I'm open to correction on this, but so far the points above are what I've observed.

:Twocents:   :shruggy:

birdsandbees

Quote from: thehemikid on June 15, 2015, 05:27:35 PM
Interesting notch you have there in your battery tray. Something I haven't noticed before on a Bird. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. But appears to work with the cooler for a little room for clearance maybe for belt stretch/adjustment? Or maybe install/removal? :shruggy:

Now you've had me searching for pictures all day.. lol. I only found one replacement tray identical at Jack's, but his site doesn't list enough detail to say what it should be for. With my car hit on the left, this could have been a donor tray from something else. Anyone have insight, that has an original 'bird?
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

maxwellwedge

The 1970 model year started using a straight hold-down.....the one in the pic is '69 and earlier. Also in 70 the hold down nuts had a captive washer. In 69 (and earlier) they used a wing nut and a washer.

Here are some pics.....  http://www.moparaction.com/Article/JIMS_BIRD/index.html

I have attached a small pic as well.