News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Optima Batteries + Battery Tender Plus:

Started by Captain D, September 21, 2015, 08:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

Did a quick search, but didn't see anything in particular that addressed this question specifically. I have a new red-top Optima battery - I love it and the start-up / CCA quality is absolutely amazing, but I was just curious to see if I can maintain this battery using my Deltran Battery Tender Plus unit. The consensus is that it should be fine, especially with the label on the back that states, "Correctly Charges and Maintains all Flooded, AGM, Gel, and sealed maintenance-free batteries." However, I was just curious to see if anyone happened to have any negative experiences. During the winter, of course, I bring my batteries indoors and use the tender. With having two months of the season yet to go, I may just keep the battery installed in the car and hook the tender up simultaneously to maintain a steady charge. Any concerns with this, as well by chance?

Anyhow, thank you for any and all input.
Best regards,
Aaron.

MoparRocks

I've been using a regular Battery Tender on the Optima Yellow top in my Wrangler for years. Never had an issue with it.
1971 Charger Richard Petty tribute
Mopar 340 three on the tree

8WHEELER

Nothing wrong with the battery tender. I have three cars with red cap battery's hooked up right now, and have for over four years. One
of the battery's is eight years old............. yes hard to believe, and that car has 12.5 to 1 comp.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

John_Kunkel

Think about it, the vehicle's charging system has no special provisions for the AGM battery like the Optima so an external charger shouldn't need it either.

The higher end battery chargers and tenders do have selectable charging modes for wet, AGM and gel so I prefer them.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Captain D

Thank you gents for the replies,

Good to know that all is well and this information gives that sense for peace of mind so as not to damage the new, and expensive, battery,  ;).

Thank you again for the replies and best regards,
Aaron