News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can someone here educate me on smaller "Class C" ? Motorhomes ? Update !

Started by Daytona R/T SE, August 30, 2015, 11:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Can someone educate me on smaller "Class C"? Motorhomes ?  :shruggy:

Isn't there a member here that owns or works at an RV dealership ?

I'm just beginning the pondering stage of the purchase of a used, smaller sized -I think it's called a class "C"- motorhome.

The kind that's built on a van or pickup truck chassis.

The criteria:

There's just two of us.

It needs to have been built in the 21st century.

I need a nice place to eat, sleep, shit and shower.

I don't need tip outs, a hot tub, or a wading pool.

None of that excess junk to haul around.

It needs to be able to pull a car trailer, possibly a medium sized 24 foot ? enclosed car trailer.

No Chevies, period.

So, I'm looking for personal experience from the members here, websites to look at, Good dealerships to contact, crooked dealerships to avoid...

Lay it on me.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HPP

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 30, 2015, 11:04:26 AM

It needs to be able to pull a car trailer, possibly a medium sized 24 foot ? enclosed car trailer.

No Chevies, period.

This will be a tall order for a class C. Most can't pull more than 3500# tops. Taking chevy out of the equation leaves you with only fords, most of which are going to come with V10s on an E450 chassis. An E450 can carry around 20,000 which includes the fuel, coach, kitchen, bed, fresh water, grey water, black water, food, clothes, passengers, tools, etc. Every thing that you need to pull out of your driveway.

Depending on the make of your trailer, you are looking at 3-4k for just the trailer. Put your 3-4k# Charger in it and you are at 6-8#. More than most older class Cs will be able to safely handle. Now, since there are only 2 of you, you may be able to get a shorter 22-24' model and save yourself a lot of weight compared to a 28-31' and may be able to make it work.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: HPP on August 30, 2015, 03:32:43 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 30, 2015, 11:04:26 AM

No Chevies, period.

This will be a tall order for a class C. Most can't pull more than 3500# tops. Taking chevy out of the equation leaves you with only fords, most of which are going to come with V10s on an E450 chassis. An E450 can carry around 20,000 which includes the fuel, coach, kitchen, bed, fresh water, grey water, black water, food, clothes, passengers, tools, etc. Every thing that you need to pull out of your driveway.

Depending on the make of your trailer, you are looking at 3-4k for just the trailer. Put your 3-4k# Charger in it and you are at 6-8#. More than most older class Cs will be able to safely handle. Now, since there are only 2 of you, you may be able to get a shorter 22-24' model and save yourself a lot of weight compared to a 28-31' and may be able to make it work.

Good information, Thanks. :coolgleamA:  

The shorter version would be fine.

I definitely don't need the Ultimate Behemoth.

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

skip68

Trying to remember the member that owns an RV dealership.   :scratchchin:  I believe he's in Utah or Colorado.    :brickwall:
Give me time and I'll remember.   :cheers: 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

ACUDANUT

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: skip68 on August 30, 2015, 11:33:36 PM
Trying to remember the member that owns an RV dealership.   :scratchchin:  I believe he's in Utah or Colorado.    :brickwall:
Give me time and I'll remember.   :cheers: 

Standing by... :whistling:

wingcar

Here is a Forum that you might want to join as their members have a lot of good information to share about RV/Motorhomes.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=456c5968eb4e9629d0343b60fc2d4457&board=6.0

I own a 29' Winnebago Aspect mounted on the Ford E450 chassis with the V-10.  Been very happy with it, unfortunately I have never towed with it as I have no trailer as yet, but someday.....
I had an A-class gas motorhome, but the noise from the engine was so loud my wife and I could hardly talk.  Much happier with my C-class. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

skip68

Chargerboy69 owns an RV dealership.   He can probably help you out the most.     :scratchchin:  
Or cost you the most.    :rofl:    :cheers: 
This guy.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: wingcar on August 31, 2015, 08:24:38 AM
Here is a Forum that you might want to join as their members have a lot of good information to share about RV/Motorhomes.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=456c5968eb4e9629d0343b60fc2d4457&board=6.0

I own a 29' Winnebago Aspect mounted on the Ford E450 chassis with the V-10.  Been very happy with it, unfortunately I have never towed with it as I have no trailer as yet, but someday.....
I had an A-class gas motorhome, but the noise from the engine was so loud my wife and I could hardly talk.  Much happier with my C-class. 

Looks like a good website. :coolgleamA:

I've got some reading to do. :scratchchin:

Thanks  :2thumbs:

Oh, and hurry up and get a trailer to tow with that V 10 and let me know how it works out ! ;)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: skip68 on August 31, 2015, 09:27:57 AM
Chargerboy69 owns an RV dealership.   He can probably help you out the most.     :scratchchin:  
This guy.   

That's Him, Skip!

Thank you, sir !  :cheers:

I remember the "Dirty Sanchez" in his avatar thingie.

But, I just noticed he hasn't posted since March of 2014. :scratchchin:

What's up with that?  :shruggy:

Dino

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 31, 2015, 05:49:22 PM
Quote from: skip68 on August 31, 2015, 09:27:57 AM
This guy.   

That's Him, Skip!

Thank you, sir !  :cheers:

I remember the "Dirty Sanchez" in his avatar thingie.

But, I just noticed he hasn't posted since March of 2014. :scratchchin:

What's up with that?  :shruggy:

He sold his Charger back then and hasn't been back.  I thought he was in Ohio.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bandit72

I know very little about them, but we did borrow my wifes aunts 30' Ford with the V-10 for a weekend last summer and all I know is I would NOT want to pull more than a small trailer with maybe a motorcycle on it, not in any kind of traffic or through any hills anyways. Now that being said, I think hers is a 2010 and has almost everything somebody could want/need with the exception of a freakin swimming pool  ::)
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

HPP

Yea, towing is the big variable which is why I mentioned it earlier. The more doo-dads a coach comes with, the less weight it can pull. Now, there is this thing called  "Trailer Toad" which will carry 100% of the tongue weight, but does not increase your overall capacity. It does save some abuse on the frame of your tow vehicle though.

I have a 2001 31' Coachman on an E450 chassis with a V10. No slides at all, just a basic box, but it does have roof a/c, a slide out tool box and all sort of basement storage along with a queen bedroom, queen cab over, and a fold down couch and dining table. Once I have it all loaded for camping, I've got barely enough gvwr for pulling our 18' boat on a single axle trailer. Pulling a level ground isn't eventful at all, but climbing grades turns me into a rolling roadblock. But I also live at 6000' and what might be a hill out here, could be a mountain somewhere else.

You definitely want to get detailed information beyond the salesman pitch that the coach can do that. That might include some conversations with the manufacturer once you dial into a couple of possible coaches you are considering. Not sure if capacity would change with diesels vs gas, or if later models might have stepped up gvwr capability over my earlier model, but it certainly bears asking.

ACUDANUT

I had a 29' 1997 Ford Class C Motorhome with a 460 gas engine.  It pulled my HEAVY 3 Horse Trailer with horses with no problem.  I could not use overdrive all the time but it Hauled.  I owned it for about 10 years.  :cheers:

Daytona R/T SE

After an off and on almost two year search for an RV :eek2:

We bought one about three weeks ago. :coolgleamA:

It's a 2011 Coachmen Freelander with 8700 miles on it.  ;)

Bob

Happy Travels!!!
Scheduled maintenance, proper winterization and she'll last a long time.

Bob

alfaitalia

Bit personal isn't it?........oh...hang on....I see! Carry on......
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Bob on June 17, 2017, 05:35:18 AM
Happy Travels!!!
Scheduled maintenance, proper winterization and she'll last a long time.

Bob

:cheers:

It's in good shape, I should just have to maintain it as you say.

We bought it from the original owners.

I think it's been out of Illinois...once. ;)

That will change. :coolgleamA:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 17, 2017, 09:08:06 AM
Cool. How long/big is it ?

The whole thing bumper to bumper is 23 1/2 feet long.

Just right for me and the Ol' lady  ;)

I couldn't go much bigger, I only had so much paved area where I could park an RV.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 17, 2017, 04:03:44 PM

I couldn't go much bigger, I only had so much paved area where I could park an RV.

Are you planning to tow a small car behind you to explore the surrounding areas in & leave the camper at the RV campground?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 18, 2017, 05:06:28 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 17, 2017, 04:03:44 PM

Are you planning to tow a small car behind you to explore the surrounding areas in & leave the camper at the RV campground?

That is a possibility.

But, I'm considering buying a small enclosed trailer so I can take my Harley with us, and we can cruise around on that. :coolgleamA:

Mytur Binsdirti

Good for you. In a few years, I'm hoping that I can get away with the wife & travel the country in an RV, but I think I'd want one with just a bit more room. Go out for a couple of months & come back, then do it again, and again, then when we've seen everything we want, sell the RV. Buying a slightly used one like you did is the way to go. Let someone else take the biggest chunk of depreciation.
:2thumbs:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 19, 2017, 06:45:19 AM
Good for you. In a few years, I'm hoping that I can get away with the wife & travel the country in an RV, but I think I'd want one with just a bit more room. Go out for a couple of months & come back, then do it again, and again, then when we've seen everything we want, sell the RV. Buying a slightly used one like you did is the way to go. Let someone else take the biggest chunk of depreciation.
:2thumbs:

In our search, we ran across several 5-10 year old Class "A" motorhomes (the big ones) that seemed too cheap to believe.

I was limited by the paved area I have to park it, so a Class A was out for us.

Unless of course I wanted to buy the vacant lot down the street, put in a culvert, pour a concrete pad and have an electric service put in...see how it can snowball ? :eek2:

Good luck in your search, and start looking early. ;)