News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Average battery life

Started by RECHRGD, September 30, 2015, 05:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I have always replaced batteries at the first sign of weakness.  Usually that occurs at or around the five or six year mark, as I recall.  My '04 Ram 2500 Cummins batteries are still going strong.  I bought the truck new and the batteries (2) still show a green glowing indicator light.  I've never used a battery tender and it can sit for weeks without being driven.  I'm not complaining, as it's about three bills to replace them.  Eleven years is just unreal.  Have I been blessed by the battery fairy or what?
13.53 @ 105.32

A383Wing

that "green light" is only testing one cell, not the entire battery....average life is 5-7 years, yet I'm still running an Interstate battery in my black 66 from 12 years ago.....

your results may vary

cdr

as said 5-7 years seems to be my experience, i am down in the south, extreme temps hot. or cold affect battery life, my prediction is your truck wont start next week.  :) 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lukedukem

Quote from: RECHRGD on September 30, 2015, 05:54:39 PM
I have always replaced batteries at the first sign of weakness.  Usually that occurs at or around the five or six year mark, as I recall.  My '04 Ram 2500 Cummins batteries are still going strong.  I bought the truck new and the batteries (2) still show a green glowing indicator light.  I've never used a battery tender and it can sit for weeks without being driven.  I'm not complaining, as it's about three bills to replace them.  Eleven years is just unreal.  Have I been blessed by the battery fairy or what?

Yes you are blessed. I just replaced my second set of batteries on my 2006 cummins. First two sets where mopar. I now run duralast gold. I change them in pairs too. These diesels hate it when one goes bad. And I wouldn't trust the other one once the first goes. I just do both.
and my wife's Tahoe we bought brand new in 2012, it has 45k on it and the battery took a dump already
Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Pete in NH

The original dual batteries in my 99 Dodge Cummins lasted 12 years. I suspect it had something to do with the high starting currents required by the starter being shared by two batteries. If you look at the grid construction of battery plates high current surges eventually loosen the plate material out of the grid structure causing the battery to fail. Cutting those current demands in half must really help the battery life.

ODZKing

We purchased an 03 stratus R/T new. Last year (in 2015) the battery went as we had a particularly cold winter here. I recall my wife saying, "we have to replace the battery, really??"
I didn't remember if we'd ever replaced the battery but she writes all that stuff down in a ledger of sorts and couldn't find anything.
When I removed it, I found it was the original Mitsu battery that came with the car. 12 years ... frankly I was impressed.  :o

Brock Lee

Quote from: A383Wing on September 30, 2015, 07:15:10 PM
that "green light" is only testing one cell, not the entire battery....average life is 5-7 years, yet I'm still running an Interstate battery in my black 66 from 12 years ago.....

your results may vary

Parts store batteries last about 2-3 years for me. I just had an Interstate go bad on me. That one was in my car 9 years. I am sticking with Interstate.

myk

I swear by Sear's Diehard series.  My typical experience by their batteries is 5-7 years.  I've seen other parts store batteries go out as soon as 3 to 4 years...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

John_Kunkel

I have a 500 amp carbon-pile battery tester, when the needle comes close to the red zone I replace the battery regardless of how it's performing. Never got more than 5 years from one and I usually buy Interstate.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: myk on October 01, 2015, 04:35:41 PM
I swear by Sear's Diehard series.  My typical experience by their batteries is 5-7 years.  I've seen other parts store batteries go out as soon as 3 to 4 years...
Same here.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

LaOtto70Charger

Seems like the best batteries ever than were what Dodge was using in 2003/2004.  My 2003 Dakota that I bought new still has it's original battery.  Daily driven with a 155,000 miles and no issues yet.  Our 2005 Chrysler T&C we bought 4 yrs ago had a replacement battery when we bought it and already killed another.  My Charger seems to get the 5-6 range with limited driving and no battery tender.

myk

12 years on a battery?  That's impressive but risky.  Like tires, I replace after 4 or 5 years just in case...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

c00nhunterjoe

I have an exide gel cell in the 69. Its from 2006

LaOtto70Charger

Far this risky now than when I started driving in 92. I always have a cell phone and in this section of indiana almost always have a signal. Plus Walmarts are 24 7. A battery suddenly dieing no big deal.  Feel almost like Kramer seeing just far the tank can go.

A383Wing

Quote from: myk on October 02, 2015, 12:14:15 PM
12 years on a battery?  That's impressive but risky.  Like tires, I replace after 4 or 5 years just in case...

you must have more money than you know what to do with I guess

myk

Quote from: A383Wing on October 02, 2015, 09:10:40 PM
Quote from: myk on October 02, 2015, 12:14:15 PM

you must have more money than you know what to do with I guess

After four, maybe five years my tires begin to develop cracks in their sidewalls; that's grounds for immediate replacement IMO, especially when you consider that all of my vehicles are daily-driver status...

A383Wing

tires I can understand....but not batteries getting replaced every 4 years just because...

I had 1/4" cracks in the sidewalls of my black car years ago, the tires still had the little nubbin tit's on the tread....reason for the cracks was car sat outside in the sun 365 days a year back then....I dont think the tires had 600 milers on them at that time, and they were junk

myk

Quote from: A383Wing on October 02, 2015, 11:39:02 PM
tires I can understand....but not batteries getting replaced every 4 years just because...

I had 1/4" cracks in the sidewalls of my black car years ago, the tires still had the little nubbin tit's on the tread....reason for the cracks was car sat outside in the sun 365 days a year back then....I dont think the tires had 600 milers on them at that time, and they were junk

That's the stupid thing about my tire purchases-they always get sun-rotted before I even start to burn through the thread.  None of my cars get driven that much.  I'm grateful for that, but still...

A383Wing

then I would suggest you cover up the tires in order to save yourself some money....but like I posted before, you don't listen to what I say anyway....  :nana: