News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel sending units , c'mon

Started by poppa, June 22, 2015, 06:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennard

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 09, 2015, 09:31:49 PM

This is stupid.  Why doesn't some repro parts company just get a correct batch made?  Word would get around fast if somebody had the correct ones in stock.  We shouldn't have to be doing it this way ourselves.  
Agreed, see my first post on page one.

el dub

If they don't work, send them back. That way you get your money back and the vendor has to go to the manufacture, to get his money back, and the manufacture may start building the correct sender

edit: probably like me, bought it a long time ago and threw away the receipt  
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ghoste

I agree 100%.  It isn't a cheap part and it isn't an unknown problem either and yet for some reason they insist on giving us compromised ones and we keep accepting them. :shruggy:

cavemanno1

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on August 01, 2015, 01:44:37 AM
Well I just installed the sending unit and, wait for it, it reads FULL.   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Could you get me the link for it,i might need one!

Thanks

Lennard

Quote from: Ghoste on September 11, 2015, 05:39:56 AM
I agree 100%.  It isn't a cheap part and it isn't an unknown problem either and yet for some reason they insist on giving us compromised ones and we keep accepting them. :shruggy:
I just sent Ray from Classic Industries a p.m. about it.  Lets see if he responds...

Lennard

Well, superfast response:

"Lennard,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We were not aware of any issue with the fuel senders we offer for Mopar. I will open a case with our quality control / R&D Department and have them look into the matter. In the meantime, if any forum members could provide a lead as to who the OEM manufacturer was, we could possibly open dialog with them to see what it would take to have a run produced.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional details you could share, images, etc. regarding which senders this issue applies to, what the original sender windings look like, etc. It would help give the R&D team a head start to diagnose the issue, and come up with a solution.

Best regards,

Ray Yager
Merchandising Director
Classic Industries"

So if anyone can steer him in the right direction, please do so as I don't know anything technical about these things. You can send him a p.m. or email him at ryager@classicindustries.com

Pete in NH

I sent Ray an email outlining the basic problem. Lets see what he comes back with.

Lennard

Quote from: Pete in NH on September 11, 2015, 03:16:48 PM
I sent Ray an email outlining the basic problem. Lets see what he comes back with.
Perfect, thanks :2thumbs:

ray230

Quote from: Pete in NH on June 23, 2015, 09:01:43 AM
Hi,

At 73 ohms the gauge should read empty and at 10 ohms full. At 24 ohms the gauge should read 1/2 scale. That is where the problem is with  the repop senders. Mid way between 10 and 73 is 41 ohms not the 24 the Chrysler specification calls for. The repop senders are apparently wound in a linear manner not the tapered nonlinear manner of the originals.

This has been an ongoing issue and it's beyond me why the original resistance winding can not be copied. I suspect all the reproduction junk is coming out of China and vendors selling this stuff don't seem to care that what they are selling is incorrect and insist on getting the part made correctly. There was some talk about getting senders made by the original manufacturer but, I don't know what ever came of that.

There is an electronic conversion device that claims to match these poor reproduction senders to the Chrysler system. I don't know anything about them but take a look at http://technoversions.com/MeterMatchHome.html

Pete, after reading your post I ordered the Meter Match. I had replaced the tank and had a new 1/2" pickup that wasn't reading right. I had to adapt the installation due to short studs on the stock fuel gauge, but was able to install. The product works as advertized. Problem solved!  Thanks for the tip.

Ghoste

First grilles for 69's and now possibly this?  Kudos to CI.

70sixpkrt

QuoteQuote from: 70sixpkrt on August 01, 2015, 12:44:37 AM
Well I just installed the sending unit and, wait for it, it reads FULL.   icon_smile_big icon_smile_big

Could you get me the link for it,i might need one!

Thanks
http://www.kramerauto.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B14-FL-004

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

cdr

I just installed an old original sender & now my gauge reads correct,, also the aftermarket sender lock ring does not hold very tight, it is cheesy. also where the wire connection goes through to the stud end connection for push on wire connector swells up & the seal splits & can leak fuel.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

66FBCharger

Quote from: Pete in NH on September 11, 2015, 03:16:48 PM
I know this is an old post.
Did anyone ever hear back from Classic Industries?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Pete in NH

I did hear back from Ray at Classic Industries. He sent me two sending units and I checked them electrically to the original Chrysler specification. These were both A body sending units. One was right electrically but so poorly made I would never put it in a fuel tank. The second unit was better made but wrong electrically. I wrote up a report and sent it to Ray. His response was that they had so much trouble over these sending units that Classic might stop selling them. That was the last I ever heard about it.

66FBCharger

Ugh! This is a part needed by many Mopar people. I don't understand why someone won't step up to build correct working sending units.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body