News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If you could take one item to Antiques Roadshow, what would it be?...

Started by Chad L. Magee, June 02, 2017, 03:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad L. Magee

If you were given the chance to do so, what would you take?  Please detail the story behind what you have....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

ACUDANUT

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 02, 2017, 03:29:28 PM
  Any car that would make it there. :Twocents:

Good one, you got me on that!  They will be having a show over in St. Louis later this month BTW....

Alaskan_TA

A porthole salvaged decades ago from the wreck of the Princess Sophia.

Details on her wreck at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Princess_Sophia

Daytona R/T SE

I have an old violin.

It's probably only good for firewood.

But it does say "Antonius Stradivarius Faciabat ano 1734" on a label on the inside. :shruggy:

r4daytona

I would take this old painting we got out of a dead relatives house when I was a kid and my dad had to go sort the house out.  I've been told by an art gallery that its from about 1830-40  they estimated a value of at $4000.  That was 20 years ago.  I may take it now to have it restored.

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 02, 2017, 11:45:11 PM
I have an old violin.

It's probably only good for firewood.

But it does say "Antonius Stradivarius Faciabat ano 1734" on a label on the inside. :shruggy:
I have seen that even some of the "repro's" of those have a value...

Old Moparz

I'd bring the armoire that my Great Grandfather garbage picked in NYC in the 1940's.....It's been in the family ever since & now an heirloom.  :smilielol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Chad L. Magee

I can't say much about what I might take other than it potentially is from the Quanlong period (1735-1795) in the Qing dynasty of China per the zhuanshu marks on the bottom.  Two of my friends that have experience evaluating items in that area think that it is likely genuine.  I just need to find the right person here in Denver to critically authenticate it... 

RiverRaider

I have a fully documented part of the armor deck of the Battleship Tirpitz.
It would be interesting to know its value.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

cooldude

I think I could have gone all day and not seen that one coming.  ;)

But how? There has to be a good story with this one!  :popcrn:

Mytur Binsdirti

If I could take one item to Antiques Roadshow, what would it be?

My father-in-law, but only if I could heave him there.

RCCDrew

I have a ships bell and steering wheel from a WW2 era landing craft. I don't know if it's worth anything.

RiverRaider

Quote from: cooldude on June 20, 2017, 08:07:25 PM

I build large 1/72 scale (6'-10') r/c combat warships that fight by shooting ball bearings and in the past I have traveled 1000's a miles a year fighting these ships.
And during one of my travels I found out about this item and eventually acquired it.
It is an 80MM piece of the deck surrounding gun tower A ( Anton) of the battleship Tirpitz.  My understanding is that it is the top armor deck designed
to set off shells so that they would explode between it and the main armor deck below. It has complete documentation in Norwegian including metallurgical analysis
and rights of removal. The later German metallurgical analysis is something the previous owner had performed to verify that it was authentic.
I know of only one other person that has another one and has had it for many more years that I have had mine. He actually got his when they were first offered.
This is what he wrote...       "I believe that some legality prevented them from continuing to sell them as it was supposed to be a run of 300 pieces. I have # 3 of 300." 
He said the sale of them ended shortly after he received his.  I have number 5 and have never heard of any more. 
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

cooldude

Quote from: RiverRaider on June 21, 2017, 10:57:29 PM
Quote from: cooldude on June 20, 2017, 08:07:25 PM

I build large 1/72 scale (6'-10') r/c combat warships that fight by shooting ball bearings and in the past I have traveled 1000's a miles a year fighting these ships.
And during one of my travels I found out about this item and eventually acquired it.
It is an 80MM piece of the deck surrounding gun tower A ( Anton) of the battleship Tirpitz.  My understanding is that it is the top armor deck designed
to set off shells so that they would explode between it and the main armor deck below. It has complete documentation in Norwegian including metallurgical analysis
and rights of removal. The later German metallurgical analysis is something the previous owner had performed to verify that it was authentic.
I know of only one other person that has another one and has had it for many more years that I have had mine. He actually got his when they were first offered.
This is what he wrote...       "I believe that some legality prevented them from continuing to sell them as it was supposed to be a run of 300 pieces. I have # 3 of 300." 
He said the sale of them ended shortly after he received his.  I have number 5 and have never heard of any more. 

Now that is a pretty cool thing indeed. I find that story was so good and interesting, that I will have to repeat it many times,as it is well worth the hearing. Thanks for brightening up my day an interesting think.

DeltaV

My 1946 Philco console radio. AM/FM/SW on one side and a 78 rpm turntable with record changer on the other side.

Vacuum tubes of course. Real radios glow in the dark.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel