News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Led light questions

Started by keith88, August 19, 2015, 09:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

The next project that im going to do are led lights in the front and rear I'm all set as far as the headlight them selves but i want to do the running lights/blinkers and bake lights. Been seeing a lot of back and forth on style fit and the flasher needed ..Like will i need two or just one to make them work? when i look at the wiring diagram it shows only one flasher but i have heard of people say you will need two ,one for blinkers and one for emergency blinkers. The type of led seams to be an issue as far as them actually fitting  in the socket as well. Any help from someone who has done this would be so helpful ...thanks.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

WHITE AND RED 69

Yep, you will need to replace both flasher units. One is near the steering column and the other is closer to the ashtray.

If you are just swapping in bulbs make sure to get a 360 degree firing bulb(especially for the driving lights). These will produce more light all the way around rather than just a forward firing bulb. And get a good quality bulb, lots of complaints for LEDs are from people who went cheap and bought junk bulbs and then complain the stock bulbs were better. Not saying you need $30 bulbs, just don't get the 99 cent ones.

Are you just adding an amber bulb for the turn signals/driving lights? One option for the blinkers/running lights is to go with a switchback LED. That way it can be amber during signaling and white while driving. I have this in mine, works and looks great.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

keith88

Actually i like the amber color so i will be keeping it colored, thanks for the info also ,i see a lot of 360 led out there and it is what i was planning on buying .Will they all fit or is there a certain kind i have to look for? Some that i have seen on ebay say they wont fit when you do the compatibility test ,but i wounder if its just because they dont really know.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

WHITE AND RED 69

I tend to stay away from ebay LEDs...There are just too many cheap ones out there. Check out https://www.superbrightleds.com/  or https://www.ledlight.com/  I've had great results with both of these companies. They have the measurements of the LEDs so you should be able to see which ones fit and which ones are too big. Only bulbs I would stay away from are the ones that taper outwards, these won't fit through the housing holes. 

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

ODZKing

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 20, 2015, 12:35:18 AM
I tend to stay away from ebay LEDs...There are just too many cheap ones out there. Check out https://www.superbrightleds.com/  or https://www.ledlight.com/  I've had great results with both of these companies. They have the measurements of the LEDs so you should be able to see which ones fit and which ones are too big. Only bulbs I would stay away from are the ones that taper outwards, these won't fit through the housing holes.  
I would agree W&R. My side markers take 168/194 bulbs and they were junk (from EBay), but I haven't found any better ones. Even the ones that SuperBright and LEDLight offer have the cheap one-wire bottom and they're more expensive. The ones with the metal base were OK and I'll see how they last.

keith88

Put led in the back up lights today and painted the housing and cleaned the lens while i was at it, The housing were rusted pretty good both inside and outside,painted the insides brite silver and the outsides black  look a lot better and the leds are MUCH brighter than stock bulbs . Have the rest of the car leds coming early next week cant wait to install the rest.

keith88

I have a major problem the led that run the brake/ blinkers dont work it says if it dont flip the bulb 180 you cant because of the nubs are off set on theses . so i cut one wire to hook it up back wards and the light s work but not the brake because it needs the other polarity now what.

keith88

An ending to this story is  i was able to use led bulbs in all the lights but the 1157 that operate the brake/blinkers light in those i used a red colored normal bulbs. 1st i had to put the led flasher in to get then to work but only one of them the other made no difference on how they worked . The issue i ended up with is that if i used all led bulbs the brake lights would go out when i hit them but the blinkers and running light would still work. From what im told i could have fixed that issue by installing a resister in the feed wire but i not going to hack up my harness just to fix that. All and all they all look good and im happy with the results and the way they look. :cheers: