News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painless wiring?

Started by chargervic, August 18, 2015, 05:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargervic

I have been asked to re-wire a 68 Charger that has been heavily modified with engine wiring hidden, firewall smoothed, etc. A stock dash or engine side harness will not work. Has anyone used a Painless Wiring kit on these cars? The reviews I see on Summit's site for Painless Charger kits are not great and the one I see listed is for 70 ( Key in column).
Any ideas guys? I have lots of experience with these cars and wiring, just trying to get a good start with getting a decent kit to work with.
1968 Charger 451 Six Pack
2004 3500 Cummins
2002 Grand Caravan

comet_666

Look into a Ron Francis kit. The XP-777 kit is what I had. Didn't use it but it may be something to look into.

chargervic

Thanks for the reply. I saw some of your earlier posts after I asked my question. It looks like this job will be a real challenge as EVERYTHING has been hacked up/modified and no place to mount anything on the firewall. Dash wiring is a mess, so I've got to start from scratch.
2004 3500 Cummins
2002 Grand Caravan

Rolling_Thunder

I wrote up some a thread elsewhere before....     all manufacturers have come out with new products but its a good guideline

http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?555-Wiring-Thread-Advice-and-Info&highlight=wiring

I used painless in my 1968 - the poor reviews are because people usually expect a simple "GM" style installation ---  I only look at the fuse block and wiring - everything else is done by hand and innovation. Most people do not like the idea of having to plan out an entire wiring harness.

I like the painless system but I would go with micro-fuses to consolidate space.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

myk

Exactly. People are looking for plug and play simplicity and with the Painless system it isn't that easy.  You've got to come up with your own connectors, reuse the original ones or fabricate your own, and that bothers some people...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

chargervic

Thanks Rolling_Thunder for the reply. I was sort of leaning to the Painless system already. I have lots of knowledge on the wiring systems in Mopars, but have not had to do one from scratch before. I just wanted to get the most complete kit so I don't have to keep running to the parts store for more supplies. Wish me luck.
2004 3500 Cummins
2002 Grand Caravan

Derwud

I plan on doing a custom harness using a Painless Fuse Block and 2 remote Aux fuse boxes (one in the trunk and one under hood).
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

sanders7981

I went with Painless for my wiring, and have ZERO automotive electrical experience.  However, I will admit that the instructions were easy to follow, and the wires are all marked about every 12 inches so you know where they go to.  I haven't gotten my motor yet, but I am confident that the wiring is correct and work just fine.   

six-tee-nine

You dont need alot of automotive electrical expierience to wire one of these cars. Its not like wiring a modern car.

If you have basic electrical skills, can handle a ohmmeter, and understand how the electrical system in a car works (meaning everything being negative is connected to the body and being switched positive).

And importand have a wiring diagram of your car so you can follow where you are going and how it was wired from the factory.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

fizz

I will say that when I needed help figuring out how to tie in the turn signal and ignition switch(only factory wiring I used) the Ron Francis tech pulled out a factory diagram and helped figure it out'

chargervic

Thanks for all the replies. I won't be starting this job until October or so. Have to finish the 70 Hemi Cuda I'm working on first. The original question was about the completeness of the Painless kit, I don't have any concerns about the technical part of the wiring job. I've been building Mopar hot rods for 55 years.
2004 3500 Cummins
2002 Grand Caravan