News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

im headin to the dyno

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, March 28, 2006, 08:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

ok guys i been gone a while no changes to the charger no $ :( but im gonna hit the dyno this week or next weather permitting heres what i can remember of my build, basicly all u can do withput pulling the motor out. and suggestions or tips would be appreciated

400 block stock bore,all stock except whats listed

452 heads cut down .050" and a 3 angle valve job. steel shim head gaskit 

summit cam 224*/234* .465/.488 ,advanced 4* comp springs to match cam specs

double roller timing chain

holley street dominator intake heavily ported on the plentum and port matched to fit the gaskit

msd 6al ignition, blaster 2 coil, msd super conductor 8.5mm wires,

mopar performance electronic distributor vac. blocked off timing was advanced until it started hard when warm then backed off bit

holley 750cfm vac. sec lightest secondary spring used, 4-hole 1" phenolic spacer 3"k&n air filter with the K&N filter top

hedman headers, 2 1/4" dual exhaust with h-pipe and flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber deltaflows

carter street mechanical fuel pump

milodon aluminum high flow water pump

milodon windage tray

20-50 valvoline vr1 racing oil and stp oil treatment

4 speed dana 60 with 4.10's 275/60-15 on the rear clamped leafs and pinion snubber 1" from the floor

i think i got it all im not sure its been a while. Not a killer i know but shes an improvement over what i had when i got her bone stock , thanks guys.........Mike

feel free to take some guesses or anything :) i cant wait to go!!!!!!!!

Brightyellow69rtse

oh i forgot its a dynojet... and i woke the car up today for teh first time sinse november :) it sure was good to hear her runnin again.......Mike

RD

cant wait to see what you get.  Are your pistons stock cast pistons at the 8.2 to 1 c/r?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Brightyellow69rtse

their the factory cast ones, they measured .107 down the hole  :'( after the head cut and still retaining the steel shim gaskit thickness Ron says compression is approw 9-1 at this point. if i had to do it again i woulda cut .060 off instead of the .050 as i have heard of many people cutting off .060 with no problems at all.........Mike

firefighter3931

Have fun Mike  :icon_smile_big: Bring some spare jets in case they find it's too lean. Make sure there's lots of fuel in the tank so you don't run out. Check the timing before you go so you've got a baseline and tune from there.  :yesnod:

Don't worry about the extra .010 you didn't have cut off the heads....trust me, you won't notice it.   ;)

As for power, it's hard to tell because there are so many variables. Different machines, different operators, different correction factors etc...Just use the dyno session to get it tuned for optimum power and make sure the air/fuel ratio and timing are dialed in.

If i had to guess, the rwhp "should" be in the 275hp range. I prefer the 1/4 mile MPH to tell me how much power the motor is (or isn't) making.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brightyellow69rtse

well Ron well see i got an appointment at 1 tomorrow  :yesnod: im actually pretty excited i never done it before should be good time. i took the car out today for the first run of the year after a oil change of course and she ran like she always does...great......Mike

RECHRGD

RESULTS???????? Inquiring minds want to know. :icon_smile_big:
13.53 @ 105.32

golden73

Brightyellow69rtse

k heres the numbers kinda dissapointing but i wasnt expecting a dyno record or anything lol. i wen in and ran 213hp 247 tq first pass and when we finished the 6th  run after some timing adjustments we finished at 225hp 287tq so a decent gain in a timing adjustment and sone confirmation that i know how to work a holley  ;D  thery said dont change a thing a/f is right on. not bad for a backyard hacker lol heres the graph

Brightyellow69rtse

woaa thats huge sorry i dont know how to make it smaller. anyway the record for the dyno they have is 1160hp its froma  twin turbo mustang i forget the guys name but they said he has the world record for running the fastedt time on a 10" tire. there was also a 2000 maybe saleen mustang that looked totally stock they dropped over 600hp at the wheel there i forget the exact numbers.all and all it was a good experiance and hell i gained 12hp and 13tq at the wheel for $65 lol ill take that.........Mike

EDIT:...fixed it for ya!   
Chris

firefighter3931

Not bad Mike....good return on the investment.  :icon_smile_big: The numbers are lower than i would have expected but like i said before the chassis dynos are all over the place with power numbers. The good thing is that your ignition and fuel curves are dialed in for peak performance.   :icon_smile_cool:

Now it's time for a 1/4 mile pass to see how she does on the real dyno.....the dragstrip !  :devil:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

hey man not to sound like an ass or anything but are you sure those are correct ? 
I took my car to the dyno last week and it made...   
Max Power = 262.7
Max Torque = 332.7

Thats with a 383 with a stock cam and 9:1 compression
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

74Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 01, 2006, 01:44:45 PM
Not bad Mike....good return on the investment.  :icon_smile_big: The numbers are lower than i would have expected but like i said before the chassis dynos are all over the place with power numbers. The good thing is that your ignition and fuel curves are dialed in for peak performance.   :icon_smile_cool:

Now it's time for a 1/4 mile pass to see how she does on the real dyno.....the dragstrip !  :devil:

Ron

I agree with Ron,  If you go to another chassis dyno you will probaly get a different number.  The key is to to see were she is building peak performance and then take her to the track.  Thats what I did.  I too was a little dissapointed with my first time on the dyno.  Heck I made a simple jet change on the dyno and it said it gave me a 20 hp increase?  But it gave me the info I needed as far as where I was making  horsepower.  So I could get my shift points correct.  I thought I was going to be shifting at around 6000rpm.  Boy was I wrong. Turned out Peak perfomance was around 5300 rpm.
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 01, 2006, 09:27:13 PM
hey man not to sound like an ass or anything but are you sure those are correct ? 
Max Power = 262.7
Max Torque = 332.7

That's a good example of what i'm talking about.  ;) I'm pretty sure Brightyellow's motor is stronger than a stock 383  :devil: In fact i know it is  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Brightyellow69rtse

yeah the numbers are definatly right believe me  :'(  i hope the dyno is wrong but it is what it is. i did all i can without pulling the motor. im no engine builder but i really dont see how a different set of pistons would make a rediculious difference in power i know the heads could be ported but i know the motor could make plenty more power before thats even necessary. so i can only hope the dyno is wrong lol. she goes pretty damn fast and pulls hard and the carbs dead on its like its fuel injected. so i guess i really dont have anything to complain about. i can just hang back and wait till the 440 gets the money tyhen i think its 500 stroker time  :yesnod:......Mike

RECHRGD

As others have said, RR dyno numbers can be all over the place.  Mine Dyno'd at 256-270hp and the very next day ran 105mph at the drags.  According to all the on-line hp calculators, that speed equates to around 320hp depending on how much I weighed that day.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 02, 2006, 08:09:51 AM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 01, 2006, 09:27:13 PM
Max Power = 262.7
Max Torque = 332.7

That's a good example of what i'm talking about.  ;) I'm pretty sure Brightyellow's motor is stronger than a stock 383  :devil: In fact i know it is  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Well...      not exactly stock but close...

383 +.030
9:1 compression pistons
268*/284* MP cam
ported and polished 906 heads
Weiand dual plane intake
Edelbrock 750 elec. choke
2.5" exhuast
Flowmaster mufflers
Hooker ceramic coated super comp headers
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip