News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

James Hylton with his old wing car

Started by Stevearino, August 05, 2015, 08:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: wingcar builder on October 13, 2015, 12:14:36 PM
Some Outstanding history has surfaced on this Chassis....Stay tuned.

It's Lee Petty's Daytona 500 winner??   :shruggy:   :o    :lol:

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mike DC

I knew it - it's a Richard Petty Superbird! 

Isn't that what every 66-74 Mopar chassis really is?  IIRC, Petty's crew was rotating through the chassis of every other Mopar team in the field at the time.  Each week they would run another team's chassis as their own.  The order came from Mopar itself, so that 50 years later everyone could restore them all as #43 birds. 

------------------------------------

Man, the drivers were always sitting down so low in those cars. 

tan top

:o   ..... :popcrn: :popcrn:  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Did the car spend some time near El Paso?

:popcrn:

odcics2

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 14, 2015, 08:12:08 AM

I knew it - it's a Richard Petty Superbird! 

Isn't that what every 66-74 Mopar chassis really is?  IIRC, Petty's crew was rotating through the chassis of every other Mopar team in the field at the time.  Each week they would run another team's chassis as their own.  The order came from Mopar itself, so that 50 years later everyone could restore them all as #43 birds. 

------------------------------------

Man, the drivers were always sitting down so low in those cars. 

Lower driver, better handling!  Hey, it all adds up!

Ghoste

Or they were all set up for Buddy Baker.

odcics2

odcics2

djcarguy

Quote from: odcics2 on October 13, 2015, 02:41:42 PM

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :icon_smile_blackeye: :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :popcrn:

odcics2

Quote from: djcarguy on October 17, 2015, 10:52:21 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on October 13, 2015, 02:41:42 PM

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :icon_smile_blackeye: :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :popcrn:

:popcrn:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how about one good pic of this new history input????    :shruggy:

Aero426

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on October 18, 2015, 09:52:49 PM
Why is this song running through my head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUeDUeaoAU

So, Marty drove the car previously?   THIS Hylton car was Marty's old Charger...   :shruggy:

wingcar builder

Feleena was once a Charger 500...........But she Whirled into a Beautiful Daytona.  ;)  And, this is just one source.

wingcar builder

little easier to read the important part.

1RareBird

So, the Hylton charger 500 was converted to Marty Robins daytona by Bobby Allison.  Interesting in that if you look at the Robbins daytona the cage bar on the upper front passenger corner (oddly set-back) matches the Hylton car.  Another thing I find neat is when this car was shown on e-bay it was rolling on 1 rim that was painted Marty Robbins purple/pink.  That would also explain why that chassis had holes in the trunk for the wing supports.  Very cool find!!!  Now, I wonder what the current owners will do with the restoration?
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

wingcar builder

Exactly. but the rim was just a fluke. it was one that Bill Rossi had.

1RareBird

I agree the rim was more a funny coincidence than anything else.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

medgold68

Anyword word on how the owners of the car will restore the car back?
Charger 500 or Daytona??
What would be correct, or is there such a thing as correct if it were both at one time or another?
Interesting.

odcics2

So all previous "history" is not correct?
Not the Prince car that was wrecked at Daytona?

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on October 19, 2015, 03:12:33 PM

Would appear that "most" history as reported is incorrect, except for having been owned by Hylton previously. 

In the shop photos taken the same day, the 500 sits inside the shop, the Daytona (Prince car) and 67 Charger sit outside. 

wingcar builder

Quote from: odcics2 on October 19, 2015, 03:12:33 PM

I can understand how the confusion occurred. there are in fact holes in the trunk for wing braces. but, until the picture that Mike Ashley took at Hylton's it was always assumed James only had the one chassis. Even talking with James years ago he never said he had two 69' Chargers.  These guys really don't remember all that stuff. didn't have to. Kind of like Don White talking to me about the Charger behind his shop back in the day and never said it was the old #88 car. but, as Terry Nichels said Don is the kind of you don't ask he don't tell kinda guy. But, after serious archive searches and countless hours comparing photos. and talking with the right people  things start coming together. But Mike's photos were the "Smoking Gun" so to speak.  when James said he did some of his own work, he was right the photo clearly shows the vice with a bar in it. so they had added or replaced something.  But after it was sold to Marty Bobby Allison did the front suspension work and Eddie Allison helped prep the car for Marty. Yes, Bobby has lost a lot of memory but he still remembers stuff to.as does Eddie.  No disrespect to James Hylton but The car is going to be restored back to Marty Robbin's Livery.

Stevearino

Glad it gets to be a wing car after all but it could have been put back to the Hylton #48 Charger 500 and I would be equally happy. The Robbins car is a striking car so it will be a nice piece for sure.

wingcar builder

Marty was a race car driver who could sing. and was an icon.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr