News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 daytona wing mounting hole template

Started by 6869, July 03, 2015, 11:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can someone please tell me where I can find info on mounting holes for daytona wing and inside bracket hole mounting dimensions? Thanks

Daytona R/T SE

Dave Patik at performance car graphics makes a template set.

It was very helpful to me on my car.

70 sublime

I just did this last week

Back edge of wing base is 3" from edge of 1/4 pannel (not the end cap) and 2 1/8 " from inside edge of trunk opening

I just made my own template out of an EGGO box  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

FJ5WING

something dosent look right?
wouldnt the horizontal have the same angle as the deck lid?
wingless now, but still around.

myk

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 03, 2015, 03:09:03 PM

Back edge of wing base is 3" from edge of 1/4 pannel (not the end cap) and 2 1/8 " from inside edge of trunk opening

I just made my own template out of an EGGO box  :2thumbs:

That is so cool.  Do you have any other pictures of that car?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

myk

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on July 04, 2015, 12:17:11 PM
nice picture thank you for mine

Are you mounting a Daytona wing on your car as well?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

A383Wing

Quote from: FJ5WING on July 04, 2015, 10:53:19 AM

looks right to me....

70 sublime

I think Daytona and Superbird up rights have a different angle to them ? 

70 sublime

Quote from: myk on July 04, 2015, 11:01:00 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on July 03, 2015, 03:09:03 PM

I just made my own template out of an EGGO box  :2thumbs:

That is so cool.  Do you have any other pictures of that car?

Think I will start a new thread on the car

A383Wing

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 04, 2015, 07:39:57 PM

I think Daytona and Superbird up rights have a different angle to them ? 

yes, 'Bird uprights are swept back more

thehemikid

FJ5WING...I'm see'n what your say'n.

It may be an optical illusion,  camera lens,  or the perspective view,...but the distance on this end (wing to lid) looks a lot wider than the other side.

Just my 2 eye balls, ...I mean cents worth.

cdr

the wing might have one superbird upright & one daytona  :shruggy:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XS29L9B2

Quote from: myk on July 04, 2015, 01:04:35 PM

no i made one daytona with one 70 it a new car

myk

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on July 05, 2015, 02:35:03 AM
Quote from: myk on July 04, 2015, 01:04:35 PM

no i made one daytona with one 70 it a new car

Oh wow, keep us updated.  I'd love to see that thing rolling through El Cajon one day...

XS29L9B2

Quote from: myk on July 05, 2015, 07:33:31 AM

Oh wow, keep us updated.  I'd love to see that thing rolling through El Cajon one day...

i have one subject hir ;-)

Old Moparz

Wouldn't it make sense that before setting the template to to drill holes that you double check the length of the horizontal portion of the wing?   :shruggy:

I bring this up because I have two different after market wings & each of the horizontal parts are different lengths.

Having said that, can someone tell me what the correct length is supposed to be for a Daytona?
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 06, 2015, 02:04:57 PM
Wouldn't it make sense that before setting the template to to drill holes that you double check the length of the horizontal portion of the wing?   :shruggy:

I bring this up because I have two different after market wings & each of the horizontal parts are different lengths.

Having said that, can someone tell me what the correct length is supposed to be for a Daytona?
HOARDER
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70 sublime

I could not figure out where the inside edge should be because every thing had a curve to it so I put the wing together and set it on the 1/4s then taped down my template before lifting it off  to get the right spot for the holes

Old Moparz

Quote from: moparstuart on July 06, 2015, 02:53:00 PM

HOARDER

You're almost correct.   :lol:

I bought one of Dane's earlier, solid wings, then later on I bought a package deal of Janak's Daytona parts from someone that included a wing. Dane's wing is unfinished & needs to be drilled, but Janak's is good to go & has the studs installed already. I was going to use the Janak uprights to make the templates so I can then drill Dane's wing & use his. Not sure if I can do that now because the wings are different.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

Old Moparz

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 06, 2015, 03:05:22 PM

I could not figure out where the inside edge should be because every thing had a curve to it so I put the wing together and set it on the 1/4s then taped down my template before lifting it off  to get the right spot for the holes

Sounds similar to how I intend to mount it, but my biggest fear is that the tops of the quarters could be pulled inward & show dimples or kinks once the wing is assembled & tightened together. Hard to describe in words, but the top of each quarter panel is not flat so if the wing uprights are already connected to the center piece & the holes for the studs in the base are too far apart, then as the nuts on the underside are tightened & the base of the upright becomes flush with the sheet metal it could distort.
               Bob                

70 sublime

I am using one of Dane's hollow wings now and he already had the studs screwed into the uprights

So I took all the studs out and tightened up the top bolt on the wing on both ends before I set it on the car
It sat down right on the line I had figured out for the gap from the trunk lid opening

In the big picture I do not think the base is very wide to try and flatten out the top of the 1/4 panel and there is still a rubber gasket to go in there too

Old Moparz

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 06, 2015, 06:41:28 PM
I am using one of Dane's hollow wings now and he already had the studs screwed into the uprights

So I took all the studs out and tightened up the top bolt on the wing on both ends before I set it on the car
It sat down right on the line I had figured out for the gap from the trunk lid opening

In the big picture I do not think the base is very wide to try and flatten out the top of the 1/4 panel and there is still a rubber gasket to go in there too

That's good to know, my thought was not so much that the wing was the issue, but that if the holes were mounted too far away from the trunk lid then the base of the uprights would be further apart & could be at a slight angle. The gasket would absorb the difference to a degree but I've tightened parts on things over the years & have seen sheet metal distort.

I didn't write down the difference in the wing measurements but it was significant, like at least 1 inch. They are repacked or I'd go out to the garage & measure it, but I'd still like to know what the actual length of the horizontal part is supposed to be.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

A383Wing

The horizontal section on my Nascar wing is 57-3/8" across

DAY CLONA

The Superbird and Daytona center section, although the same extruded profile/shape are 2 different lengths, the Bird is 55 1/2" +/- 1/4", the Daytona is 57 1/2" +/- 1/4", being that they were hand cut as they were extruded, plus hand finishing at final assembly, the lengths varied...

The Daytona uprights viewed from the rear of the car, should have no taper, a stock wing will measure approx. 60" center to center on the verticals cords on an assembled wing, the cords are the vertical trailing edges top to bottom,....one mistake to avoid is bolting a wing together and positioning it on a car for placement, some wings OEM or repro when bolted together will splay the cords with a taper, the worst case scenario is to have the wing's cords taper down towards the base, making the wing appear pinched at the base when viewed from the rear...

regarding OEM and various aftermarket wings, the heights, base size, and stud location can vary greatly, the only wings to date that have an OEM base size/stud configuration are of course OEM, Janak and Dayclona repro wings, I have had at one time or another almost every repro wing in my procession, and have seen the variations firsthand, so don't make the mistake of mounting one wing, only to substitute it later, you'll only be in for a surprise

mike

70 sublime

I had my lines on the car where the very back should be and where the inside edge should be (I gathered these measurements up when the question had been asked before and saved them)

Yes I could pry my uprights in and out some but I just got them so they would fit on the lines and taped down my template and called it good

On my templates I made
I made one and tried it on the other upright and the 2 center studs where not in the same spot so I have 2 different templates a left and a right  :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

Quote from: A383Wing on July 06, 2015, 10:06:32 PM

The horizontal section on my Nascar wing is 57-3/8" across

Thanks. :cheers:

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 07, 2015, 11:33:03 AM

The Superbird and Daytona center section, although the same extruded profile/shape are 2 different lengths, the Bird is 55 1/2" +/- 1/4", the Daytona is 57 1/2" +/- 1/4", being that they were hand cut as they were extruded, plus hand finishing at final assembly, the lengths varied...

The Daytona uprights viewed from the rear of the car, should have no taper, a stock wing will measure approx. 60" center to center on the verticals cords on an assembled wing, the cords are the vertical trailing edges top to bottom,....one mistake to avoid is bolting a wing together and positioning it on a car for placement, some wings OEM or repro when bolted together will splay the cords with a taper, the worst case scenario is to have the wing's cords taper down towards the base, making the wing appear pinched at the base when viewed from the rear...

regarding OEM and various aftermarket wings, the heights, base size, and stud location can vary greatly, the only wings to date that have an OEM base size/stud configuration are of course OEM, Janak and Dayclona repro wings, I have had at one time or another almost every repro wing in my procession, and have seen the variations firsthand, so don't make the mistake of mounting one wing, only to substitute it later, you'll only be in for a surprise

mike

Are the other dimensions & shape EXACTLY the same for both the Super Bird & the Daytona?  :shruggy:

I'm going to measure both horizontal parts of the wings later to see if they match these numbers match. If they are the same other than the length, I'm starting to wonder if I may have one of each.  ::)
               Bob                

70 sublime

Daytona and Bird wing are different uprights

Baldwinvette77

Has anyone stuck a plymouth wing on a dodge before?  :shruggy:

Old Moparz

I finally had a chance to unwrap the wings to measure them again & this is what I have.....

Dane's Solid aluminum Wing .... 55-15/16"
Ted Janak's Fiberglass Wing ..... 57-7/16"

It's exactly a 1-1/2" difference, but splitting that into two 3/4" for each side should be okay.
               Bob                

Lighthorseman

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 07, 2015, 11:54:41 PM

Yes...I've seen it done.  The Superbird tail actually hangs over the butt end of the Charger.  Just my opinion, but I think it looks pretty cool.  Sadly, I haven't any pictures.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Lighthorseman on August 20, 2017, 02:44:50 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 07, 2015, 11:54:41 PM

Yes...I've seen it done.  The Superbird tail actually hangs over the butt end of the Charger.  Just my opinion, but I think it looks pretty cool.  Sadly, I haven't any pictures.

alfaitalia

Just my opinion...as not a great Daytona fan....but i think the Bird wing looks better on the Charger than the Daytona one. I like the extra rake it has.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!