News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Underhood light on a 2nd gen, anyone have pics of this?

Started by Dino, August 08, 2015, 09:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have lights everywhere else so I might as well add this one!  I'm not trying to find an original mopar light as I am more than unwilling to spend hundreds on something like this but there's plenty other options like the old GM light.  My question is, where does the lamp and the contact pin go?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

Get one with a Mercury switch built in at the light. Then it's simple a simple wire job. Turns on automatically when hoods lifted.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

myk

Or, like when my car had an alarm, the area where the hood bumper sits used to have a pin switch there; lift the hood and the alarm received the relevant signal...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

I'm actually installing one of those over the winter.  I didn't think of that, I could just run the lamp wire from the same switch.

I should also look into a hood release from the cabin.  The entire engine bay will be stripped and the grille removed, might as well do it then!

JR

Your post reminds me Dino, i cant add anything to how to add the contact switch, but  I found a cool source for modern LED lights. I used two of their products for hood mounted turn signal indicators,  and plan to do more lamps later.

Www.oznium.com

Here's two of their amber led assemblies I used. They've got a ton of different sizes. I'm happy with them.

I was planning to get some more for trunk, glovebox, and footwall lighting, but they would work well under hood too. A lot of them are backed with 3M tape, so no drilling required.

Just wanted to share.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Dino

I like it!  I'll take a look on their website and see if something jumps out.  I still don't know where the stock lamp would go though.

moparfan53

Quote from: Dino on August 08, 2015, 12:30:47 PM
I like it!  I'll take a look on their website and see if something jumps out.  I still don't know where the stock lamp would go though.

I am fairly sure there was no underhood lamp available as an option. I know the light group option did not include one.

A383Wing

No option for one...I put one on my 70....I used the GM style with mercury switch built in...only had to run one hot wire to terminal under hood......if ya need a pic, let me know, I can get one tomorrow

Dino

A pic would be great, thanks!

I don't know why I thought this was optional.  Was it on later models or C bodies maybe?

A383Wing

Here are 4 pics, used standard GM one wire light assembly...hot wire ran to starter relay battery terminal for power, light goes off when hood is closed. I'm running an 1156 bulb in mine, LED bulb may work as well