News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody ever tried FI Tech fuel injection?

Started by Rubberduck, October 28, 2015, 07:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

igozumn

Wouldn't surprise me if the drop base affected it.  I gave a long hard look at everything before I put it on, to try and guesstimate what might happen with the changes.  Didn't think having a 3/8" increase in manifold height would have affected it the way it's behaving.  Have to look at the paperwork to recall what I tweaked, but it was only 2 settings if I recall, and it seemed to help.  I may reset it and see. 
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

JR

It's interesting how much the breather can effect performance.

I have a 14 inch drop base filter with the tallest element that would clear the hood. Just to see what would happen, I drove it for a week with no filter at all (my engine is coming out in the near future for freshening up so I didn't care), then after the ECU had learned to breathe with no restriction at all, I put the drop base filter on.

AFR dropped to 10.8 under steady cruise. It went WAY rich. I'm guessing that means the drop base filter is extremely restrictive.

I could reset the learn for the drop base, but I'd still lose the power from drawing in less air.

Not much of a choice though on a 440 powered second gen. It seems you either deal with it, or cut a hole in the hood. I've seen a few guys use ram air boxes with air ducted in from the core support or fenderwells. I'm not sure how restrictive they are.

Ive accepted fate and am going to do a glass hood with hemi scoop, and add a standard base air filter.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

c00nhunterjoe

Or put the filter lid on. Dyno numbers show that as the biggest importance when a drop base is in play, but also works well on any style.

Kern Dog

You mean an air cleaner lid that has a filter in it instead of being entirely solid ?

c00nhunterjoe

Kern Dog

That is great but without rocker covers, your oil is going to get everywhere.

JB400

c00nhunterjoe

They are transparent aluminum valve covers. Top notch, space age technology.

darbgnik

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 31, 2018, 06:03:26 AM
They are transparent aluminum valve covers. Top notch, space age technology.

Yeah, Mr Scott gave the formula to a glass company in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in 1986. Glad they're finally producing it!
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html