News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation Superbird: Bringing the Lemon-Twist Bird back to life: She's gone...

Started by hemi68charger, August 04, 2015, 07:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Runner

hemi68charger

Operation Superbird; it is over.. The last week has been extremely stressful for me.... With increased frustration with the body shop and the unwarranted reaction of him towards me, I have called it quits on Operation Superbird. It is with much regret, sadness and inner reflection, I came to the conclusion to write it off as a lesson learned and feel the pain of the notorious experiences so many other people have endured.. I wash my hands clean of the situation. Needless to say, no referral by me. I do my part over and over and apparently, that isn't good enough, all because I asked for pictures of progress for money spent of services... 90% of agreed price was paid yet the car was nowhere near ready for paint. There is no way the car could have been done with the remaining amount..
So, the car, for all practical purposes has been sold, what I paid for it originally plus money spent at body shop.. Doesn't include the cost of parts.. I will turn this winged car Mopar-page and go down another path... Who knows..

Here is the yellow-feathered Mopar as she sits patiently waiting for its next home. Then pictures loaded up and heading back towards home. The car will be going to a very good home and WILL see its glory again, just not with my constructive hands.

This sucks....... I am tired..... 😞  Sorry Allen..

Thanks all. The Superbird is sold. I will be discrete about that.. I sold it about 2 hours after all this went down... I s6ort of broke even with the purchase price and the cash invested in it, but not the misc sheet metal I bought. I am getting something else, but I will share that after it happens, don't wanna jinx it. But, I will say that one is a beautiful running driving car and the other is a cool running/driving project. Life is too short for bullshit to be handed you. Communication and integrity are important, especially the later. That is one of the personal characteristics I honor most. Like Marcel said, Karma is a bitch.. I wanna thank Dave Points for helping me go get the ole' Bird. But again, where the car is going will be in REAL good hands.. I have a personal history with this person.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

birdsandbees

Sorry to see and hear that Troy!! I came close with my body shop as well, as time dragged on and $'s continued to fly. If it hadn't been my father's car I may have done as you.

I'm sure there's another toy just around the corner that will bring back the smile !  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

johntpr

Mopar John

Having gone through 2 high level restorations with these cars I am very aware of ALL the things the could go wrong.
I am sorry Troy that it didn't work out for you as we were following along with nice work and progress not that long ago.
It looks like you got the body and your parts back which is some times NOT the case.
I hope you didn't get too far ahead of Smitty on the labor money before the work stalled!
Normally labor money down and timely invoices to keep things moving are best.
I also suggest the shop should have done a similar car so your not paying LEARNING costs and within a days drive to check at least once a month!
MJ

wingcarenvy

I am sorry to hear this too. Bodyshops kill me. I once had a car sit in a shop for over three years and had to pull it even though I had paid in full. And it wasn't even close to being painted. That was after it sat in another shop got painted and it looked like the skin of a lizard.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger_Fan

Man, that sucks. I guess it could have been worse...glad it wasn't, for your sake.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Operation Hasta Luego..
After spending all weekend putting her back together as much as I could.....
She's gone... And I have a empty 2 stalls...
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

taxspeaker

Sorry for this outcome Troy. This is an emotional thing for you, I know. We hear this way too often.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

hemi68charger

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on March 22, 2018, 02:33:54 AM
You are sold your bird ?

Yeap.... Got pretty much all I had invested in it ( purchase price and shop costs ). This was an episode of Body-Shop owner from Hell, he wigged out on me and that, combined with other things going on in my life in a negative way, I just said to myself; enough is enough... So, with the money I got, I have already purchased Danny's former T5 Copper '69 Charger 500 and will be getting another car, a '70 triple black Road Runner, 383 4speed with a/c... It is a running project with a 440 in it now. I'll put my six pack set up on it, an air grabber hood with a modified a/c compressor set-up and drive the heck out of it.... I'll eventually restore it, but it'll be my Mopar to drive if there's a chance of rain.....
Troy

73rallye440magnum

Sorry to hear about the  :eek2: experience with the body shop- seemed things were going smoothly.

Good score on the T5 and the '70 Runner though. The envy status of your garage was not compromised!
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

XS29L9B2

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 22, 2018, 06:25:09 AM
Quote from: XS29L9B2 on March 22, 2018, 02:33:54 AM
You are sold your bird ?

Yeap.... Got pretty much all I had invested in it ( purchase price and shop costs ). This was an episode of Body-Shop owner from Hell, he wigged out on me and that, combined with other things going on in my life in a negative way, I just said to myself; enough is enough... So, with the money I got, I have already purchased Danny's former T5 Copper '69 Charger 500 and will be getting another car, a '70 triple black Road Runner, 383 4speed with a/c... It is a running project with a 440 in it now. I'll put my six pack set up on it, an air grabber hood with a modified a/c compressor set-up and drive the heck out of it.... I'll eventually restore it, but it'll be my Mopar to drive if there's a chance of rain.....

Ok Troy one 500 is cool too
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

chargervert

Like you, I would have loved to see the Superbird finished, but sometimes life has other plans for you.  Glad to hear that you got it sold, and you got the garage space back.  Good luck with your new 500 and the Road Runner project Troy.

Charger-Bodie

Is this the same Body guy hat took advantage of you on the 68 Hemi car you had?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 22, 2018, 12:59:15 PM
Is this the same Body guy hat took advantage of you on the 68 Hemi car you had?

Unfortunately, yes.......... I went many years not talking to him... We made our peace and pressed on.... The previous arrangement was totally different, albeit it still sucked... This time we both agreed this would be a more formal contractual arrangement/agreement with monthly payment installments with production expectations.. It was going well initially, then he got back to his same crap... With other "stuff" going on in my life at the time, his last episode was the straw that broke the camel's back..... There was NO way I would be able to afford starting all over again at another body shop that I trusted... So, I threw in the towel and went another route... Got another Aero and a 4-gear at that... So, it's all good............ 
Troy