News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

James Hylton with his old wing car

Started by Stevearino, August 05, 2015, 08:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1RareBird

The horizontal line that you are referring to goes all the way across on the original Hylton daytona as well.  You can see it in the pic you posted if you look closely. It is however, not as pronounced behind where the valve cover rests, which is correct. I have seen this on many Nichels cars built between 68-70.  The firewall on the car CLAIMING to be the Hylton daytona has a firewall I have never seen before and would bet it is hand made.  I would like to see a matching firewall from another Nichels car if that is not the case.  What it does say, is the car CLAIMING to be the Hylton-Prince daytona is likely another chassis (non daytona), like you posted.  In addition, if you look at the cage bar that goes from the upper passenger hoop diagonally down and back, it is set back on the main top hoop exactly like the non-daytona Hylton had.  
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

1RareBird

Quote from: odcics2 on August 10, 2015, 02:12:22 AM
Nichels firewall.

When was that car built?  all the later (68-70) Nichels built firewalls I have seen carry the same stamping. 
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Aero426

Quote from: 1RareBird on August 10, 2015, 09:49:15 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on August 10, 2015, 02:12:22 AM
Nichels firewall.

When was that car built?  all the later (68-70) Nichels built firewalls I have seen carry the same stamping.  

This photo is from July 1969.

Aero426

Quote from: 1RareBird on August 10, 2015, 09:43:13 AM
 In addition, if you look at the cage bar that goes from the upper passenger hoop diagonally down and back, it is set back on the main top hoop exactly like the non-daytona Hylton had.  

Very odd.   Not the way Nichels would have done it.

Aero426

Another odd feature.   On Nichels built cars, the stock inner door jamb was cut away and replaced with a piece of flat sheet metal.    This car still has the stock jamb.

Aero426

Sway bar mounting bracket on this car is different than the photo of the Daytona shown outside the shop.    As mentioned, it appears Mike took the photos on the same day.   So to mention it again, there are three cars shown in the photos - the 1967 Charger & Daytona outside the shop and the 69 Charger 500 inside the shop.  

wingcar builder

Looks like might have a winner. the car in question i'm sure is the Charger 500 not the Daytona.

odcics2

And check out the hood hinges...   Nichels (modified A body) vs what looks like a B body hinge on the various Hylton cars. Not something you'd swap around.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Stevearino

Quote from: Aero426 on August 10, 2015, 02:41:41 PM
Sway bar mounting bracket on this car is different than the photo of the Daytona shown outside the shop.    As mentioned, it appears Mike took the photos on the same day.   So to mention it again, there are three cars shown in the photos - the 1967 Charger & Daytona outside the shop and the 69 Charger 500 inside the shop.  

That sway bar mount caught my eye earlier and if there is a picture of that area on the car in question that also might help to clarify things.

The cage seems to match the 500. One question I have that has nothing to do with verifying the car as the 500 or Daytona. Why was the top half of the cage cut off and than sleeved back together? :shruggy:

wingcar builder

James claims to have altered that support bar himself.  said car flexed to much

1RareBird

Perhaps the car was cut/sleeved to accommodate a newer, shorter, smaller body? I know some cars that hard their cage sections even replaced to accommodate them. Just a thought.

In addition, I wonder what the current owner would think if they saw these pictures Wingcar Builder posted. It's pretty difinitive proof in my eyes, but who know what proof they are going off of to believe it is what they think.

Stevearino

Quote from: 1RareBird on August 10, 2015, 06:40:50 PM
Perhaps the car was cut/sleeved to accommodate a newer, shorter, smaller body? I know some cars that hard their cage sections even replaced to accommodate them. Just a thought.

In addition, I wonder what the current owner would think if they saw these pictures Wingcar Builder posted. It's pretty difinitive proof in my eyes, but who know what proof they are going off of to believe it is what they think.

Having unknowingly restored a car to something it probably wasn't (A 1974 Chevy Laguna Bobby Allison car that most likely was a Donnie Allison Digard car)I have strong feelings about making this a Hylton Daytona if it never was. Better to restore it to a Charger 500 if that is what it proves out to be. Are there any Charger 500 racecars restored?

Aero426

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: wingcar builder on August 09, 2015, 10:24:45 AM
Actually it is a Nichels firewall. I forgot I had a photo of a Nichels road runner under construction in my archives. this is P-94 note the horizontal bead has no space. it runs solid all the way. why there are 2 styles is beyond me.

I love the sheetmetal work.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

cdr

Quote from: Stevearino on August 10, 2015, 06:51:38 PM
Quote from: 1RareBird on August 10, 2015, 06:40:50 PM

Having unknowingly restored a car to something it probably wasn't (A 1974 Chevy Laguna Bobby Allison car that most likely was a Donnie Allison Digard car)I have strong feelings about making this a Hylton Daytona if it never was. Better to restore it to a Charger 500 if that is what it proves out to be. Are there any Charger 500 racecars restored?

:iagree:  a restored 500 race car would be awesome if that is what this car is.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

thehemikid

Yum Yum  :drool5:

Not saying this is a resto, ...just  :drool5:

wingman(22)

odcics2

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

wingcar builder

odcics2

Quote from: tan top on August 14, 2015, 07:20:15 AM
interesting , a C500  :o   wonder if it started out as a 68

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/shake-and-bake/don-t-hate-only-48-more-days-until-the-daytona-500-on-fox-010614

What's up with the pass side main cage bar between those 2 photos?    :shruggy:

2 different cars, me thinks!!   :Twocents:

wingcar builder

RH side shot of the damage from Baker at Texas. Mike Ashley photo.

wingcar builder

Some Outstanding history has surfaced on this Chassis....Stay tuned.