News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wrecked Daytona

Started by Shakey, April 03, 2006, 02:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

I actually had nine cars listed as being delivered to OK, but none of them were Hemicars.  My spreadsheet isn't infallible though.  Which one of these is a Hemicar?  I might need to make a few more corrections yet.

Here are the VIN's I have listed as shipped to Oklahoma:

XX29   L   9B   405176
XX29   L   9B   409032
XX29   L   9B   409031
XX29   L   9B   390017
XX29   L   9B   409034
XX29   L   9B   410764
XX29   L   9B   400590
XX29   L   9B   355119
XX29   L   9B   355121

I'm also exploring a theory that the cars listed as being shipped directly to one of the Sales Shows were later sent to the original ordering dealer.  In some instances, the Sales Show was in a different state than the ordering dealer.  There's a good example of this with Oklahoma and Missouri.  One of the cars sent to the Sales Show in Kansas City appears to have been ordered by a dealership in OK.  That would add one more to the state total for OK, and reduce Missouri's total.  I haven't had time to really dig into this, but it is something I've observed and I think a connection exists.

Geno

69_500

Its a small world isn't it. We bring up one car, and in a few post someone knows the owner of the car. The internet is truly an amazing thing.

That and this forum, can't thank Troy enough for the wing car section.

Shakey

Quote from: hemigeno on April 25, 2006, 12:35:20 AM
Wingman, any details of the flood car would be great to have - including the VIN # if it's available.  Cool story!

BBD, the picture you posted is of Buddy Arrington's car.  That accident led to NASCAR's requirement for a cable running through the wing uprights and through the horizontal stabilizer to keep it from flying into the stands (you'll notice the airfoil is missing in the picture).  Doug Schellinger probably remembers which race it was that this happened at, but I've forgotten.  For whatever reason, I thought it was at Michigan.  CRS strikes again   :rotz:

Isn't that Lake Lloyd in the background? 

hemigeno

Quote from: Shakey on April 26, 2006, 12:44:07 PM

Isn't that Lake Lloyd in the background? 

I initially thought the same thing too when I saw the picture, but I didn't remember the crash that broke the wing off happening at Daytona.

Glad there are resources out there to look such things up quickly.  I scanned Buddy's 69 and 70 Grand National results, and found that he only crashed out in one race in 1969, and he wasn't driving a Daytona in that race nor was he in the #5 car.  In 1970 he only crashed out in one race also, the 1970 Daytona 500 when he went out on lap 77 - started 32nd and still finished 29th.

So, it looks like it was at Daytona after all, and you're right on the money about Lake Lloyd...

Geno

Ghoste

So if it's the Daytona 500, there must be video footage of that accident somewhere in the France family vault?

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on April 26, 2006, 02:14:54 PM
So if it's the Daytona 500, there must be video footage of that accident somewhere in the France family vault?

I think the France family vault is a deposits-only type vault...   :rotz:

A guy that lives in my hometown is real good friends with Cotton Owens, who still has a lot of old race footage.  I could ask him, but the chances of that accident being caught on tape might be fairly slim.

:Twocents:

Ghoste

Didn't one of the big networks used to always tape the 500 back then too?

hemigeno

Yep, that's the one.

I have that same #5 Daytona picture in an 8x10 that I purchased from the NASCAR archives a few years back.  Interesting writeup on Buddy from that site.  There's a guy I talked with a while back that works for Arrington Engines.  He said Buddy's health isn't so great and that he doesn't travel much these days.  Before hearing that, we were thinking of asking him to come out for the MonsterMoparWeekend show.  He's supposedly a really nice guy too.

Thanks for posting that link, BBD!

69_500

Gene I would say go ahead and invite him to the Monster Mopar. If he doesn't get out much, maybe the only reason is he isn't asked to. You never know until you ask. :)

johntpr

HemiGeno,

400590 is my green one.

nascarxx29

I can add that JohnTprs daytona was a few miles from me.It used to be Rons car in NJ .Ron got it from Kenneth in MN
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Quote from: nascarxx29 on April 28, 2006, 09:25:49 AM
I can add that JohnTprs daytona was a few miles from me.It used to be Rons car in NJ .Ron got it from Kenneth in MN

Ron just surfaced again and has bought a Talladega.