News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona, Charger 500 Decklid

Started by Howie, April 04, 2006, 02:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie

I see various parts being created which is great. However is anyone building a decklid?
                                                                                                                            Howie

hemigeno

Quote from: Howie on April 04, 2006, 02:08:09 PM
I see various parts being created which is great. However is anyone building a decklid?
                                                                                                                            Howie

Most of the decklids "built" are done pretty much the same way that Creative did them back in the day.  To do that, a regular Charger's decklid is shortened and a stamped reinforcing plate/closure is welded near the front (I'm calling the edge nearest the hinges the "front" :icon_smile_big: ).

Gene Gregory and some others are doing these conversions, last I heard it was near $1,000 for a decklid.  I don't know if that includes the donor decklid and/or the reinforcing plate though.  Some other guys might know the rest of the particulars on this, and the names of any other sources for the parts or the conversion work itself.

:Twocents:

hotrod98

Gean Gregory said that he will convert your decklid for $1000 including the reinforcement piece plus shipping or sell you the reinforcment piece for $200 plus shipping so that you can attempt it yourself. If you want a nice deck lid and you're not really into sheet metal work, I would say that the $800 worth of experience and labor would be worth it. At $200 or more for nice rust free deck lids, you wouldn't have to screw up very many of them before you're out the $800 anyway.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Ghoste

At first I was thinking that 1000 was pretty steep until I read what you said about not having to screw many up up to hit the 800 mark.  You're right hotrod98, the 1000 starts looking like a good deal then.  No sense quibbling about a couple hundred dollars for a car worth a couple hundred thousand.

chargervert

Mike at Dayclona will convert decklids for people,I do not know his current pricing for converting them. You can contact Mike @ www.dayclona.com. I believe that Mike only converts lids for people who are using original or repro type window plugs,and not for the Vega hatch plug conversions. Good luck with your projects.