News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rallye dash amp meter

Started by Lewis, August 08, 2015, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewis

Hello all I am in need of some suggestions my amp meter broke on my 73 charger rallye dash and when I mean broke I mean I have taken the dash apart to restore and little rivets or whatever you call them holding the needle to the dial has perished and fallen to pieces so the dial has pretty much fallen apart, are they easy to locate or is there any replica ones out there? Or can a different dial replace it? Thank you

E5 Charger

I don't believe anyone is making a repro of this gauge. There are a couple NOS ones on ebay. You should also do a search on this forum about the issues with the amp gauges.

Lewis

BananaDan

*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Lewis

I can't seem to find any :( what do people do when the bypass their amp meter do they just leave it in and not use it or replace it with something else?

E5 Charger

There is a NOS one right now, but you won't like the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-1971-72-73-74-B-BODY-AMMETER-W-RALLYE-/381291472752?fits=Year%3A1973|Model%3ACharger&hash=item58c6be2770&vxp=mtr
I would try a Google search or wait for another one to show up on ebay at a resonable price.

Lewis

Jeez that is a bit expensive although converted to sterling it's quite cheap, what would you do? Leave it in and not use it? If I bypass it what would that mean? How would I bypass it?

Pete in NH

Hi Lewis,

Ebay is not always the best place to find parts, the price is often quite high. The part number given in the Ebay listing is 2985219. That is the ammeter for the rally dash without a clock. Go to partsvoice.com and put that part number in and Chrysler as the manufacturer. You will  several suppliers that list that part number. Arizona Parts has two listed for $22. Stay away from Collectors Supply, they will buy the $22 part and sell it to you at a steep mark up.

If you are using a stock alternator on the car I would stay with the ammeter rather than bypassing it. If you stay with the ammeter I can give you some ideas on how to make the wiring more reliable.

E5 Charger

Arizona Parts are very reasonable. I bought a NOS wiper switch from them, that was half the price of ebay. The problem is they are closed until September. I am in the process of restoring my cluster and am very interested in the best way to deal with the ammeter. We need someone to provide correct, very detailed step by step instructions dealing with the wiring to this gauge. Of course the more photos the better. I would hate to see all my work go up in smoke.

Pete in NH

Quote from: E5 Charger on August 11, 2015, 09:17:26 AM
Arizona Parts are very reasonable. I bought a NOS wiper switch from them, that was half the price of ebay. The problem is they are closed until September. I am in the process of restoring my cluster and am very interested in the best way to deal with the ammeter. We need someone to provide correct, very detailed step by step instructions dealing with the wiring to this gauge. Of course the more photos the better. I would hate to see all my work go up in smoke.

What year Charger are you working on? The basic wiring modifications are all about the same but, the details of what to do vary by year.

Lewis

I'm working on a 1973 late summer built 1972

Lewis

Hi Pete,

Thanks I'll give that ago, I do have a stock alternator but it has blown and was given another one for free :) so going to give that a shot I gather it's an original by looking at it but not sure the amp of it, also do I need a voltage regulator with an amp not great with electrics!

Pete in NH

Hi Lewis,

I know what your working on but E5 Charger didn't indicate what year his car is.

On the voltage regulator, the Chrysler part number is 4529494. Do a Google search and multiple sources will show up. There are many after market regulators of this type available also but, I prefer the original Chrysler part. I've seen too many failures with the after market regulators. Some after market types are okay, others are cheap Chinese junk. Post a picture of your spare alternator so I can see if it the right one for your car.

Lewis

Hello Pete,

Yeah sorry got the comments muddled up aha,

I understand I've added it to my shopping list! Not a probem I'll get that for you tomorrow as I don't have a photo right now, thank you for your time

Nacho-RT74

Do you have clock or tach on cluster ? if not, thats the one.

If you do... this is the one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-B-body-1971-1974-Amp-Gauge-Dash-Used-/121566026403?hash=item1c4de65aa3&vxp=mtr

I can give you a clue... PROBABLY you can use internals parts of the standard cluster one to rebuilt your one. Studs are same distance. Although dunno the rest of measurements

Compare with your one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-AMP-GAUGE-1971-74-CHARGER-B-BODY-2985396-NICE-PIECE-DODGE-/121600975719?hash=item1c4ffba367&vxp=mtr

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

E5 Charger

Quote from: Pete in NH on August 11, 2015, 03:40:03 PM
Hi Lewis,

I know what your working on but E5 Charger didn't indicate what year his car is.

On the voltage regulator, the Chrysler part number is 4529494. Do a Google search and multiple sources will show up. There are many after market regulators of this type available also but, I prefer the original Chrysler part. I've seen too many failures with the after market regulators. Some after market types are okay, others are cheap Chinese junk. Post a picture of your spare alternator so I can see if it the right one for your car.

Hi Pete,
I'm working on a 74.

Pete in NH

E5 Charger,

If you are keeping a stock size alternator I would simply install what Chrysler Called the "fleet wiring bypass modification". They installed this modification on B body cars that had the bigger 60 amp alternators such as police cars and taxi's. If you are going to use an alternator bigger than 60 amps I would totally bypass the ammeter and go to a voltmeter.

If you can handle basic wiring I can give you the details on this modification or do a search in this section as I've covered this many times before.

E5 Charger

Thanks Pete. I guess I will have to decide on the alternator I'm using and take it from there.