News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upgrading the seats for a car that turns corners !!

Started by Kern Dog, October 21, 2015, 11:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Both sides are in, I just didn't snap a picture yet.
I did expect the car to feel different with the seats, but I'll admit that I was really amazed by how much! Before, each sudden movement whether turning, stopping or accelerating resulted in springy seat action and a feel that I was not in as much control of the car as I wanted. Now it feels like I am locked in place and my body isn't sliding or bouncing around when I get aggressive.
Total cost: $425 for seats and metal stock for brackets.    :2thumbs:

myk

I am 100% 'jelly. 

Looks like you got your 3 point belts in too?  Those are critical, by the way.  After I installed my aftermarket seats I noticed that the seats did what they could to keep me in place, but the belts didn't do squat to hold me in so I ended up having to change those, also.  Now with the high seat bolsters and support along with 3 point belts I can actually take a fast turn without flopping around lol...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

johnnycharger

Looks great! I have an Srt4 and those seats a really comfortable.  Good for cornering and long drives.
Are you going to sell the originals?

Kern Dog

I rarely ever see 1970 Charger seats for sale. If I sold mine I'd feel like an idiot if I ever decided to return to stock.
Sorry, I'll bag them and put them in the attic. They may never be needed but I'd hate to sell then and regret it later.

ray230

Kern Dog
Don't put them in the attic. I bought a set of 68 seats that had been stored in the attic. They looked great - except the foam had turned to toast from the heat. Just crumbled when you touch it.

Kern Dog

OOoof ! That would suck.  I was just thinking of someplace out of the way and away from rats and mice. My attic is in my backyard workshop. There is no drywall on the ceilings to trap heat like a traditional house but it does get warmer there as compared to ground level.

johnnycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 30, 2015, 05:18:01 PM
I rarely ever see 1970 Charger seats for sale. If I sold mine I'd feel like an idiot if I ever decided to return to stock.
Sorry, I'll bag them and put them in the attic. They may never be needed but I'd hate to sell then and regret it later.

I don't blame you one bit! :2thumbs:

ray230

Kern Dog

Not to brag, but the weather here is decent. Low humidity although it will get over 100 in the Summer. Winters rarely go below 30 degrees.

Kern Dog

Kern Dog

Last picture for the day:

ray230

Looks good! You don't know how many of these I thought about bidding on Ebay, but in the end I decided to recover and foam the 68 seats I bought. (winter project)

johnnycharger

Are you going to publish your prints for how to make the mounts? :icon_smile_big:

Kern Dog

Mounts were pretty easy. The Drivers side outer mount was the tallest of the 4 mounts. 16" long and tapered from 2 1/2 at the front down to 1 1/4 at the rear. My methods for sizing the mounts were not scientific: I built the first mount then sat in the seat to see how it felt. I had some 2x4 wood to use as patterns. I'd cut or shim until I got it right, then used that pattern to make steel mounts.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

johnnycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 04, 2015, 01:36:20 AM
Mounts were pretty easy. The Drivers side outer mount was the tallest of the 4 mounts. 16" long and tapered from 2 1/2 at the front down to 1 1/4 at the rear. My methods for sizing the mounts were not scientific: I built the first mount then sat in the seat to see how it felt. I had some 2x4 wood to use as patterns. I'd cut or shim until I got it right, then used that pattern to make steel mounts.

Good stuff!

6spd68

Looks great Kern!  Thanks for posting this, as I'm trying to figure out what direction to go for seats with my build.  I'm curious about the SRT Charger/300 seats as well, but I'll be needing front and back.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Kern Dog

Thanks!
I looked at SRT8 seats in the same junkyard (OOPs, recycler.) They were almost 6 inches taller at the headrest. If you can find an understanding yard guy, maybe you can take one to test fit it before laying down the $$$.
The guy quoted $1800 for the front and rear leather seats.