News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ron Francis Kit

Started by comet_666, June 18, 2015, 09:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

I am about to start on the wiring and I got that RF kit. I got a sweet deal on a rear tail light harness so I used that for the back. Any pics of what you guys did with the headlights and bulk head?

Aussiemadonmopars

Hey Comet, Im just about to start on mine too.  Im also using the rear harness as I have a new one there and I will try and source a connector for it or use the old one and splice into it.   :2thumbs:  Hopefully we can help each other out on here. From memory your doing the dak digital guages as well yeah? Im just about to order those today.

comet_666

Yes sir! I looked on RF's website and it looks like they have connectors there, The 8 block (or 6 don't remember) that connects up the rear I will be getting, should make it a bit easier. I am going to try to get the correct connectors where applicable for everything but the The DD.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=58

I also saw this and was curious.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge-Charger-Headlight-Harness-426-Hemi-440-383-318-225-six-pack-/251816744603

Aussiemadonmopars

Yep, the rear harness is at least an 8 plug. I may have got one in the kit actually after looking what they gave me. If it doesn't  rain here tomorrow I might be able to get out in the shed and have a look. Our winter here at the moment, it never rains unless you want to do something or someone washes the car.   ::)

Aussiemadonmopars

Well as it turns out I have a 6 plug connector on the rear harness but RF supplied an 8 plug connector. They have supplied a male and female side so I should be able to turn in it into something.   :2thumbs:

TexasStroker

Looking forward to seeing how you both like it...It is still on my bucket list.  We are into the hot summer now, but time is what is getting me, lol.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Aussiemadonmopars

I'm not sure where to start from actually??  :shruggy: There's no clear instructions. I will probably start at the battery box and work my way forward. The battery is going in the trunk and I'm running a 0 guage cable and 250A fuse for the starter and a 2 guage cable and 100A fuse for the accessories (a little bit of fat in there for upgrades) and I'll run that up to the terminal post under the dash.  :2thumbs:

comet_666

So I finally started to look at the Ron Francis kit last night to map out where I was going to mount the fuse block and sush and while I was talking to my engine builder who really liked the kit by the way, he told me he may have brand new, unused M&H harnesses for a 69 Road Runner that he had done work to last summer. Low and behold he has the dash, engine and front light harness's that went unused on that car. So I acquired those harnesses for a bit of computer work! So while I love the RF kit, in the sake of an exellent deal and time saving I am going to use them instead.

I will post the RF kit for sale here if anyone is interested.

Aussiemadonmopars

I guess I'm on my own then...  :shruggy:

comet_666

The guy helping me actually has a RF kit he installed in his Buick GS and he really liked it.

Aussiemadonmopars

Ok cool. Is he going to chime in on here then?

TexasStroker

I aim to install one...eventually, lol.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

fizz

I installed a rf kit, Dakota dig gauges, classic auto air all at the same time. Also put in a relay center underneath the battery tray for headlights/headlight doors. IMO, place the rf panel where you want it, and rewire EVERYTHING. It would seem trying to retrofit factory wiring would make it harder, ALTHOUGH, could wire by hand up to the bulkhead connector, and use factory wwiring under hood, and use a factory taillight harness at and wire rf up to that connector. I wired and tested mine with the dash out and on the bench. I am glad I didn't try this in the car

comet_666

I went with that kit because my wiring in the car was shot and this kit seemed exactly what the Dr. ordered.
Getting brand new M&H harness's handed to me for free basically is the only reason i'm not using the RF kit.

Aussiemadonmopars

Yeah it's ok, I'll get by I guess.   :'( . Just joking.  ;).   I'm looking at mounting the fuse panel in the old glove compartment area along with the stereo head unit. I'm going to make up a new ally plated liner for it like someone else has on here. Heres a rough sketch as well. 

comet_666

I was going to mount mine down by the e brake mechanism on the firewall and my DD where the old fuseblock went.

fizz

I separated my original harness to understand it, and it did help a lot. I just am trying to wrap my head around if I had tied the Dak Dig dash to that factory harness, how would I have done it. Don't take my word for it though, I am far from a professional about this.

comet_666

The way I understand it is the dash switches use the plugs as normal, the gauges themselves are rerouted to the control box.

fizz

that is correct, and if you can sort out the gauges, the connections to steering would be plug and play

comet_666

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on June 26, 2015, 09:25:48 AM
Yeah it's ok, I'll get by I guess.   :'( . Just joking.  ;).   I'm looking at mounting the fuse panel in the old glove compartment area along with the stereo head unit. I'm going to make up a new ally plated liner for it like someone else has on here. Heres a rough sketch as well. 
Looks cool, keep in mind that fuseblock is pretty big though.

Aussiemadonmopars

I just got a quote back for a custom shop to fab up a glovebox... $800-$1000... I think I'll have a go at it myself and they can do the finish welds for me for $300

TexasStroker

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on June 26, 2015, 10:57:50 PM
I just got a quote back for a custom shop to fab up a glovebox... $800-$1000... I think I'll have a go at it myself and they can do the finish welds for me for $300

That is an absolutely ridiculous price!  1k for a glovebox liner?  If you have any older hvac shops you might be able to have them crank one out for you.

You can probably make one out of 18 gauge pretty easily...If you decide you need something more substantial and can't work it as easy, just use that thinner gauge as an example and go to town.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Aussiemadonmopars

I'm an Electrical Contractor as well so I'm doing some horse-trading with a buddy to get it done.  :2thumbs:

fizz

Aussie, I made a glovebox liner and installed the rf panel, dak, dig panel and the classic auto air panel all in the glovebox. Make sure you measure depth to the heater box. I drilled and installed grommets to be able to bring in wires for some components from the top and bottom of the panel, but most came in from the left side of the car. If you PM me, I could email pics, but there is a hundred ways to skin a cat in this instance anyway

Aussiemadonmopars

Hey Fizz, thanks for the offer of sending some pics, I would really love to see some. As many as you can, it all helps:
pjhollands@yahoo.com.au 
Thanks in advance  :cheers: and I'll keep everyone posted and do pics as I go.