News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pegged Temp Gauge...

Started by csx4590, July 07, 2015, 08:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx4590

Shop took my '69 for it's final check ride today and the temp gauge goes all the way to the hot side. Changed the sending unit twice and the same thing. The gauges were restored about 8 years ago and recalibrated. Used a laser temp gun and it read 190 or less everywhere. I do not want to use aftermarket/under dash gauges. Are there any other things that could be causing this? Using an under dash unit temporarily just to keep tabs on it while I drive it the first few weeks. I can't wait any longer. It's been 12 years...

You guys have been great and appreciate all the help...

Al

Dino

If it's only the temp gauge then we can probably rule out that it's getting more than 5v.  The gauge may need to be calibrated again.  They can be finnicky to say the least.  Do you have another gauge for testing?  This can be the oil or fuel gauge.  If it reads correct just swap the faces.  I did the same to mine.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

birdsandbees

If it worked before install, I can only suggest that the wire from gauge to the sender unit is pinched / bare to ground somewhere. Full ground = full scale.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Pete in NH

Quote from: birdsandbees on July 07, 2015, 10:14:04 PM
If it worked before install, I can only suggest that the wire from gauge to the sender unit is pinched / bare to ground somewhere. Full ground = full scale.

Hi,

If its only the temperature gauge that is pegging, this is very likely the cause. Try unplugging the sensor wire at the sensor, if the gauge still pegs there is a short in the wiring somewhere.

If the temperature gauge is the only gauge you have connected and the fuel and oil pressure gauge are not yet connected , it could be a bad instrument voltage regulator.

Rolling_Thunder

Mark sure you're using a factory Mopar temp sensor....    most part house sensors and aftermarket work on 0-90 ohms    mopar was 10-73 or something....     If you use a GM sensor on a mopar gauge the temp gauge pegs and you're at operating temp....      ask me how I know  :smilielol:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69_Charger_RT

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 30, 2015, 02:09:44 PM
Mark sure you're using a factory Mopar temp sensor....    most part house sensors and aftermarket work on 0-90 ohms    mopar was 10-73 or something....     If you use a GM sensor on a mopar gauge the temp gauge pegs and you're at operating temp....      ask me how I know  :smilielol:

Did not know that  :cheers:  So I take it the standard BWD or auto store sensor is garbage then.

csx4590

The other (fuel, oil and alternator) gauges work fine. The wire is off of the temp sending unit and the gauge is dead. Where can I get a Mopar sending unit? Are they still available???

Thanks...

Al

68pplcharger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 30, 2015, 02:09:44 PM

Interesting, I'm having a similar issue with my water temp gauge. I'll check my resistance for my sending unit. It's an aftermarket sending unit for a Charger but reads about 40 degrees higher than the after market gauge i was using last year when I was testing prior to paint. If that's the case I'll just engineer a calibration circuit for the sending unit and leave it as is... lol helps having an electronic background. I will also test the voltage to the gauge and sending unit to be sure. The rest of the gauges seem to work great.