News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big electric issue weird behavior

Started by charger-project.com, October 29, 2015, 04:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger-project.com

Hi Guys,

More than ever I need your help to figure out what is happening with my wire harness.  :scratchchin:

Background information:
I bought a complete new wire harness(es) from front to the end of my 69 charger.
I am really bad in electronic troubleshooting, but I carefully rebuild and connect everything the same as my old harness.

Strange behavior that is happening:
When I turn on my flasher button/switch on the dash: no turn-signal lights work, but when i set my turn-signal lever to a position all flashers will work, and if I push the brake the dome-light + map-light starts blinking too.

What is not working as normal behavior:
Brake lights
Dome light
Map light
flasher

another thing what surprised me is the light just above the levers for the heater, it just stays continuously on even when the key is pulled out.
I've every wire-harness overview and checked as much as i could but I still aren't able to solve the issue.
I didn't just post a reply on this forum to help but did all i could and know first, before asking help from you guys.

I did a bolt off restoration of the complete car, and this is the last issue I were not able to solve. :flame:
All of your help/ pictures is very welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.

1969 charger restoration, total restoration process can be found at www.charger-project.com and foto.charger-project.com/   |   1969 charger SE 440 727

nascarxx29

maybe bad grounds as you have new harness and freshly restored car .Also check turn  signal switch is it new also.Check wiring diagrams and trace circuits and certain color wires with testlight
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Your dome light and map light  are on a common circuit using the yellow and pink wires
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

charger-project.com

The Flasher behavior is solved see: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120505.0.html

But what still does not work is:

1 Dome-light does not go off - doorjam switch
Because the map light was the issue of the short circuit, I removed all the wire harness of the maplight back to the fusebox.
But since I have removed the maplight harness which also contains the light delay relay I figured out the dome light is not going out when the doors are closed (door-jam switches are activated). Does anyone know if the maplight harness (light delay relay) has a relation to door jam switch functionality?

2 Backup lights
Backup light - I have a 3-way backup-neutralsafety-switch mounted on the transmission. Neutral safety thing works but backup lights doesn't work.
When I bridge the 2 connectors from backup light with a screwdriver this does turn on the backup lights (so they work). Does this mean that the backup-neutralsafety-switch is broken?
(this is was a new one)
1969 charger restoration, total restoration process can be found at www.charger-project.com and foto.charger-project.com/   |   1969 charger SE 440 727

John_Kunkel

1) The dome light bulb is a dual-contact bulb. There is constant fused battery power to one bulb contact and the other is grounded to turn on the light. Normally a switch supplies the ground but any other short in that circuit will keep the bulb lit regardless of the switch position.

2) There are reports that some new 3-prong NSS are too long and won't turn the BU lights on.  
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charger-project.com

Thank you for the usefull information, on some way i think the ground from door jamb switches was not good enough after scraping paint from srew threat the dome light is now working. For the nss I need to check if I can find the old one to test with. Thanks for your help an ld usefull information! :2thumbs: