DodgeCharger.com Forum
March 29, 2017, 05:17:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please remember: this is the place to discuss Chargers - NOT the place to discuss politics. Political posts will be locked or deleted at the Moderator's discretion.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody ever tried FI Tech fuel injection?  (Read 19786 times)
JR

« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »

That's funny Dino, I was using a billet Firecore distributor before also. It was a beautiful distributor, but there's no replacement for modern technology.

I'm using an MSD Blaster coil. (I cant remember​ if it's a Blaster or Blaster 2). Nothing special.

The difference in smoothness is huge. I just got back from a drive and I'm very pleased. The car runs through the Rev range fantastic. The pull from 55 to 90mph is silky smooth.  Dare I say it almost feels like a modern engine.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green
Dino
Old Timer

Forgotten but not gone

« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »

That's so good to hear. And that's exactly what I want for my car, and no fuel smell!

When I installed the Firecore RTR system, I merged the blue and tan wires that went to the ballast resistor so I could have power in key and run for the CD coil and I got rid of the ballast resistor. I merged the wires inside the car so they go to the bulkhead connector as one. That way I could run a single heavy gauge wire to the coil. Do I need to undo this?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
JR

« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »

Actually, you're good Dino, I'd leave it.

FItechs (and the other TBI kits) need a power wire ran that's hot during start AND run. You would have to do that same modification when you install EFI anyways.

Consider yourself one step ahead in your conversion. icon_smile_big

Dino
Old Timer

Forgotten but not gone

« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2017, 11:44:16 AM »

Well that's a welcome change!  lol

2thumbs

garner7555

« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »

Great news JR!   cheers

I figured it would be a solid improvement. I'll have to sell off my Firecore stuff and get some new goodies. Sad that it won't work with the EFI systems as it's a solid ignition system, but I'd like to have the computer control it as well.   yesnod

What coil do you use?

I bought a 2 wire Firecore distributor just because I wanted to use timing control with my FiTech.   I sure hope it works!   

69 Charger 440 "under construction"
70 Challenger "rust bucket"
Dino
Old Timer

Forgotten but not gone

« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2017, 06:36:24 PM »

Great news JR!   cheers

I figured it would be a solid improvement. I'll have to sell off my Firecore stuff and get some new goodies. Sad that it won't work with the EFI systems as it's a solid ignition system, but I'd like to have the computer control it as well.   yesnod

What coil do you use?

I bought a 2 wire Firecore distributor just because I wanted to use timing control with my FiTech.   I sure hope it works!   

As long as it's not the RTR dizzy then it will. I wish they came without the vacuum advance pod. Still, I may end up getting that exact same one. I really like the quality of the Firecore products. I'm definitely keeping my plug wires!   yesnod

garner7555

« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2017, 06:42:27 PM »

My 2 wire doesn't have vaccuum advance if I remember correctly.   I think it was mechanical advance only (which I already locked out at 0).       2thumbs

Dino
Old Timer

Forgotten but not gone

« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »

My 2 wire doesn't have vaccuum advance if I remember correctly.   I think it was mechanical advance only (which I already locked out at 0).       2thumbs

What!? Firecore sells two wire dizzies with mechanical advance?? Oh dude! I had no idea! Well that settles it then, I'm getting one of those.   yesnod

Where did you buy yours?

garner7555

« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »

Here is a picture of my current setup.   I like the small, sleek look of the Firecore.    I ordered mine through Ron (Firefighter)

* 12963623_1387978694561577_2764247724573264790_n.jpg (94.4 KB, 960x720 - viewed 60 times.)

garner7555

« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »

Another angle.

* 11219599_1387978617894918_3498901544760623290_n.jpg (88.78 KB, 960x720 - viewed 59 times.)

Dino
Old Timer

Forgotten but not gone

« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »

Ah gotcha, you're running the tall dizzy. I need the stock size and that one only comes with the vacuum advance. Maybe there's a block off plate for those. I'll have to check.

JR

« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »

Garner, if that is an equivalent distributor to the msd pro billet it should work fine, no worries.

I forget the model number, but my firecore was the direct replacement stock style distributor with vacuum advance. It would not work with timing control, it would be like trying to use a stock distributor.

Heres the best pic I have of the old distributor I had that I replaced. 

Yours looks different,  I think youll be fine.

Dino
Old Timer

Forgotten but not gone

« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »

I thought all you needed was a two wire? I know the RTR doesn't work because it has its own ECU. So what type is needed to work with timing control? What's special about them? Or what does a stock electronic distributor lack to work with timing control? I have lots to learn here.   icon_smile_big

garner7555

« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »

Garner, if that is an equivalent distributor to the msd pro billet it should work fine, no worries.

I forget the model number, but my firecore was the direct replacement stock style distributor with vacuum advance. It would not work with timing control, it would be like trying to use a stock distributor.

Heres the best pic I have of the old distributor I had that I replaced. 

Yours looks different,  I think youll be fine.

Actually, from what I'm told you can use a stock style 2 wire distributor if you "lock it out".  I think you have to weld it to lock it out.    This obviously isn't the best way though.    In my opinion the Fire core or the MSD like you used are far better quality than necessary.  However, the stock "rebuilt" 2 wire distributor was less than adequate in accuracy.   

Thanks for the write up JR.  I have been waiting to hear how you liked it. 

JR

« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2017, 09:22:55 PM »

Actually Garner, a stock distributor will not work. Even with the advance locked.

I learned this while I was experimenting with timing control a while back. Stock distributors dont produce a clean enough signal for the Fitech to read. Too much RF interference. I actually tried a stock distributor, and the standard replacement firecore. Neither would work, both threw a trouble code for  "ignition noise" or something like it. The phasable rotor is also VERY important. You have to set the initial base timing by turning the distributor the traditional way, program the base timing in the computer, then phase the rotor.

Heres a quote from Johnny at Pace Peformance who explains it better than I can:

"....Fitech Compatible Ignition system.

OK..so there are several considerations with ignition components that work, and that don't. Primarily...The factory chrysler ignition needs discarded entirely. But i'll come back to this and explain why in a moment.

All of the fitechs require a clean tach signal to operate. So this needs to come from the above. The factory chrylser stuff simply does NOT have it. Do NOT waste your time thinking you're going to "make this work somehow" with a $40 rock auto distributor, or a $20 piece of shielded wire... I have had 100 guys call me back at a later date to order the distributor i told them then would need, and about 1 to date that somehow got a mopar distributor to work. it's simply not worth sacrificing the reliability, and initial setup if your $1500 worth of EFI system and pumps...on a 40 year old, or $40 distributor.

2. All the other fitech units can control timing, or can work in fuel only. For Timing control. this requires a pro-billet, pro-series style distributor with a phasable rotor....
"

Here is the thread. http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/threads/fitech-efi-question-and-answer.27076/

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: