News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Stereo system in 1968 - Cuts out as voltage surges

Started by krigel, September 30, 2015, 08:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krigel

Hi there. I just had a new stereo system installed in my 68. Every now and then the voltage gauge will start to blip up and and down, hitting +20, and then it kills the power to the amp. Most of the time, the alternator gauge stays constant, but it's just every now and then. Would a new voltage regualtor fix this? Is it the alternator? Any help would be appreciated.

PlainfieldCharger

I would check your grounds to the amp if this just started happening. You might also have to add an additional ground wire from the voltage reg. I would also look at the power requirments of the amp and see if your alt has enough power to operate your amp.... :Twocents:

Quick test would be to run a temp ground wire to the battery negative. How does the amp meter react now? :Twocents:

Pete in NH

Hi,

Do you have a separate voltmeter in the car or is the +20 realty + 20 amps shown on the original ammeter?

Voltage surges are commonly caused by poor grounds on the voltage regulator, intermittent bulk head connector pins or it could be a failing voltage regulator. These are some common causes but, in a 40 + year old system you never know what you're going to find.

krigel

krigel

It's the original gauge in the car. Most of the time it holds steady just above center, unless you have the lights on. Every now and then it holds just below 20, and then every now and then it bounces all over the place from 10-20. That's when the amp cuts out.

Thoughts?

Pete in NH

Quote from: krigel on October 01, 2015, 07:43:43 AM
It's the original gauge in the car. Most of the time it holds steady just above center, unless you have the lights on. Every now and then it holds just below 20, and then every now and then it bounces all over the place from 10-20. That's when the amp cuts out.

Thoughts?

I would start with the things I mentioned in my first post. Sounds like something is intermittent. Make sure the voltage regulator mounting screws are tight and the mounting surfaces on the firewall and regulator are free of rust and paint.

krigel

It was the voltage reg. Quick change, all good. Thanks!

krigel

Problem is back. To start from the beginning, I've put a new stereo in the car with blue tooth. The blue tooth works with accessory turned on, but then as soon as you start the car, it's all static and interference. Also, the amp on the stereo cuts out intermittently (more than likely a voltage surge). The ammeter gauge most of the time holds just above center, but once in a while it starts to flicker and bounce.

What I have done: Replaced the regulator (flaked off the paint behind it, and made sure it had good contact with the firewall), put a new ground strap from the passenger head to the firewall, put a new connector on the field connector on the alternator as the jacked was cracked. Found that the connector bolt for the field on the alternator was loose, so I tightened it up. Put on two new alternator/water pump belts to make sure there was no slippage. I had the charging system tested and it's charging at 15.5 volts.

Questions:

1. Is there a ground strap from the K member to the block? My car doesn't have one. If there is, can anyone post pics? Would that make a difference?
2. My thoughts are that I have fried this voltage regulator as well, and need to replace the alternator and reg. Does this sound right?

I love the electrical gremlins.

Cheers,

KR