News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with no start on 73

Started by Alan73Charger, September 19, 2015, 04:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

Hopefully someone can help!!  My 73 ran fine, should of just left it alone.  I put new plugs in it, same type that came out.  Champion rn14yc.  My neighbor is suggesting I pull them out and go with some NGK plugs, but surely these would start the car.  They all appear to be snug and wires attached.  I didn't change the wires.  Could use some better ones.  7mm Belden Edge premium.  What 8mm wires would you guys suggest?

The only other things I've done that might effect the car starting is with the battery.  I put in a new green top 24 series restoration battery and replaced just the terminal on the positive cable.  I took the negative cable off long enough to re-tape the ground wire that goes from the aux lead to the body.  I bolted the one end back to the block and the ground back to the body and tightened it down on the new battery. 

I will admit to giving the car gas when trying to start it.  I drove a 67 Coronet for years so will need to get used to the electronic ignition.  You can smell gas strong and when I pull a plug out the gas smell is strong on the tip.  Could I just have severely flooded it to the point it won't start??

I've attached a link to a video so you can hear it trying.  Any help getting it running would be greatly appreciated!!

https://youtu.be/8Nw5mAavQY8
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

polywideblock

car was running before you "fixed "it   :scratchchin:

no spark means no power

the only wire you "fixed " was the earth, recheck it with a multimeter or test light and see if you've broken the wires inside while retaping it

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Alan73Charger

Quote from: polywideblock on September 19, 2015, 06:51:43 PM
car was running before you "fixed "it   :scratchchin:

no spark means no power

the only wire you "fixed " was the earth, recheck it with a multimeter or test light and see if you've broken the wires inside while retaping it

Hello polywideblock  -  well I really wasn't "fixing" anything.  I just got my 73 so was doing all those things you do when you get a new car.  Fresh oil and filter, plugs if they look bad like these did, and other odds and ends.  I put a new battery in the car, the 24 series green cap.  There was a ground wire running from the frame just in front of the battery up to and crimped to the aux lead of the negative cable.  It shared a ground with a couple other wires.  I've sent a picture of it.  This wire coming up had some bare areas as the cover was dried out and falling off so I wrapped it in some electrical tape.  I have a millimeter and a test light.  Could you explain how to see if this ground is still working??   I do have a new negative cable coming from rosevillemoparts that has the correct wire that goes all the way down to that ground so I'll probably be ditching this existing cable anyway.  Thanks for the help!!

polywideblock

hi wasn't bagging you or anything ,its just the only thing you "fixed" so that would be where I'd start looking .

I'm as lost with electrics as most people   :shruggy: but i'll give it a go

with test light hook one end to positive  on battery and other to the end  your "fixed " ground wire,  if light comes on when you've completed the circuit its not that .

could quit possibly be your ignition switch , with ignition on  check for voltage at ballast resister .  this article by R Ehrenberg is the best I've read  :yesnod:

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/roadside.html

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Alan73Charger

Quote from: polywideblock on September 21, 2015, 02:32:45 AM
hi wasn't bagging you or anything ,its just the only thing you "fixed" so that would be where I'd start looking .

I'm as lost with electrics as most people   :shruggy: but i'll give it a go

with test light hook one end to positive  on battery and other to the end  your "fixed " ground wire,  if light comes on when you've completed the circuit its not that .

could quit possibly be your ignition switch , with ignition on  check for voltage at ballast resister .  this article by R Ehrenberg is the best I've read  :yesnod:

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/roadside.html

Great article.  Bookmarked that one!  Thanks for the help.