News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flasher functionality question

Started by charger-project.com, October 21, 2015, 06:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger-project.com

Hi all,

Excuse me for my strange question but, 6 years ago I took my charger apart for a complete bolt-off restoration, And now I can't remember how the emergency flasher should behave.
When I push the button to "flasher-on" nothing happens. Only when I put my turn signal to the left or right position the flashers start blinking. Is this normal behavior or should it be already blinking without turn-signal?

Thanks in advance guys.
1969 charger restoration, total restoration process can be found at www.charger-project.com and foto.charger-project.com/   |   1969 charger SE 440 727

Pete in NH

Hi,

Some thing doesn't sound right. The emergency flashers should operate independently of the turn signal position.

charger-project.com

Ok thank you for the quick response I will start checking what is going wrong.. :rotz:
1969 charger restoration, total restoration process can be found at www.charger-project.com and foto.charger-project.com/   |   1969 charger SE 440 727

ODZKing

You do have a separate flasher plugged into the flasher plug? There should be one for turn signal, one for flasher in different location.

charger-project.com

I need to figure that out tonight, because I cant remember if I used one or two.

charger-project.com

Does someone know where the the 2nd flasher should be located?

WHITE AND RED 69

Should be behind the ashtray or close to it.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

charger-project.com

Thank you very much I will check out tomorrow morning  :2thumbs:

ODZKing

There are several locations it could be in depending on the  car.  I know 66s are different from 67s.  My 67 has the one by the ash tray and the other by the glove box. My 73 has one by the ashtray and the other by steering column.

charger-project.com

Is it this one?

ODZKing

No, that is your light delay relay.
The flasher, either one should have a plug in the shape of an "L", 2 wires. first one in picture below.

charger-project.com

Ok correct, I have only one of these in my 69 charger, is that still correct then?

ODZKing

Quote from: charger-project.com on October 30, 2015, 07:55:01 AM
Ok correct, I have only one of these in my 69 charger, is that still correct then?
One light delay relay, yes.

charger-project.com

I also could find 1 flasher is that also correct?

ODZKing

Quote from: charger-project.com on October 30, 2015, 11:52:20 AM
I also could find 1 flasher is that also correct?
No, directional and hazard are 2 separate flashers.  It's gotta be in there somewhere.

charger-project.com

Ok, thank you so much for your quick response!

nascarxx29

One flasher almost behind ashtray to right of steering column other behind left side of dash
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

charger-project.com

Is it possible that the flasher does not have a round shape but more like the one below? (image 1)
I've found a picture from my old harness to see below. (Image 2)
Does anyone have a clue what the behavior of the flasher will be if this one is broken?
Because I don't know how to check if this is broken, beside of replacing it with the other one.
Thanks in advance.

ODZKing

That is it. That is an original as it probably clips to the bottom of the dash. That lasted 45 + years ... nice!  :2thumbs: 

charger-project.com

I made some progress in the measuring of the cables of my new wire-harness and connectors, but still no progress on solving the issues.
I replaced the emergency flasher with a new flasher but this didn't work, then I measured the connector of the e-flasher when e-flasher switch was on and also with turn-signal to a position and e-flasher on but still no voltage on the connector. (that's probably the reason why the new flasher didn't work).

What wonders me is that if I turn the e-flasher switch to on, nothing will happen till I set the turn-signal-lever to a position (then e-flashers work). --> the sound of the e-flasher ticking then sill comes from the flasher-unit which is also used for the regular turn-signal flasher. So for both flasher options the turn-signal-flasher is used.

When I replace the turn-signal flasher to test the functionality of my new flasher "HD 12 heavy duty relay" this will make a very fast and loud continues rattling sound.
So I think maybe the voltage off both circuits are leading to one circuit now and that is to high(is that possible?).

In order to troubleshoot the issue I made 2 pictures, 1 is the drawing of the e-flasher in general, and the second picture is a wiring harness from the instrument panel, but I need your input on that guys. as you can see on the second picture I only get voltage on the black wire of the turn-signal flasher. is that normal and does someone know what the voltage-level should be there?

Also in order of troubleshooting I need to know that the middle center thing is where all cables looks like come together?

Hard Charger

my 68 had one flasher on each side of the ashtray behind the dash. they sit in clips.

when I reassembled my dash the E. flasher would not work. I changed the relay and they work fine.

charger-project.com

Hi Guys,

I finally figured out what was wrong with my flashers, so I will reply my answers:
The new flasher that I bought didn't work, so what I did to double check if the original ones are working is swapping the flashers on each-others L-shaped connectors. This worked so the flashers are working.

Then I studied the end to end wiring for both flashers.
I started with buying a test-light which can detect positive and negative voltage.

The troubleshooting started by testing where the voltage is coming from (fusebox)
When I measured the upside of the fuse this contains voltage, when I measured the bottom end of the fuse no voltage  :rotz: (signs of a burned fuse)
But when I take the fuse out this was still in a perfect shape not burned/broken at all.

I really was wondering what was wrong maybe wrong-production (never seen that before).
I asked my dad, he told me maybe it was sprayed in manufacturing or just oxidised. --> I was not confident if this was my issue.

I replaced the 20A glass fuse and the dome light + map light immediately starts lighting up. checked flashers and the problem was solved.
But when i switched of the maplight I heard a short circuit noise and all lights were out again, checked the fuse and yes still the same problem, cannot see anything on the fuse.
Because the map light was the issue of the short circuit I removed all the wire harness of it back to the fusebox.

So now the flashers work again, both e-flashers and turn-signal flashers.

But since I have removed the maplight harness which also contains the light delay relay I figured out the dome light is not going out when the doors are closed (door-jam switches are activated). Does anyone know if the maplight harness( light delay relay) has a relation to door jam switch functionality?

charger-project.com

Never mind, the doorjamb switch/ dome-light functionality had nothing to do with the flasher harness, this was caused by bad ground. Thanks for helping all.