News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Too much vacuum...headlight switch wont move

Started by J-440, October 11, 2015, 03:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

68 Charger with the vacuum operated headlight doors.  Everything is new and works.  Problem is, I have to turn my headlights on before I start the motor. The switch is easy to move, the lights turn on, I crank the motor and then the doors open.  If I were to already have the engine running, the switch is too hard to push because of the excess vacuum. 
  Now, I have EFI and the intake has 2 ports, 1 for the MAP sensor and 1 for the fuel pressure regulator.  I originally shared the MAP port with my headlight hose using a "T" fitting.  The engine is highly modified with only 8.5:1 compression.  Is there another way to put this hose?  I thought about a carb spacer with a hole drill and tapped and also the electric headlight conversion kit.  Any place I can drill and tap a hole through the air cleaner assembly?  Thanks.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

J-440

Or maybe some type of check valve going in between the vacuum lines to the intake shared with the MAP sensor?

c00nhunterjoe

How much vacuum does it have at idle? Sounds like a faulty switch.

myk

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 14, 2015, 10:34:36 PM
How much vacuum does it have at idle? Sounds like a faulty switch.

That's what I'm thinking.  My car is pulling 19" and I have no problem moving the switch.  However, when it was NEW it was a pain in the butt to move until it loosened up...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

J-440

Ok I figured it out. I made a sleeve with a smaller hole through it, cut the main hose and shoved the sleeve in between the 2. Just decreased the vacuum is all. Works great now.

J-440

Well dang it.  I'm pulling 17 inches of vacuum and the switch still won't move.  Only way it will is if I pinch the hose then the headlight switch will move and the doors will open.  Problem is the doors won't close.  Does the switch have to be broken in? :shruggy: