News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weird Issue with ignition

Started by Calif240, October 21, 2015, 08:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

Guys... weird question here. My car just started doing this. About 50% of the time now it starts right up, purrs like a kitten... The other 50% it clicks over and the entire electrical system cuts out (stereo, lights, etc). I'd normally think this is a short, but all of my fuses are fine. If I remove a battery cable and replace, then it fixes and either will click and "short" again or will go ahead and start. Also, If I let the car sit for some time, it will "reset" and be able to start. Really confused. Here is what I have in electrical system:
Painless wiring
MSD 6AL box
FireCore Dist
FireCore Coil

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

1973rallye

Ignition switch is my guess.
Same issue with mine. Ran a test light from coil back to under dash. It became easier to diagnose when I suddenly lost a signal indicator and saw a wisp of smoke come from the column. Ignition cooked and likely took the signal switch with it. Waiting for both to be delivered as we chat.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker