News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Neutral Safety Switch

Started by VegasCharger, August 22, 2015, 04:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

I believe that I might have a faulty neutral safety switch on my 68 Charger 383 Auto.

Car starts fine. One day I was messing around with the console shifter and wanted to check to see if the ignition would allow the car to crank over when not in park or neutral. For safety cautions, I disconnect the coil wire so that in the case if it did crank over the car wouldn't accidently start.

Well upon doing this test I found out that the ignition switch allows it to crank over in the reverse and drive gear selections. Good thing I disconnected the coil wire.

I was thinking of raising the rear end on jack stands and trying this test with the coil wire connected thus allowing it to start but have the drive wheels off the ground. But I'm thinking that might not be a wise thing to do.

Let's just say that you were unaware that your NSS is defective and you accidently bumped your key while the car is in gear. Would the car actually still start? And if it does will the trans go immediately into gear? A clunk sound?

By my first test above I've came to the conclusion that my NSS needs replaced or attention.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

nascarxx29

68 the safety switch has one wire.At trans other switch is reverse lights on shifter.Unless the circuit is bypassed it would start in any gear.But only should start in park and neutral .Bushing/ clips and linkage get out of adjustment.Causing a sometimes no start unless you move shifter around.Also check wire at switch that's bolted on and other end that slips on slanted terminal on starter relay  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54250.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

VegasCharger

Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 22, 2015, 08:30:47 AM

68 the safety switch has one wire.At trans other switch is reverse lights on shifter.Unless the circuit is bypassed it would start in any gear.But only should start in park and neutral .Bushing/ clips and linkage get out of adjustment.Causing a sometimes no start unless you move shifter around.Also check wire at switch that's bolted on and other end that slips on slanted terminal on starter relay  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54250.0.html

Thanks for the info I will check the brown wire that runs between the starter relay and trans NSS.

Just curious in this eBay listing is this the correct NSS for 1968 auto trans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-65-66-67-68-Dart-Fury-Charger-Neutral-Safety-Switch-1965-1966-1967-NEW-/171795336620?hash=item27ffcccdac&vxp=mtr

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: