News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Three dead gauges, FUEL TEMP OIL

Started by rikubot, September 04, 2015, 06:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

I'll bolt that wire to the body today. I still need to solder my pins to the board as well. I did have a nice surprise last night. I got bored and went to go start up my car, so of course I started playing with switches. I noticed a tiny little glow on my gauges when I put the headlights on. So I started messing with the dimmer. Low and behold, I have backlights to all six of my gauges! I about had a heart attack. I've never seen real Charger gauges lit up, and although it was pretty dim, it looked so cool! I did find a sweet spot toward the top of the dim setting where they are bright enough to read with ease. My dimmer switch is dodgy as it gets but I'm just happy it sorta works, and now I can see my dead gauges at night haha.  :coolgleamA:

I'll go tie up that ground right now...
'69 Charger, 440/727

Dino

Some leds in that cluster will really give you a heart attack!   :lol:

I'm not a big fan of leds but in the dash they are right at home.  Just leave the turn signal indicators and high beam indicator stock, they don't need leds.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68charger440

I will give a third nod to make sure that the cluster is grounded.  I have seen that cause similar problems before even though you would swear it was grounded.  The aligator clips on a wire to both the cluster and a ground is sure a quick and easy test just to be sure.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

rikubot

Quote from: Dino on September 11, 2015, 02:03:09 PM
Some leds in that cluster will really give you a heart attack!   :lol:

I'm not a big fan of leds but in the dash they are right at home.  Just leave the turn signal indicators and high beam indicator stock, they don't need leds.

I REALLY want to do LEDs on the backlighting. I saw a post on here where someone did theirs and it was more blueish and looked great. I thought I faved the page but I must not have. What about the brake warning light? It seems bright enough already. Also, what kind of LEDs did you use, and do I need to do anything else to my electrical system or just plug them in?
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: 68charger440 on September 11, 2015, 03:03:31 PM
I will give a third nod to make sure that the cluster is grounded.  I have seen that cause similar problems before even though you would swear it was grounded.  The aligator clips on a wire to both the cluster and a ground is sure a quick and easy test just to be sure.

Will do my friend. This is the ONLY thing left to do so it HAS to work!
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Here's a strange happening: I bolted that ground to the trunk floor, replaced some taillight bulbs, and now I don't have ignition? Started up just great last night...?
'69 Charger, 440/727

68charger440

Quote from: rikubot on September 11, 2015, 04:09:05 PM
Here's a strange happening: I bolted that ground to the trunk floor, replaced some taillight bulbs, and now I don't have ignition? Started up just great last night...?
These electrical systems were weak when they were brand new, add 45 plus years and new power sucking gadgets to the mix and nightmares happen.  Do you have a copy of the wiring schematic?  If not you need to get one.  Search on line and you can find them.  What do you mean you don't have ignition?  Does it turn but not start, or do you have nothing at all?  Might be time to break out the multimeter.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

rikubot

It turned out to be a tired positive battery cable...again. I've had troubles with it before that I thought I fixed but it just needs to be replaced. Yes sir thanks for the tip. I do have most of the wiring schematics on my computer. They are my Bible for the time being. I have noticed a few inconsistencies in a couple of them but for the most part they are a Godsend. I would just get a little "click" sound. I messed with a few things and now she starts up. I definitely need new cables in the near future.

I do have a little good news. My dome light is working now, and the dimmer will even activate it! My car fixes itself! Christine, anyone?  :2thumbs:
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I have a little update:

I grounded out the corner of the bezel that had no tab to bolt to and still nada. I did finally get most of my interior lights working, though. I strung up a map harness based off of some pictures and got my key light and time relay to work. Still, the map light didn't work. Not sure why, I built up my harness just like in the pictures and tied it into the fuse box. Maybe a bad wire? The bulb is good  :shruggy:  

I did take her for a cruise the other night and the headlamps and interior lights did great. The dome light popped on once because I have my dimmer all the way to the top to make the lights brighter and it must have just made contact to turn on. I've just about got my wiring figured out. Just need to figure out gauges, wiper motor, map light, washer squirter. You guys have been such a tremendous help!  :notworthy:

Edit: The air and heating lights also do not work when I plug the wire into the three prong plug coming off the main harness...
'69 Charger, 440/727