News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ron Francis Kit

Started by comet_666, June 18, 2015, 09:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussiemadonmopars

I blanked off the original wiper motor and used a GM one under the dash.

Aussiemadonmopars

I had to check the current draw of the starter solenoid and it was 25 amps so I'm using just a standard 30 amp relay with good gauge wire.

Aussiemadonmopars

I'm also using a cut off switch and it doubles as a good junction point to join all the Actives together. I will putting a maxi fuse in the supply from the alternator either at the alternator itself or where it meets at the junction point. You can't have enough protection.  ;)

frank1966

Are you running a one wire alt? Iam, do you suggest I put an inline fuse? Its a 90 amp alt powermaster.

Aussiemadonmopars

Yeah, I would definitely put one in. Depending on the size wire going to the alternator, but I would be thinking about an 80 amp fuse.

mopar0166

Yes you should have a maxi fuse inline

myk

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on March 11, 2016, 08:51:03 PM
I'm also using a cut off switch and it doubles as a good junction point to join all the Actives together. I will putting a maxi fuse in the supply from the alternator either at the alternator itself or where it meets at the junction point. You can't have enough protection.  ;)

Where are you mounting the cut off switch?   Which one are you using?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Aussiemadonmopars

I'm using just a standard isolator switch. I did have a summit one somewhere but lost in what is called the "Workshop". I mounted it in the glovebox area as well.

frank1966

Quote from: mopar0166 on March 14, 2016, 08:06:41 AM
Yes you should have a maxi fuse inline

The problem is how to crimp a 4G wire? Maybe iam using too thick of a wire. I can probably use an 8G for a 90amp alt.

Aussiemadonmopars

I would try and solder it personally, but ask a local auto electrics shop and they should be able to help.

Aussiemadonmopars

I thought I would share a few tips: I started by mounting most of the ancillaries i.e. MSD, thermo's etc. I would then recommend running out all the wires and then going back and tying in and putting on corregated tubing and fancy wire loom etc. A few times now I have thought "crap, I forgot something" so its better to get all the wires run in first. On my car I also had to allow for hood turn signals (wires supplied were too short, they were for side indicators), air con (no allowance for it), reverse lights (no allowance for it), Interior lights (there is a circuit for it), halo headlights (re-direct some of the park light circuit), an electric fuel pump (new circuit) and thermo fans (additional to the wiring kit). I changed the way the nuetral safety switch was wired as well, I put it in series with the starter relay. It looks like a mess now but I'll make it all nice. Pics on the way....

Aussiemadonmopars

I would be interested to hear from other people as to where the best place to put the ignition coil would be aside from on top of the motor. I just mounted mine on the inner fender and it looks a bit out of place there.

TexasStroker

Are you running a big block?  If so, I'd probably keep it in place, close to the distributor.  If you are running a small block you could maybe hide it on the firewall etc.

Looks like things are coming along nicely!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Aussiemadonmopars

Yep, running a 400 Block stroked to 500. There is no where really else to put it I think that would be close and not have too much volt drop to the dizzy. I could use some low impedance spark plug leads but they would probably cost heaps.

Aussiemadonmopars

As I stated in another thread - "I am using a RF kit and the indicators in the back still work off the break lights by the looks of it. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case and I will definitely change it for safety reasons. I have had to run extra cirucits with the RF kit as well for stuff like AC and Thermo fans (even though the kit controls the fans they still have to be fused from somewhere else). I'm also not happy with the small gauge wire that is running to the RF fuse box, looks to be too small. Good luck and hope the Painless kit works out for you."

RF kit is good for stock but if you want to put extra's in I would look for something else.

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on April 06, 2016, 05:00:06 AM

RF kit is good for stock but if you want to put extra's in I would look for something else.

Mind you I did use only the Express wiring kit and probly should of used one of their others....

Aussiemadonmopars

I have also put the wires through plugs rather than direct to the fittings (crimped + soldered) just in case I want to take the dash bezel or steering column out to work on something I can do it easily. The Ididit column has the key on it so I replaced the original key switch with a push start button that illuminates when in Park or Nuetral. I don't think it looks too out of place. 

Aussiemadonmopars

I had a question for ya'll, is it better to illuminate the outer most or inner most rear brake lights for braking? I'm using the 2 inner ones and not putting them through the indicators at all, the 2 outer ones will be for the indicators, to save some muppet running up the back of me when being confused by the indicator/brake lights. Most of us here have never seen those.

Aussiemadonmopars

No feedback on the brake lights??  :rotz:  Another thing I am disappointed with is that, as I've been handling the fuse box a few times with my hands, some of the lettering has come off and I may have to get a new stencil from Ron and re-do the lettering on the panel.

Derwud

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on April 10, 2016, 07:53:23 AM
I had a question for ya'll, is it better to illuminate the outer most or inner most rear brake lights for braking? I'm using the 2 inner ones and not putting them through the indicators at all, the 2 outer ones will be for the indicators, to save some muppet running up the back of me when being confused by the indicator/brake lights. Most of us here have never seen those.

I plan on doing something similar on my 70 Charger. But I also want to add a high mounted third brake light, just need to find one I like,
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: Derwud on April 28, 2016, 01:49:44 PM
Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on April 10, 2016, 07:53:23 AM

I plan on doing something similar on my 70 Charger. But I also want to add a high mounted third brake light, just need to find one I like,

I used the 3rd brake light part of their circuit and wired that to the brake lights. I'm using the 2 inside lights on the tail panel for my brake lights. I don't know if that's right or not?? I have a 69 Charger.

Derwud

Here is my thought.

Blinker   Stop   Stop      Stop   Stop   Blinker
Tail        Tail                         Tail    Tail

This way the outer would Flash only and the Inner would act as your third brake light since it's only function is STOP light.

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: Derwud on April 28, 2016, 03:54:17 PM
Here is my thought.

Blinker   Stop   Stop      Stop   Stop   Blinker
Tail        Tail                         Tail    Tail

This way the outer would Flash only and the Inner would act as your third brake light since it's only function is STOP light.
Cool, so you reckon have 2 stop lights on each side?

Derwud

Oh Yeah, I want everyone to know when the stop pedal is being pushed!!

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: Derwud on April 28, 2016, 04:06:58 PM
Oh Yeah, I want everyone to know when the stop pedal is being pushed!!

Is that what they are from the Chrysler factory?