News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter Panel Install Prep

Started by Kangerman, August 12, 2015, 07:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kangerman

I'm about to install a new AMD full quarter panel  on my 70 and was interested if anyone had any suggestions on what prep work I should do before installing it. I'm mostly interested if there's any sealer prep I should do to prevent water leaks later. The original quarter had what looked like underbody coating on the inner surface of the trunk area. There also appeared to be sealer installed along the inside of the door jamb close out panel in the area where the quarter glass mechanics are installed. From what I can tell, the original quarter was welded to the rocker panel and the door inner as a sub component, sealed along the joint on the inside, had the trunk area coating applied, and then set to the car at the factory. I'm basing this assumption on the fact that there would be no way to apply the sealer or some of the spot welds after the original quarter was set to the car.

I can't add the door jamb sealer prior to installation because it'll burn when I start MIGing the panel in and I wasn't even sure if anyone bothered to put the trunk coating in when doing a quarter panel replacement. Once the quarter panel is welded in, the whole area is boxed in so I figured I ask the experts before I started to see what other people have done. Basically, I wanted do it right the first time and avoid doing all this work and having the whole back seat area fill up with water the first time the car got wet if and when this ever gets finished. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

Donks01

I've installed AMD quarters on my 68. They both fit awesome. Before I removed the old quarter, I aligned the door and deck lid the best I could to the old quarter  for a reference point when installing the new one. Wherever welds need to be made for installing the new quarter, I cleaned to bare metal and sprayed a weld through copper primer. Pre drill all your spot weld holes on the new quarter. The quarter on the bottom does get welded to the rocker, and then factory used led to fill the gap. Same with the top of the quarter to the roof skin. Once you get everything in primer, then you can add seam sealer along all the edges to prevent corrosion.