News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there an optimal setting for the timing?

Started by johnnycharger, October 21, 2015, 09:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

Quote from: johnnycharger on November 17, 2015, 11:12:39 PM
Yea it is frustrating.  The base now a little drop to it but I don't think it can go much lower without interference. I read on one of the posts that the DP4B may be shorter...

There are various drop bases that can be used to fit a performer RPM or other air cleaners under the hood.  I am using a 1.75" drop 16" diameter made by keyser manufacturing (Summit carries them) with a 1/2 in spacer and an air filter at little under 3" height.  The cleaner has a recessed nut and just misses the insulation.  (I ran a 3.75" filter without spacer, but that pressed the top of the cleaner against the hood pad.)  I am running a quick fuel carb, which I think is the same height as your holley but does not have a choke horn. 

I still do not know if you will notice the change made by the intake, but tinkering can be therapeutic.   Is your car auto or manual?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

BSB67

The Performer RPM is too much for your stock 383.  The standard Performer/DP4B will easily support 375 hp without being the weak link.  You're no where near that. 

I have both the Performer and DP4B, in every meaningful way, they are the same.

Dyno testing puts them within a few hp of one another, i.e. within dyno repeatability error.

If your air cleaner is into your hood on a 383, you need to get a different air cleaner with a drop base. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

And if you do go with the Performer RPM the drop base will become pretty much mandatory.

firefighter3931

Quote from: BSB67 on November 18, 2015, 06:07:39 AM
The Performer RPM is too much for your stock 383.  The standard Performer/DP4B will easily support 375 hp without being the weak link.  You're no where near that. 

Dyno testing puts them within a few hp of one another, i.e. within dyno repeatability error.

If your air cleaner is into your hood on a 383, you need to get a different air cleaner with a drop base. 

I have to agree with Russ on this ; the 383 Performer & DP4B are identical so there's no performance advantage switching from one to the other  :yesnod:

When talking about a 440 there is a big difference. The CH4B is a far superior manifold vs the 440 Performer. The runners on the later 440 Performer are substantially smaller and way more restrictive. Good manifold for a towing vehicle that won't ever see the high side of 4500 rpm.  ;)

So....Edelbrock got it right with the lowdeck performer but dropped the ball on the raised deck 440 Performer which is a shame.  :P

To answer your question Johnny :  Stick with the manifold you have...it's more than up to the task for your current build  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

johnnycharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 18, 2015, 01:09:34 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on November 18, 2015, 06:07:39 AM

I have to agree with Russ on this ; the 383 Performer & DP4B are identical so there's no performance advantage switching from one to the other  :yesnod:

When talking about a 440 there is a big difference. The CH4B is a far superior manifold vs the 440 Performer. The runners on the later 440 Performer are substantially smaller and way more restrictive. Good manifold for a towing vehicle that won't ever see the high side of 4500 rpm.  ;)

So....Edelbrock got it right with the lowdeck performer but dropped the ball on the raised deck 440 Performer which is a shame.  :P

To answer your question Johnny :  Stick with the manifold you have...it's more than up to the task for your current build  :2thumbs:

Ron

Thanks Ron!

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

johnnycharger

Quote from: BSB67 on November 18, 2015, 07:59:14 PM
Quote from: johnnycharger on November 18, 2015, 01:40:30 PM

Thanks Ron!

Any everyone else too, right?
Of course! Sorry(it was early)... thank you too and to everyone else that have been chiming in! :cheers: :2thumbs: