News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Switched 12V circuit in engine bay that is hot during "key on" and "cranking"?

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, August 12, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I am adding efi to my 69 charger and I was wondering what wires in the engine bay are a switched 12V circuit that is hot during both "Key On" and "Cranking."?

My setup is stock a 69 wiring harness with MSD6AL box and I wired in a 70 style voltage regulator. The ballast resistor has been bypassed. Can I tap into the original ballast wires and if so which wire? Or is there a better spot?

:cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

John_Kunkel

If you're dumping the ballast, merely hook the wires on both sides of the ballast together and use them to power the MSD small red wire and the EFI.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks John   :cheers:

MSD box has been hooked up for years now and the ballast wires were hooked together at that time.

So the MSD instructions had me hook up the red power wire to the original + coil wire, so I can just tap into that connection for the EFI? That would make it easy or should I tap into one of the ballast wires? Would it matter which ballast wire I tap into since they are now connected?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

John_Kunkel

Once the ballast is eliminated, the coil + wire is the same circuit as the original ballast wires so, yeah, that's as good a source as any.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster