News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Pump Questions

Started by JMF, June 27, 2015, 03:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Hi, does anyone know what length the fuel pump pushrod should be on my 69 Coronet 383 ? I want to take the current one out and measure it to see if it's worn as i'm pretty sure that's what the problem is, I assume the one in the below link is the correct one ?

Also if I go down the electric fuel pump route, what pressure should it be regulated at ? The 383 from what I can tell is pretty stock except for a 4 barrel holley carb, thanks

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/15925/10002/-1

myk

Not sure about the pushrod, but as for the electric fuel pump, I'm told that you shouldn't run more than 5 psi, or at least not without a regulator to keep it that way.  My Edelbrock 1411 states in the manual "no more than 5 psi," but my shop installed a 5-9 psi pump and I haven't had any flooding or anything.   :shruggy:

I like the electric pump for the easy starts: you will NEVER have a problem starting your car under any circumstances, and I like using it as a theft deterrent device.  My only gripe with an electric pump, as with all electronic devices, is that they crap out when you need them most.  I've gone through two pumps in under three years and although it hasn't cost me anything to replace, it's still a pain in the butt to deal with...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

New fuel pump push rod length is 3.25" overall length

I have 3 here still new in wrapper

HeavyFuel

I just received a new Hughes Pushrod and it's length is 3.1875.....3 and 3/16ths.

So why is the exact length so elusive, and is it really that critical?

So frustrating.

cdr

Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 09, 2020, 08:41:02 PM
I just received a new Hughes Pushrod and it's length is 3.1875.....3 and 3/16ths.

So frustrating.
sounds like the new one is pre worn out
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

So frustrating.

The length isn't critical; the lobe on the cam determines the stroke of the fuel pump lever, as long as the lever doesn't bottom out you're good to go.

Canadian1968

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 10, 2020, 02:04:41 PM

So frustrating.

The length isn't critical; the lobe on the cam determines the stroke of the fuel pump lever, as long as the lever doesn't bottom out you're good to go.

HUH ? The length absolutely is critical. If it was't then why did I have to replace mine cause it was worn down to where it would not push the pump arm?  I would not want to throw in a band new pump rod that is already almost an 1/8 shorter than it should be.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Canadian1968 on October 10, 2020, 05:15:56 PM

So frustrating.

HUH ? The length absolutely is critical. If it was't then why did I have to replace mine cause it was worn down to where it would not push the pump arm?  I would not want to throw in a band new pump rod that is already almost an 1/8 shorter than it should be.

Kinda what I was thinking, too.

The Hughes rod is 1/16 short if 3 1/4 is the right length.

Not sure how much wear down on a rod warrants replacement.  I guess I'll compare the Hughes rod with the rod in there now and put in the longest one.

HeavyFuel

Removed old rod (bottom) and installed new one.

About 1/4 of wear.  Not sure if this is the factory rod or not.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Canadian1968 on October 10, 2020, 05:15:56 PM

HUH ? The length absolutely is critical. If it was't then why did I have to replace mine cause it was worn down to where it would not push the pump arm?  I would not want to throw in a band new pump rod that is already almost an 1/8 shorter than it should be.

Where'd you come up with that? From the dimensions mentioned (3.250-3.1875) I see only 1/16" difference. If that little difference makes the pump inop,  I'd say something else is amiss. Many times when a pushrod shows excessive wear, the cam lobe will be worn too.

c00nhunterjoe

:iagree:

Think of it like when you wipe a lifter. What does the cam look like? Same metal, same cam. Smaller lifter per se.

Canadian1968

sorry, yes I did not mean 1/8th .  But my point was that the length is important.

I think that what you were saying was in this case, the new rod is still going to work , the difference will not change the operation.  My question is why is it wrong to begin with ? When it comes to machining 1/16 is a lot !!

The old rod in the picture that has approx 1/4 wear is the same as mine when it stopped !