News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WHY CANT WE HAVE A HOLLOW WING ?

Started by daytonalo, April 02, 2006, 12:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

WHY IS IT IN THIS DAY AND AGE WE CANT HAVE A ORIGANAL STYLE ALUM WING MADE . I KNOW THERE WOULD BE INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL MOLDS TO HAVE MADE . SOMEONE ON THIS BOARD MUST KNOW SOMEONE WHO KNOWS SOMEONE  IN THE FOUNDRY BUSINESS . LARRY

daytonalo

I THINK WINGCARFAB IS JUST TESTING THE WATERS TO SEE HOW MUCH MONEY HE CAN MAKE !. AGAIN SOMEONE MUST KNOW A PERSON IN THE FOUNDRY BUSINESS THAT WILL TAKE THIS ON , COME ON GUYS  THINK !

hotrod98

Quote from: dads_69 on April 02, 2006, 01:37:10 AM
Wing car fab.com builds metal wings. Haven't spoke with them myself personally but maybe they are hollow.
Just wated to add them to your check them out list.
Mark

I think Jack's wings are steel skin over a tubular frame like the bird wings that Don Currie is building, but I could be wrong.  Don's planning to start on the daytona wings as soon as he gets caught up. I'll ask him to weigh my bird wing before he ships it. I don't expect it to be very heavy. The daytona version would be even lighter of course. Right now he's working on a system to build the horizontal blade where it can be welded without twisting or warping. Not as easy as it looks. He needs to borrow an original set of daytona wings to use for his measurements. I offered my wing that Dane built, but told him that it is a little smaller than an original. Anyone have an original  set that they would be willing to loan out?  I'll bet Don would make it right for someone.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

LARRY, YOU ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING ME !   WHY WHY WHY MUST WE HAVE TO SETTLE FOR A SHEETMETAL WING , AGAIN WITH ALL THE KNOWLEDGE ON THIS BOARD WHY CANT WE FIND SOMEDODY TO UNDERTAKE THIS ? THEY DID IT IN 69 . WITH ALL THE CHINA KNOCK OFFS OUT THERE THERE HAS TO BE A LIMITED MARKET, BUT THEY COULD EASILY SELL THEM FOR 3500 A  POP

hotrod98

Quote from: daytonalo on April 02, 2006, 03:45:33 PM
LARRY, YOU ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING ME ! WHY WHY WHY MUST WE HAVE TO SETTLE FOR A SHEETMETAL WING , AGAIN WITH ALL THE KNOWLEDGE ON THIS BOARD WHY CANT WE FIND SOMEDODY TO UNDERTAKE THIS ? THEY DID IT IN 69 . WITH ALL THE CHINA KNOCK OFFS OUT THERE THERE HAS TO BE A LIMITED MARKET, BUT THEY COULD EASILY SELL THEM FOR 3500 A POP

They won't be selling me one for that price...that would cut into my dragracing fund severely. :yesnod:
I have so many projects going on at one time that I have to be somewhat conservative.
I do agree with you though. I would bet money that there's a guy out there with the ability to build them like the originals and I bet they wouldn't be over 2k.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

JUST A THOUGHT , I THINK IN THIS DAY AND AGE  WITH COMPLEX COMPUTER PROGRAMS  IT WOULD BE A PIECE OF CAKE FOR THE RIGHT GUY

daytonalo

I THINK WE ALL WORK ON IT FIND A GUY TAKE ORDERS , AND THE GUY WHO SETS IT ALL UP RETAINS THE MOLDS . HOW ABOUT LOST FOAM CASTING THAT IS MADE WITH A CNC THEN CAST WITH ALUM

69_500

What was the origional casting mold made of? I am pretty sure the origional mold for the nose cone was wood, but what about the wing mold?

triple_green

Daytonalo,

Are you wanting a solid cast like the ones Dane ran last year?

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

daytonalo

I WILL TAKE IT FROM THE TOP !   I WILL GO REAL SLOW , WHY CANT WE IN THIS DAY AND AGE GET A WING MADE AS ORIG !  WHICH MEANS HOLLOW , NOT SOILID, NOT FILLED WITH DOG SHIT , NOT MADE OF CEMENT , NOT MADE WITH WOOD , NOT MADE WITH STEEL, NO , FUCKING HOLLOW ALUM JUST LIKE ORIG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hemi68charger

Quote from: daytonalo on April 03, 2006, 10:23:26 AM
I WILL TAKE IT FROM THE TOP !   I WILL GO REAL SLOW , WHY CANT WE IN THIS DAY AND AGE GET A WING MADE AS ORIG !  WHICH MEANS HOLLOW , NOT SOILID, NOT FILLED WITH DOG SHIT , NOT MADE OF CEMENT , NOT MADE WITH WOOD , NOT MADE WITH STEEL, NO , FUCKING HOLLOW ALUM JUST LIKE ORIG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whooooo !!!  Easy there cowboy....  :icon_smile_big:     It'll be ok........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hotrod98

Larry, These are the guys that built the original wings. Maybe they would have an idea as to whether it would be feasable for them or someone else to build these wings at a reasonable cost. You would think that people in the business would know of some way or someone that could pull it off. 

Hackett Brass Foundry
1200 Lillibridge Street, Detroit, MI 48214
(313) 822-1214
castingshackettbrass.com

Charles Addams

1fine69

PROBABLY CAUSE IT TAKE A BUNCH OF MONEY TO MAKE THEM AND IT IS A GAMBLE TO BUILD SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND HOPE THAT YOU WILL HAVE A DEMAND TO HAVE BUYERS THAT WILL BE PAYING TO HAVE THEM. ARE YOU WILL ING TO SHELL OUT SOMETHING LIKE 3-6K  :o FOR ONE? I USED TO HAD A BUDDY THAT WORKED AT A FOUNDRY AND THE STUFF THEY BUILT WASN'T CHEAP  :rotz:. ( mostly non automotive ) DON'T GET ME WRONG IT IS SOMETHING REAL COOL THAT SHOULD BE RE POPPED BUT NOTHINGS CHEAP! BUT IF YOU DO FID ANYONE TO DO SO BE SURE TO LET US KNOW!!!  :icon_smile_cool:
THE DEVIL'S A PIMP DON'T BE HIS HOE!

Shakey

PUT UP YOUR HAND IF YOU NEED A HOLLOW DAYTONA WING!   :shruggy:

1fine69

THE DEVIL'S A PIMP DON'T BE HIS HOE!

daytonalo

I'M CURIOUS HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD BE INTRESTED IN AN ORIGANAL STYLE DAYTONA WING FOR AROUND 2500.00 ? . IF I CAN GET 15 ORDERS @ 2500.00 I  CAN DELIVER A HOLLOW DAYTONA WING THAT WILL LOOK, FEEL AND SMELL LIKE AN ORIGANAL WING .