News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trw forged pistons, which way does the arrow go?

Started by sext7366, April 01, 2006, 01:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

It seems like I read somewhere that this arrow goes to the outside of the block, and does not point towards the cam, but I wanted to make sure, as they did not come with any instructions, and by the way the holes are for the rods, it actually seems like the arrow will either point to the left or right (in other words toward the front or back of the block).  Bare with me guys this is my first rebuild and even though I realize I have already asked some stupid questions, I am  sure I will ask a few more.  Thanks for the patience. ;D

Chryco Psycho

if the pins are centered the arrows point forward , if they are offset & they do look to be they will point forward on the drivers side & to the rear on the passenger side

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mine pointed forward on both sides......just upside down.......ahh crap :rotz:

Does it matter???   I hope not

Heres mine......pass side of the block

drivers side below
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

NorwayCharger

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 01, 2006, 06:34:01 AM

drivers side below

There´s usally a notch or a arrow in the pistons, and they shall point towards the front of the engine.
Anyway see the instruction for your brand of pistons
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

8WHEELER

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 01, 2006, 06:34:01 AM

drivers side below

If you have centered pistons you are fine, my 11.5 TRW piston are centered, and the
notch faces forward on both sides.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

TylerCharger69

The arrows go toward the front of the engine......but....make sure the piston is installed properly on the rod.....the chamfers on the rod bearings face forward too if im not mistaken.   If the rod is backwards.....well.......you get the idea.... ;)

sext7366

Is this not the same idea as my other posts about the main bearings... all of the bearings are chamfered, and I know rods should always be installed in the same way that they came off, but still, if the bearing are chamfered on both sides then it doesn't really matter right? Is there any way to be 100% sure that the rods or on the pistons correctly, as mine are chamfered both the rods, and the bearings on both sides.  The chamfer is simply the beveling of the edge right?  Is there any relationship between the notch that helps hold the bearing in place, and the correct rod direction?

TylerCharger69

if they are all the same.....that's fine,  but you don't want to press the piston on backwards.   Myself....when I disassemble....I stamp the rods and caps toward the outside of the block before disassembly  (i.e.....1  through 8)    makes it easier to identify  which diirection to press the pistons on...you dont want to press these on backwards!!!

sext7366

Just a thought since the rods are offset in the piston, which way should the longer side go, toward the outside of the engine, or toward the cam...it seems to me that the angle would work best toward the cam.