News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XV retractable seatbelts

Started by comet_666, August 10, 2015, 09:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Anyone have pics of how you installed these?

303 Mopar

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

myk

Are they available again?  I thought they were just rebranded units from another manufacturer?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

comet_666

I think they are available. I bought these a few months back and am now at the install stage. They may be rebranded but not positive.
I will mess with these this week and take pics.

myk

Thanks for posting Comet; looks like the XV belts are back.  I really want to buy these things but I wonder how they'd fit with my ProCar Rallye aftermarket seats.  Also, does the mounting hardware come with the XV belts?  I couldn't find the "original" vendor for these belts before XV rebranded them.  As for how to mount the belts, don't they just replace the stockers in the original locations? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

comet_666

I did not see any mounting hardware with these. Reuse your bolts, not sure what I am going to use for the retractor part. I do know you need to have the mount for the upper bolt or your out of luck. The female end is very short and will not work on cars with a buddy seat or console. I spoke to Chris at XV and he said use the female end from the backs because they are longer. The plastic sleeve needs to be either elimited or cut down.

myk

Ugh.  Does anyone know if the hardware for the seat belts is sold on its own?  My car didn't have its shoulder belts installed when I bought the car so I never had the bolts and other hardware.

I also read in other threads that the female end of the belt will work as long as the sleeve is completely eliminated for console compatibility...

WHITE AND RED 69

I'm not sure if there is a difference between the new ones and the ones I purchased years ago, but I took a heat gun to the plastic end and molded it to fit with the console. Its a tight fit and still rubs the console a bit but at least now it doesn't fall to the floor where your hand can't reach it.

I can post some pics later on of mine installed.   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

comet_666

myk

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 11, 2015, 01:06:19 PM
I'm not sure if there is a difference between the new ones and the ones I purchased years ago, but I took a heat gun to the plastic end and molded it to fit with the console. Its a tight fit and still rubs the console a bit but at least now it doesn't fall to the floor where your hand can't reach it.

I can post some pics later on of mine installed.   :2thumbs:

I bet they're the same ones.

So where would I get the bolts to install these things?  I take it they're special bolts?

68Charger4me

I had to use the heat gun trick to by the console, the only other thing about them are they are VERY sensitive when you grab them to use them.  You have to pull them very slowly or they engage.

BananaDan

Quote from: myk on August 11, 2015, 07:24:49 PM

So where would I get the bolts to install these things?  I take it they're special bolts?
I see lots on eBay. Search for Mopar seatbelt bolts. Also try Bill Edwards http://allmoparseatbelts.com/.
PG Classics has them too so that should mean B/E & A would have them.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

comet_666

My upper shoulder bolts don't go all the way in..they might be rusty. Found a site that might have correct ones...

http://www.andoauto.com/mounting.htm

BananaDan

It's been a few years, but I think there are different length bolts depending on which spot on the car. If you have some and only need a couple, I would call Bill Edwards. He is great and very helpful. When I bought my belts from him we talked for almost an hour.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

myk

I might have to do that.  As you said there are different lengths depending on location so I need specifics.  I tried talking to XV but they don't know or remember.

Edit: so, the XV belts are just rebranded pieces.  Who is the original vendor or maker?

Re-edit: just got an email from Bill Edwards; he absolutely will NOT sell the seat belt hardware to me.   :shruggy: XV won't answer my emails either, so I guess I just wasn't meant to buy seat belt bolts lol...

comet_666

Seat belt bolts that I have are the long ones for the back seat and the ones on the hump and shoulder are the same bolts. Only ones I am having issues with are the shoulder bolts, they go in but not far enough and I dont want to crank the hell out of them for fear they will snap. The retractable part just screws into the rocker with a large screw.

Anyone know if the bolts are the same for E Body? They sell those at CI

myk

comet_666

myk

I'll zip tie those belts into place before I spend $75. 

I'm going to take a chance with the bits and pieces on eBay.   ::)

comet_666

https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk2.asp?code=9505&title=Seat+Belt+Bolts

I may just try getting mine blasted, I think the threads are beat which is why it wont go in all the way.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

comet_666

Does that shoulder belt bolt fit in the stock mounting hole?

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

comet_666

Cool, i'll give them a shot.

Thanks!

myk

Quote from: cdr on August 18, 2015, 01:18:27 PM
try this company, i have their belts in my car
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/3-point-seat-belt-enb-retr.html

Aw man.  I wish I had seen that before I ordered the XV stuff.  I might be able to use Wesco's seat belt extender for the female end to help it clear the console though... :scratchchin:

Dino

Call Steve at seatbeltlanet.com 

He has the stock belts and lots of custom goodies to make sure it fits the console and the belt doesn't strangle you.  He can aso make them with a modern retractable box.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

comet_666

I took a chance last night and cranked the shoulder bolt all the way into place making sure to leave room for the headliner and movement.
Does the retractor part look correct? It's not screwed down and I stuck a bolt in to hold the other part there for now.

comet_666

I was also able to wedge the other side inbetween the seat and buddy seat. I may use a heat gun to make it a bit more mobile and I may make a loop around it so it wont accidentally fall down between the seat.
Bad pic, sorry.

myk

just trying to make sure I install these belts correctly.  The retractor goes on top of the other piece and they share the same bolt, correct?  Also, on the other piece the angled side faces in towards the seat, right?

comet_666

I think so , it looks like the only logical set up to me.

I was wondering what this nub is for?

myk

You didn't install yours, yet?

comet_666

Nope, just hanging there. I'm installing carpet tonight so probably wednesday or this weekend i'll bolt them down.

These pictures are slightly helpful. Note the white tag location facing inward.

http://xvengineering.com/products/xv-racing-products-3-point-retractable-belt-bucket-seats-black

myk

Right.  Now I have to hope that the bolts I picked up from ebay are the right ones.  Also, there are only two holes for the shoulder belts right?  I can't see because my headliner doesn't have any holes cut out...

comet_666

One bolt hole each side.
Here is a half assed pic I took last week.

myk

Ah that helped, thank you.  Well with your pictures and XV's I mounted the driver's side belt today.  I didn't do the passenger's because I don't have enough bolts to do both sides. 

Tapping and cutting a hole into my virgin headliner broke my heart, but I guess it was worth it.  I'm worried that the shoulder portion of the seatbelt will eventually wear out the surrounding area of the headliner that it's bolted into.  Maybe some washers to push it off of the actual headliner?  As for the female end of the belt, I ended up keeping the female part of my lap belt setup because the XV female belt was waaaaaay too short; another 5 inches or so would've done it for me.  I think the problem is my height: at 5'4", my seat is all the way forward and there's no way the short female end of the XV belts will reach up there.  At least I was able to keep the plastic guide that holds the female end of the belt; it actually helps to guide the female end of the belt onto the seat where it needs to be.  Oh well, now to find more belt bolts and to think about mounting my backseat belts!

comet_666

The bolts I ordered did not work. (Wesco performance)
XV told me to use the female end of the back seat for the front, might wanna give that a shot if you have them. As for headliner, mine is not in yet but I might use something like the window crank circular black plastic thing on mine. Just dril the hole out bigger?   :shruggy:

myk

Quote from: comet_666 on August 27, 2015, 07:13:41 AM
The bolts I ordered did not work. (Wesco performance)
XV told me to use the female end of the back seat for the front, might wanna give that a shot if you have them. As for headliner, mine is not in yet but I might use something like the window crank circular black plastic thing on mine. Just dril the hole out bigger?   :shruggy:

So XV knows the front female belt is too short but they continue to sell it?  Classic lol.  I scrounged for some bolts on eBay.  XV had offered to give me some bolts for free but they didn't  ship them...

comet_666

The XV belts are for bucket seats only, in their world bucket seats mean no console or buddy seat. When I get my belts in I may have a few extra bolts left over I can send you.

myk

Thank you sir.  You're a busy bee for sure, and I appreciate the consideration...