News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Protouring Daytona Clone Build by Holohan's hot rod shop Moorsville NC

Started by unrulyprocuda, September 28, 2015, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unrulyprocuda

Well I have posted many pics of my Daytona clone over the years because i have had it for quite a long time.I started with a 68 charger that i wanted built and was devastated when my painter refused to paint it and put his name on all of the shoddy body work that was done on the car when i bought it. So I moved on and donated it the the Ronnie's Charger make a wish project it later became the Blue 1969 charger that was given to her Family. after donating the car i searched for a nice 68 charger that was not a fortune to add all the parts i had collected over the years then i came across a rust free 1970 base 318 charger so i bought it with hopes of building a clone Daytona and wow its been difficult researching what you need to buy and not to buy i often joked with guys on this site about making a guide book of parts and procedures on building a Daytona or Superbird which would be very helpful for people that want to build one but have no clue what it takes. Luckily for me two of my friends are some of the Best restorers of SuperBirds and Daytona's in the country so it Didn't take long to collect the parts needed to perform the task I even had great examples of real cars at my disposal. The problem was they were both too busy to perform the work so it sat idle for quite a while while collecting parts and deciding what to do with it. Then i had a dream or epiphany that it needed to be a pro touring Daytona low to the ground with big meats and a savage motor and super clean interior .I had a local builder start on it and before long it sat idle again with almost no progress being made. We made a mutual agreement to part ways and there the car sat once again we are talking almost ten years at this point i then started looking at professional build shops that could make my dream a reality.When it comes to Mopars  i have built some very cool cars over the years and i could have built this one but what i want is beyond most people's capability including mine. So i set out to find an awesome builder i looked and talked to several well known  shops in the mid west and finally narrowed it down to six shops that i thought would do quality work.
The super rod shop was one its  the guy who built the Green slam charger after talking with him on the phone I was not impressed by his knowledge of Mopar's in general His cars were cool looking but i thought the fabrication was shoddy something that i could probably do in my own shop .
The Roadster shop built awesome cars but was too expensive and wanted to quickly build the car.
Detroit speed and engineering was also very expensive per hour and also wanted to crank the project out quickly.
Greening automotive in Nashville builds some fine automobiles and was very easy to talk to and had knowledge in all makes and models he was in the process of building a sweet 69 valiant with a 392 fuel injected Hemi.
Goolsby custom cars was also in the running affordable and builds quality cars and was very eager to Do a mopar
And last but not least Holohans hot rod shop i had seen Dan Holohans work for years it just never really had his name attached to some of the cars i had seen . I had ran across his name one day looking on lateral g forums a pro touring car website and clicked on a project he was building the metal work was incredible and attention to detail perfect i later found out he had left his former employer for a job at Detroit speed and when that didn't work out he opened his own shop in Moorsville NC Home of nascar shops galore. Oh remember i had seen his name before somewhere and heard it many times before his former boss was none other than Troy Trepanier of rad rides by Troy and Dan was very instrumental in many high profile builds doing most if not all the metal work this includes the 1970 Cuda build for Joe Rogan or ( Sickfish) build as most of you know it. After talking to Dan two or three times we clicked he is a Great person and Fabrication skills are some of the best you will ever see so i chose his shop to perform the work on my dream Mopar My Daytona so we set down made a plan a 5 year build is where we set it then decided on an approximate budget. here is a photo album link to his shop and his work keep in mind the car is not for purists out there but this was my dream of how it needs to be built and that's what he is doing for Me hope you liked my story and Daytona Build its going to be Epic he is 1.5 years into it stay tuned for more progress . Facebook Bobs Daytona at  Holohans Hot rod shop
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.761440907243157.1073741835.101250329928888&type=3  :popcrn:

Troy

Sounds really cool! My Facebook appears to be down at the moment so I'll have to look at the pictures later.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Stevearino

Looks like a very bad ass Charger Daytona on the way. If the rest of the car comes out as good as his metal work you will have one top notch piece. :yesnod: :yesnod: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

unrulyprocuda

Thanks Stevarino i have been following yours as well Solid quality work and a lot of work a friend just done a 1964 ford ranch wagon that way he started with a 10,000 mile 98 mercury marauder and grafted the wagon on top its unreal all the little things he had to modify to make it fit. so i know first hand what your going thru.

Stevearino

Thanks for the compliment. I gotta say the way he is metal finishing all the welds is beyond what most would do. Not afraid to show the finish work in stark detail. He is also very careful not to distort the metal. Not easy to do.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

unrulyprocuda

unrulyprocuda

unrulyprocuda

unrulyprocuda

Some more pics of the Daytona Build. Dan Holohan Tig welds every weld then finishes it to perfection so there will be very Minimal body work needed in the final finish.  :popcrn:

unrulyprocuda

Pics of the quarter panel finished out. Next pics building a frame rack slash jig so the ride height is established and the car does not move while many other tasks are done

Highbanked Hauler

69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

unrulyprocuda

Its now on the frame rack the tires were purchased to get the stance and ride height just perfect. There will be a whole new frame and floor in this car so the next pics are getting rid of the floor and jigging in the new front end no more K frame this is the third variation of front end i originally used stock K frame and had it built to use with air ride. Then sold it and went with RMS system after discussing it in length about how modified it would have to be i sold it as well and Dan opted for a detroit speed Muscle car Front suspension set up and full frame.

unrulyprocuda

Cutting out the floor and Mocking up the new front suspension. Dan cut out the floor and rear sub frame that i had another shop do it was not right so it had to go.

unrulyprocuda

The Power Plant  500 cubic inch Stroker motor built by Hensley racing Backed up by a Keisler 6 speed automatic overdrive transmission and Paddle shift the motor will now be equipped with Fuel injection and custom made intake and exhaust with twin  Nelson 72mm mirror image Turbo's.

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

WHITE AND RED 69

Holy guacamole that is sweet!!!   :drool5:

What size wheels are you going with?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

unrulyprocuda

The sizes will be 19x12 front  20X16 rear you can see the mickey thompson tires in the back ground of the side shot of the car on the rack. i have a few wheels in mind although not for most of the old timers on here. :popcrn:

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

unrulyprocuda

Dan is cutting the sheet metal and Jigging up the front end then cutting out the rest of the frame and sheetmetal

unrulyprocuda

Cutting out all the sheet metal in floor and frame to make way for a new custom made frame including cutting out previously done work. :popcrn:

unrulyprocuda

Last Pictures for a bit until more are available Pictures show Dan cutting off previously done passenger quarter panel and then adding rust preventive coating to the underneath side and where the window regulator attaches
the next picture Dan has added weld or metal to the Bottom of the wing pedestal this is a Cast Dane version of the Daytona wing which is a quality product already. Dan Holohan Had decided to add material to make it look more finished out and a little wider 

unrulyprocuda

Last pictures shows Dan Mocking up the rear end at ride Height and what the massive Meats will look like uner the car they are 20x16 mickey Thompson rear tires
next picture shows my rendering Paint color chosen is new Chrysler Patriot Blue with black stripe and black interior.

Stay tuned Dan Holohan has some cool tricks up his sleeve including making a Nose cone from aluminum sheet cant wait to share Those pictures.  :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

please if you want to follow the build directly like Holohans hot rod shop and follow Bobs Daytona and show him how much Mopars and Daytona's are loved He as a shop full of Chevy's and Fords and my Daytona is the lone wolf.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: unrulyprocuda on October 01, 2015, 05:03:13 PM
The sizes will be 19x12 front  20X16 rear you can see the mickey thompson tires in the back ground of the side shot of the car on the rack. i have a few wheels in mind although not for most of the old timers on here. :popcrn:

20x16!  :o  That is some serious tire. I like the wheel choice too.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster