News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

12.5v when testing ground to to neg battery post

Started by BananaDan, August 09, 2015, 01:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

when I connect my multimeter to the negative battery post (neg cable disconnected) and a body ground I see 12.5 volts. Shouldn't I see close to zero?
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BananaDan

No, the negative battery cable is disconnected (see above).

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

A383Wing

you will see 12v...your meter is connecting the battery to ground, that is, the meter is now your neg battery cable....it's measuring a voltage that is being used, such as a dome light, radio memory, anything that takes 12v to run.

Bryan

BananaDan

elacruze

Keep in mind that your DMM can't see current, so you could have a minute parasitic draw and show full battery voltage. Clocks, interior lamps, radio memories can all show up on the meter. If you're trying to find how much draw there is, use a test light-if it glows bright, you need to find out why. No light or very very dim isn't enough to worry about if you run it every week or so. 1 amp or less is acceptable.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

c00nhunterjoe

Even the cheap $5 multimeters from harbor freight have an amp setting. Make sure the key is off and doors closed, hook the meter up in series on the 10 amp setting between the post and the cable. .05 amps is the industry standard for allowed parasitic draw, but the old chargers with the clock MIGHT be a little higher. If you have more then 1/4 amp then there may be a draw.