News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Coil Cooking

Started by Ghoste, October 11, 2015, 02:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

What would be the usual cause of a car destroying ignition coils in short order?  No oil leakage and all else appears stock.  Can a ballast value wander from stock and function normally except for delivering high voltage to the coil?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Ghoste on October 11, 2015, 02:48:21 PM
What would be the usual cause of a car destroying ignition coils in short order? 
Cheaply made coils. Coils with oil should be mounted upright. I have a coil with epoxy MSD 8222, never had a problem.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

A383Wing

crappy ballast resistors also

Ghoste

The one that just crapped is epoxy sealed.  Therein lies the head scratching.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Ghoste on October 11, 2015, 07:22:40 PM
The one that just crapped is epoxy sealed.  Therein lies the head scratching.
:shruggy:  Once you figure what is causing the coil to fry, I would buy a epoxy filled. Runs cooler.

http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/msd-8222
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dino

What brand is the epoxy coil that bit it?  They can be bad ot of the ox but seeing you're popping them in rapid succession points towards another source. I'd try replacing the ballast resistor first.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pete in NH

Ghoste,

Let's start at the beginning and see if it might be the wrong value of ballast resistor. What ignition system are you running, stock point system, Mopar ECU, or ? Also what year Charger and engine. Are the coils you have been using for your year car and engine?

Ballast resistors seem to cause a lot of confusion and there are a range of values available. The ballast and coil need to be matched to each other.